PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Service Medal for Officers
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2017, 09:45
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I offer a couple of seeming inconsistencies, which perhaps ought to be examined.

RAF Reserve personnel in certain categories (eg those holding CC commissions, such as permanent staff at ATC HQs) were not eligible for any of the jubilee medals, even though the RAFVR(T) staff they commanded were. With the extension of the LSGCM to officers, this group is still ineligible.

The status of an officer who has left the service before 2014 but then returns to regular service, seems unclear. Can that person count their pre-2014 time as qualifying service towards the award of the LSGCM when they return to regular service?

Can I also cite a personal example of inconsistent regulations regarding medal awards.

On leaving the RAF, I was commissioned into the RAFVR(T) and could have 'claimed' three years regular service towards the 12 years required for the award of the Cadet Forces Medal (CFM). However, as I had a period as a civilian instructor with the ATC between the two commissions, I could not count those three years because there was a break of service. Now the unbroken service clause no longer applies for the CFM and so I have eligible cadets service over 18 plus three years regular service, with another three years since the award of the CFM and hence should have received a first clasp (6 more years) and be well on my way to a second clasp - BUT - apparently not.

Old Duffer