PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR 72 Icing & Loss of Control - Recovered
Old 25th Dec 2017, 11:11
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Icing

Two weeks ago I climbed a mountain in ireland to paraglide, I was shocked by the icing on a wire fence and barbed wire. The former was approx a blade of 3mm x 20 mm which reminded me of a lucky escape.
As we know, no aircraft is certified for flight in severe icing and most of us get away with the occasional venture into its’ grips.
Fly barber pole, max descent rate and stay clean as long as possible.
Twice I had it with significant ice build up on our heated windshields but at some time you have to slow down and we were still in the heavy accretion layer.
We kept 250 knots until we were on the glide slope and at the marker it was drop the gear followed by a tail shot (we had airframe and tailplane deice but not both together).
I was ordered NOT to do the tail shot. Night, turbulence and the days when the captain was the captain. I always read accident reports and knew of two Viscounts? Which had gone in vertically when the tailplane stalled when land flap had been deployed.
Too late to argue so I kept one hand adjacent to the flap lever and one ready to push the stick into the panel at the first sign of vibration.
The skipper kept the speed up all the way to the flare...somewhere around flap limiting speed.
Fortunately it didn’t happen but the rime ice on the fence brought it back at How there but the grace of dog...
Attached Images