PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2017, 12:48
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing standards over the years have made rigging failure accidents on modern less likely. Modern single seat gliders are self-connecting, and the sort of main pin arrangement involved in my friend's fatal accident has long since been replaced by arrangements where if it looks like it's properly rigged, it is.

They have also improved crash-worthiness, though I was impressed with the integrity of the cockpit on a Bocian that 'arrived' across a stone wall. This aspect alone is enough IMHO to warrant the ATC changing from T21/T31 gliders to the Vikings.

The BGA continues to be vigilant about winch launch accidents, but also about aerotow upsets where the tug pilot is far more likely to be hurt than the glider pilot, and rigging issues.

Additionally it notifies those glider owners who have provided an email address about ADs, which is getting to the sort of area where the ATC and their maintenance organisation failed.

Out of interest I looked at the Slingsby ADs, and they exist for the T31 and the T21.

https://members.gliding.co.uk/librar...ness/slingsby/

Don't you want to be sure that each and every glider flown (regardless of they type and who the owner is) has been inspected and where necessary repaired to comply with each and every relevant AD, and any necessary repairs have been done correctly? How is that compliance going to be demonstrated other than through complete and up-to-date paperwork?

Why all the resistance to correct paperwork from a number of forumites? If as much effort had gone into willingly understanding what was required as has gone into resisting it I suspect the problem either wouldn't exist, or would be considerably smaller.

And of course you still have your B badge, they don't expire even if they are no longer awarded. I will have my Silver C until I draw my last breath.