PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2017, 05:03
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy

Secondly, with the next round of works, remind me not to use LTN in 2018 if I can possibly help it ...
There are positives and negatives to the passenger experience for 2018.

By the time the summer arrives the new terminal entrances, lobby, ground floor retail units, new pier and departure lounge will all be complete and fully open.

On the negative side security will still be operating at 2017 capacity while the old retail units are being gutted and the arrivals experience will also be not great as work continues on the new baggage belts, baggage reclaim area and immigration hall.

The airport claim a new drop off zone will be open for summer which at the umpteenth attempt should ease the congestion but will it?

The big issue for 2018 will be the loss of the short term car park and reduction of the mid term car park. I can only assume that the whole of the multi-storey will become a short term car park rather than the top two floors being reserved for priority parking.

Last summer cars in the short term car park were having to park on pavements due to a lack of bays. All those cars are unlikely to squeeze into the top 2 floors of the multi-storey. Also with only 2 exit barriers it will also be a chore getting out.

Then there is the digging up of part of the dual carriageway for the cut and cover tunnel and the digging up of part of the ring road for the new pedestrian tunnel. No gain without pain but the pain is lasting years with years still to go. Once completely finished Luton will be unrecognisable from even today.