PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2017, 10:06
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Olympia 463
Cats,

The BGA regime in my time, and I have little reason to suspect it has changed, was that a valid CofA issued by a BGA approved inspector was all the proof they needed to accept that a glider was fit to fly.
<snip>
When was 'your time'?

Even before the non-annex 2 gliders transitioned to the G register (mostly in 2007/2008) the paperwork had to be in order, and that was more than just a CoA.

ADs had to be complied with and recorded in the log book, all repairs had to be recorded, changing tyres had to be recorded, in short anything other than the DI, cleaning, pumping up tyres, rigging etc. had to be in the log book and the those had to be in the DI book.

Part of transitioning was checking all the ADs were complied with and any that weren't in the log book had to be done. We also now record SBs.

AFAIK a Viking is another name for a Grob 103, there is a big list of ADs for those - the other 103 list and the 102 list are almost as big, the 104 list is a bit shorter:

G 103 AD & SB - Fiberglas-Technik Rudolf Lindner - Wir machen Ihr Flugzeug fit für Saison und Wettbewerb

You refer to a fatal accident at PMK. Are you sure it wasn't a PMK glider at another club? If you are thinking of the one I am the details are wrong as well.

A glider with the same horrific main pin arrangement (it's not possible to visually check it's correctly installed) in the US lost it's wings, on aerotow, after several earlier aerotows.

The glider I'm thinking of had it's wings fold during the second WINCH launch of the day.

Both accidents were fatal, and the pilot of the second accident was a friend of mine.