PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Testing vs Test Flying
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 15:21
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Generally agree with the above, sometimes it's best to use different terminology to reduce confusion (a bit like the great "Engineer" debate). Here's a suggestion only, loosely based upon UK practice and which would at-least be understood in my office and I suspect most equivalents.

Assessing pilot - pilot currently undertaking the assessment of an aircraft under any circumstances.

Check Flight - confirmation in flight that an aircraft is behaving as advertised (typically post-maintenance)

Check Pilot - Pilot qualified to conduct a check flight, currently known in RAF parlance as a UTP.

Examiner - Pilot qualified to assess another pilot.

Examining pilot - pilot currently undertaking the assessment of another pilot under any circumstances.

Flying Test - flight for purposes of assessing a pilot's competence.

Test Flight - a flight in which an aircraft is being assessed for data that doesn't currently exist. This has two versions "experimental test flight" and "certification test flight".

Test Flying - the general practice of assessing aeroplanes.

Test Pilot - Pilot qualified to conduct a test flight. Generally assumed that such a person is also de-facto a check pilot.

Note that I've specifically avoided the term "flight test", it's just too open to misinterpretation and is used in too many contexts.

G