PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life At The Qantas Trough
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 14:23
Johhny Utah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Kaptin M - I think your judgement is being clouded by your ill feelings towards Qantas & your support for your former colleagues who are with DJ.

You state that Quite so! It was Brett Godfrey`s OWN business plan that was used to CREATE & GROW VB from nothing.

And what might that be? Start up a business with ridiculously where you pay staff ridiculously low wages, but employ well paid PR staff to make them think they they are 'keeping the air fair' in sticking it to the established competition?

Some would argue that this is smart business sense - I guess each is entitled to his own opinion. However, in the very next paragraph, you let fly by describing Geoff Dixon as : degrading the incomes of the workers at the coalface with the one hand, whilst scooping the money saved and pocketing it himself, with the other.

Given the relative salaries (& associated packges) of the 2 men, and the relevant pay levels of their workforces - who would appear to be degrading the incomes of the workers at the coalface with the one hand, whilst scooping the money saved and pocketing it himself, with the other to the greatest extent? I'll give you the answer - it's not Dixon, but the other guy...

It is obvious that Goddfrey, Huttner et al stand to make an absolute fortune when DJ is floated (could this be the reason they are so keen to push ahead with a float despite the current downturn in the aviation market?). And at the end of the day, they have done so all at the expense of their staff.

Is it hypocrisy that Godfrey et al stand to make millions from the float of DJ early next year (after having received a hefty bonus in the form of a very well priced real estate deal not too long ago - DJ island anyone?) on one hand whilst on the other hand claiming that their already low paid staff are now too expensive to compete & therefore need to be relaced by overseas based crew...? I put it to you that it is

Perhaps it's time you took off the blinkers and looked at it from a different point of view...

p.s. I'd be most interested in what improvements DJ staff have seen over time, particularly in light of the recent launch of Pacific Blue...