PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life At The Qantas Trough
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 14:59
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

My personal view of of the situation, Johnny, is that VB employees were well aware of what the conditions of employment were, when they applied for the available positions.
VB pilots have seen their incomes increased, with further increases agreed to, and scheduled for next year.
I understand there was a bonus paid out last year as well.

On the other hand, QF employees also knew their terms of employment - and have no doubt structured their mortgages around the same. If Herr Dixon goes ahead with his plans to replace full-time employment with casual - or worse termination of employment - the effect on many families will be enormous.
There has to be some responsibility on the part of employers to their employees.
IMO, Dixon is being totally IRRESPONSIBLE in accepting an enormous salary for himself, whilst insisting on reducing the meagre wages of the mignons, on the grounds that QF can't afford them.
I suggest that if QANTAS executives are truly convinced that shaving off a few dollars off salaries here and there will make the difference between QF surviving or not, they should take a good hard look at their OWN incomes, and reduce them by several hundred thousand dollars.
Surely a cap of around $500K for the GD's is as much as they are worth.

Dixon & Co are making their money by TAKING AWAY from people.
Godfrey, Huttner, etc are making their money by selling/capitalising (on) IDEAS - not PEOPLE!