PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2017, 23:14
Not_a_boffin

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Just This Once...
I do take issue with your requirements claim regarding OPVs though. Taking the FI as an example the requirements call for a vessel considerably more capable than an OPV and that that vessel should be augmented by another within ‘x’ days to provide a balanced capability when required.

Not my claim at all, merely the published parliamentary answer to the most recent question "what are the RN standing commitments?". Which are quite clear that while some will usually be filled by a DD/FF, none require this permanently.

Should/could we have more DD/FF out there? Almost certainly - but with a couple of caveats :
1. The T45 propulsion issues will adversely affect our ability to send them on long dets until properly fixed. It's an issue and one that is being addressed - rumour has it that a preferred bidder has been selected.
2. It would be possible to get another DD/FF out there to replace Diamond, but at the expense of disrupting a number of ships programmes - at a particularly sensitive time of year wrt people issues. Someone - rightly IMO - made that call and has stuck with it.

I would not disagree with your comments re OPV. But that debacle is a direct result of T26 and the complete inability of MoD to make - and stick to - decisions.