PPRuNe Forums

Go Back   PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Forgotten your Username/Password?

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 06:31   #81 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: australia
Posts: 655
And swh.. in yr final para re transport, you are trying to be too clever by half... re "not being disclosed in the invoice" Does that alter CASA's interpretation of commerce then ??

Pvt helicopter pilot flies shipping pilot to ships and back, both the ships pilotage fees and helicopter times listed on Invoice. PVT operation.
( hope to goodness he didnt take a beaut aerial photo of the ship to sell to the shipping company as well ..!!)

PPL LAME flies to YWOOP for maint. job, a/c time listed on the invoice and maintenance times itemised. Pvt.operation? Just hope he didnt carry his toolbox with him, or if he did, no tarmac trawlers were at the other end.
Otherwise that would be????? OMG..!! CPL and AOC reqd.. the bleedn criminal!
Safety case, there... Nah !

State Government Dept has several aircraft, flown by IFR CPLs, carry folk from a variety of Depts, who can book seats on, and the other Depts are invoiced for the carriage of those pax. No CP or AOC. PVT operation.

Different strokes for different folks.? Or a bucket of regulatory worms?
Or just a monumental legalistic nightmare/ aka a clusterfcuk.?

And the Aviation industry at whatever level, suffers from it all.
Life's a bitch.!
aroa is offline   Reply
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 08:14   #82 (permalink)
swh

Eidolon
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Some hole
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Abraham
What about if the business expanded to the point that the boss was no longer able to handle the flying required and employed a person to handle the flying side as his/her only task
Still a private operation, see CAR 2 (7)(d)(v) "the carriage of persons or the carriage of goods without a charge for the carriage being made other than the carriage, for the purposes of trade, of goods being the property of the pilot, the owner or the hirer of the aircraft"

A friend of mine is a captain on a 744 business jet (not Australian registered) that is flown as a private operation. I also know of a couple of companies that use PA-31s to fly their staff around in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroa
Tertiary educated with overseas Photographic qualifications, actually..ie a Professional Photographer.
Your degree means absolutely nothing, it is not a CP(A)L and it is not an AOC. Anyone in Australia can call themselves a "professional photographer", it is a self proclaimed title.

For aerial photography the only relevant points are to get paid for taking aerial photos, the pilot needs to hold a CPL or higher, and the work is conducted under an AOC. The photographer does not need to hold any form of qualification, and the photographer does not need a pilots licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroa
Does that alter CASA's interpretation of commerce then ??
No idea, however for your case, a private operation for aerial photography exists if "no remuneration is received by the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person or organisation on whose behalf the photography is conducted".

You admitted that you received money, you would have former clients with photographs and invoices. CASA has all the evidence it needs to demonstrate that you were not conducting private operations. You were performed operations not permitted by the licence category you held (PP(A)L), and were doing so without an AOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroa
Pvt helicopter pilot flies shipping pilot to ships and back, both the ships pilotage fees and helicopter times listed on Invoice. PVT operation.
I am aware of no such operation, and I find it very hard to believe. I have seen the contract requirements stipulated for transfer of pilots to ships at some Australian ports, a PP(H)L holder would not be acceptable by a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroa
PPL LAME flies to YWOOP for maint. job, a/c time listed on the invoice and maintenance times itemised.
see CAR 2 (7)(d)(v)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroa
State Government Dept has several aircraft, flown by IFR CPLs, carry folk from a variety of Depts, who can book seats on, and the other Depts are invoiced for the carriage of those pax. No CP or AOC. PVT operation.
That would depend on the Government Department, and if the aircraft are considered state aircraft or Australian aircraft. Military, police, and customs are treated differently, that is standard internationally.
swh is offline   Reply
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 09:36   #83 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Posts: 2,338
swh;

Exactly what is your reason for standing up to "the law" as the bastard it is evolved to be written" ?

Did you perhaps write it, or help in that bastardization of the regulatory reform process?

Is your income dependent upon it.

Or are you just another out of control, arrogant, Corporate Psychopath?
Frank Arouet is offline   Reply
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 12:19   #84 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sale, Australia
Age: 71
Posts: 3,809
swh, so the trucking operator could employ a pilot and have him/her on call 24/7/52 and flying 210 hours a month without CASA having any concern because they deem it it to be private?
Brian Abraham is offline   Reply
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 12:38   #85 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: N/A
Age: 67
Posts: 739
aroa

Yes, it is inappropriate for a safety regulator to have an economic regulation role too.

I'm amazed at the implication that CASA treat charter safety less seriously than 'RPT' safety.

But I supose that two tier system does allow those fanciful Rain Man style claims for Australian air safety supremacy.
Shell Management is offline   Reply
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 17:20   #86 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,741
SWH, I think Frank an Aroa have a case in regard to photography and one or Two other matters..

Quote:
Still a private operation, see CAR 2 (7)(d)(v) "the carriage of persons or the carriage of goods without a charge for the carriage being made other than the carriage, for the purposes of trade, of goods being the property of the pilot, the owner or the hirer of the aircraft"

Is information acquired a "good for the purposes of trade"?

If someone gives Joe the photographer a memory card, and Joe flies off and fills it with images, and then returns it, exactly what "trade" has taken place?

Similarly, if I take Fred the Real Estate agent for a flight to look at some properties from the air, what "goods" have changed hands?
Sunfish is offline   Reply
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 20:35   #87 (permalink)
swh

Eidolon
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Some hole
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Arouet
Exactly what is your reason for standing up to "the law" as the bastard it is evolved to be written" ?
Let me get my position clear here, I am sticking up for a legitimate GA operator (the one at the start of this thread) who was penalised for abiding by the law, but was rolled by a CASA interpretation of the law put into policy.

We have had a tread drift here on here when another person claimed to have been rolled by CASA under the same policy, however it is clear they were not. They were operating outside of the law. I am not condoning a person who blatantly disregarded the rules, and I believe most people in industry would feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Abraham
so the trucking operator could employ a pilot and have him/her on call 24/7/52 and flying 210 hours a month without CASA having any concern because they deem it it to be private?
That is correct, as long as all of their operations were all private. However the employer would also need to meet their normal obligations under workplace health and safety which in my view are more restrictive than what CASA regulates, as they also look at all the work related activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Management
it is inappropriate for a safety regulator to have an economic regulation role too.
CASA is not an economic regulator, i.e. it does not prevent any person or organisation from applying for an AOC (they are not required to approve every application) for activity which requires an AOC. It may seem like semantics, it is up to the applicant to determine if they are going to conduct an activity which requires an AOC.

CASA does however administer the regulations which require operators to obtain AOCs for various operations, and enforces those rules.

The requirement for operators to obtain AOCs comes from ICAO Annex 6, it is not something Australia dreamt up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Management
I'm amazed at the implication that CASA treat charter safety less seriously than 'RPT' safety.
The distinction is not unique to Australia, schedule and non-schedule operations are incorporated from the various ICAO annexes. It is the same in the US and Europe, where the Federal Aviation Administration and the European Aviation Safety Agency issue AOCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish
I think Frank an Aroa have a case in regard to photography and one or Two other matters..
No, for aerial photography to be private you need to look at the previous paragraph in CAR 2 (7)(d), there are 8 test in CAR 2 (7)(d) for various private activities.

CAR 2 (7)(d)(iv) "aerial photography where no remuneration is received by the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person or organisation on whose behalf the photography is conducted"

They were receiving remuneration for the aerial photography, how the record of the photography is presented is irrelevant, it could be a hard copy print, a negative, or data on a USB stick/SD card.

Quote:
Similarly, if I take Fred the Real Estate agent for a flight to look at some properties from the air, what "goods" have changed hands?
CAR (7)(d) has 8 tests to determine if an operation is private. If it does not meet those tests, it is then either aerial work or charter depending on the actual nature of the flight.

A passengers occupation (i.e. Real Estate agent ) is irrelevant in determining the type of operation.
swh is offline   Reply
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 23:50   #88 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Posts: 2,338
swh;

As a private pilot with a private aeroplane, CASA rolled me when I had no interest in making any money out of flying. My crime was to just be there for them to abuse. My crime was to claim an injustice for a wrong done to me by some mates of a senior CASA identity. My crime was complaining about CASA "loosing" incriminating evidence so it could not be used against their mates. My crime was to politicise the matter. My crime was get to a Commonwealth Ombudsman's recommendations against them. None of these justify being treated as a criminal.

Quote:
Let me get my position clear here, I am sticking up for a legitimate GA operator (the one at the start of this thread) who was penalised for abiding by the law, but was rolled by a CASA interpretation of the law put into policy.
Perhaps what you and I are at odds with, is the fact that you may well be legally right, but I see CASA as corruptly administering bad laws that they can and do exploit to allow them to do whatever they feel like. I regularly see CASA claim the legal high ground when it was them that made those bad laws in the first place.

I am arguing about the morality and interpretation of the laws.

It would therefor appear we are in agreement on this matter.

I sincerely apologize if I intimated you were a CASA stooge especially if you aren't.

That insult is simply too much.
Frank Arouet is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 00:17   #89 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Queensland
Posts: 2,307
Quote:
"aerial photography where no remuneration is received by the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person or organisation on whose behalf the photography is conducted"
Would that not imply CASA is exercising economic regulation, contrary to it's legislative mandate?

It would appear to me that the only difference between a PPL taking a photograph from an aircraft and a commercial photographer taking a photograph from an aircraft, is a financial transaction that occurs at some time post flight, with no impact on the safety of the flight?

Indeed, that commercial photographer has not committed an offense until some time after the flight - which may be in days, months or years - when he receives remuneration for sale of the photograph? How can an economic transaction at some time in the future change the nature and safety implications of a flight that took place at some stage in the past?

Of course, we may not be having this debate twenty three years after the Australian aviation regulatory reform process commenced, had CASA spent the estimated $200 million cost of regulatory reform far more wisely and completed the task in a prompt and efficient manner as soon as possible after 1988.
Torres is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 03:37   #90 (permalink)
swh

Eidolon
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Some hole
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Arouet
I regularly see CASA claim the legal high ground when it was them that made those bad laws in the first place.
I disagree with the premise that CASA "made those bad laws in the first place", our laws are made by politicians (often written by the Attorney Generals Department). It is parliaments role to debate their merits before they are enacted, if we have bad laws, it is the politicians that dropped the ball.

Government Departments administer the law, they are to some extent just the messenger and facilitator, they are also limited under the law as to what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres
Would that not imply CASA is exercising economic regulation, contrary to it's legislative mandate?
No, they are tests the operator (for a private operation the operator is the PIC ) needs to apply before conducting the activity. The law stipulated the tests, and stipulates the requirement an operator needs to comply with.

CASA is not restricting anyone from doing any activity. It is the operator that needs to determine if the activity is being done for hire or reward before the event. If an activity requires an AOC, CASA are not restricting any operator from applying for an AOC. CASA does not have to approve every AOC application, and most fail due to the documented systems and procedures (i.e. the internal self regulation) not being adequate.

CASA therefore is not regulating any operator from performing any activity, as I said before it may seem like semantics.

People think when CASA collect evidence after an activity that includes invoices, bank statements, affidavits etc that they are "regulating" economic activity. They are in fact collecting evidence on past events, they did not prevent (i.e. regulate) an operator from conducting the activity. It is up to the operator to determine the type of activity before the event, and if they need an AOC to perform it prior to the event.

The evidence is used to determine if the operator applied the correct tests prior to the activity, if the operator failed to apply the correct test, they maybe subject to prosecution, again after the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres
It would appear to me that the only difference between a PPL taking a photograph from an aircraft and a commercial photographer taking a photograph from an aircraft, is a financial transaction that occurs at some time post flight, with no impact on the safety of the flight?
Aerial photography is a prescribed purpose under the Act.

A private flight would have no contract in place prior to flight, an aerial work flight would have a contract in place. The contract would include the invitation to treat (i.e. the operator would advise their capabilities, and the client would advise the photo location) as well as the terms of settlement (in exchange for taking the photo the client will agree to give consideration to the operator).

The operator can therefore make an assessment prior to commencing the flight if it is a prescribed purpose requiring an AOC.

A private flight is not required to meet a number of requirements that aerial work flight needs to meet, I have covered that earlier. http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-a...ml#post6347015
swh is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 04:49   #91 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Posts: 2,338
Quote:
our laws are made by politicians (often written by the Attorney Generals Department)
What then do The Office of Legal Counsel do to justify their budget, their insurance cover, their staff numbers and their consultative costs.

Why do we have ex CASA OLC people working for The Attorney Generals Department and some working as consultants?

I believe CASA make the laws that are then "rubber stamped" by ignorant politicians bereft of aviation knowledge, and understanding, after Attorney General "rubber stamping" and processing for Parliamentary consideration.

The word "safety"guarantees this process as nobody, who is answerable to anybody, wants anything to happen that may come back to bite them on the bum.

Civil Aviation Authority should never have had a name change to Civil Aviation Safety Authority. I believe that word, (SAFETY), in the name change was put there for the purpose of misuse.
Frank Arouet is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 05:21   #92 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,741
SWH:

Quote:
I disagree with the premise that CASA "made those bad laws in the first place", our laws are made by politicians (often written by the Attorney Generals Department). It is parliaments role to debate their merits before they are enacted, if we have bad laws, it is the politicians that dropped the ball.

Government Departments administer the law, they are to some extent just the messenger and facilitator, they are also limited under the law as to what they can do.
LIKE HELL THEY DO!

Government Ministers will not do ANYTHING without receiving advice from the public service!!!!! The Fcuking Minister who introduced the laws giving CASA its powers would know that they were written, if not by, in deep consultation with, CASA.

Furthermore, Ministers and back benchers do not have a snowballs chance in hell of finding the time to debate such weighty matters as whether a private pilot should be allowed to carry a commercial photographer for hire and reward. There probably isn't even a single pollie in any Australian Parliament with a pilots licence.

The proposed legislation is given to the Parliament by its drafters as a complete package and that is the end of it unless it is going to have some wide ranging effect on the average mug punter, like a GST or carbon tax. The laws and regulations governing CASA were most probably presented and debated by a half empty chamber at 10.00 pm on a winters night.

To suggest otherwise reveals either a deep misunderstanding of legislative process or an intent to deliberately mislead.

It is perfectly clear that the regulations are deliberately vague and stated in their current convoluted format because it maximises CASA powers while minimising their accountability for their behaviour in terms of equity and natural justice. Look no further than the "treatment" meted out to Butson and Polar Air, which I believe is still the subject of a lawsuit.
Sunfish is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 07:35   #93 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Permanently lost
Posts: 1,639
Chaps, most of what is being debated here are regulations which do not get debated in Parliament. All regulations stem from an Act of Parliament, in the case in point, The Civil Aviation Act of whatever year.

That Act gives the Gov Gen the power to make regulations for the prescribed purposes set out in the Act. Now, I doubt that Her Excellency spends much of her day worrying about what regulations she should make affecting aviation. However, the regulatory authority, otherwise know as the dark side or CASA will occasionally decide that some regulatory changes should be made. They will set out in a form of instruction as to what they want to achieve and the Parliamentary Counsels' office will put that into an acceptable form. Their job is to both draft the regulation and ensure that its consequences on other legislation is accounted for. They do not have any input on what is contained therein other than to make sure it complies with the existing legislation.

The draft regulation is then tabled (literally, the big table in the centre) in the House of Reps and sits there for a certain number of days (don't ask I can't remember) and if no pollie picks up on it the thing then goes to the Senate for a similar number of days. Same thing there, if not challenged then the thing goes to the GG for enactment and the thing becomes law.

The pollies have next to nothing to do with regulations except those that affect their hobby horses, unfortunately, aviation ain't really one of those.
PLovett is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 10:56   #94 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 3,014
So Sunny,

CAR 206 (and its predecessor in the ANRs) slipped under the radar, and no federal politician has ever turned their mind to the problems it causes.

No federal politician has ever had a letter written to them about the problems CAR 206 causes, no oneís ever complained to the Ombudsman about the problems it causes, no report made to parliament has ever referred to it, no court or AAT decision has every turned on it, and no parliamentary committee has ever been made aware of it.

CAR 206 continues to say what it says, ad nauseum, because thereís no real pressure from the organ grinders to change it.

Arguing with and attributing blame to the CASA monkey is pointless. Thatís precisely the reason the organ grinders set up CASA.
Creampuff is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 20:43   #95 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,741
Creampuff:

Quote:
So Sunny,

CAR 206 (and its predecessor in the ANRs) slipped under the radar, and no federal politician has ever turned their mind to the problems it causes.

No federal politician has ever had a letter written to them about the problems CAR 206 causes, no oneís ever complained to the Ombudsman about the problems it causes, no report made to parliament has ever referred to it, no court or AAT decision has every turned on it, and no parliamentary committee has ever been made aware of it.

CAR 206 continues to say what it says, ad nauseum, because thereís no real pressure from the organ grinders to change it.

Arguing with and attributing blame to the CASA monkey is pointless. Thatís precisely the reason the organ grinders set up CASA.

That again is simply untrue Creamy. I have explained years ago on this forum exactly what happens when you write a letter to the Minister about CASA. The Minister does not respond to the complaint, CASA does.

- The Minister hands the letter to CASA and it goes right down the chain of command to the person responsible for the alleged action (or inaction) who writes the reply.

Naturally the reply tells CASA side of the story, and any arse covering required is also performed at this time. This arse covering, if severe bruising is inflicted, may involve an interview with the accusing party.

The writer also supplies the Minister with a covering brief explaining their reply, detailing any corrective action taken (or not taken) and recommending the Minister sign the letter. A copy of the brief, your letter and the Ministers reply are placed in your file at CASA and you are now officially branded as a "troublemaker".

..And I speak from experience in this matter as I've answered letters to the Premiere of Victoria and Ministers myself, as have many other public servants.

Please stop this rubbish that CASA is merely channelling the wishes of our elected representatives. All that Politicians know of aviation is the location of the Chairman's lounge, how to buckle a seatbelt and how to work the in-flight entertainment.
Sunfish is offline   Reply
Old 4th Apr 2011, 21:07   #96 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 3,014
I know how government really works, Sunny.

I didnít say CASA is merely channelling the wishes of your elected representatives. What I said was your elected representatives know about the problems, but donít see any benefit to them in making CASA fix the problems.

All that politicians care about is attaining and retaining power. Fixing CAR 206, or completing the Ďreformí of the regulations generally, isnít going to make or break any government. Thatís why the Ďreformí is where itís at.
Creampuff is offline   Reply
Old 5th Apr 2011, 00:45   #97 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 546
Creampuff...

Quote:
No federal politician has ever had a letter written to them about the problems CAR 206 causes...
Care to make a bet on that?
SIUYA is offline   Reply
Old 5th Apr 2011, 06:04   #98 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: australia
Posts: 655
Semantics, pedantics.....

Glad I mentioned photography and commerce because it has opened up some vigorous and interesting commentary...all good.

As a PPL/criminal/photographer.. of a crime that does not meet the Government standards for what constitutes a crime, has no safety case, but to CASA what does that matter... I'll move on.
And see what I can do from the legal perspective.

HERE's another prime example of the stupidy of the application of "commerce" as a crime.... and the outcome for GA.
During the Dry season the local electrician loads all his tools, cables and light bulbs into his ute, to drive off to a remote homestead, for a rewiring job. No problem. In his ute, he is carrying his tools of trade and goods for sale. Along the dusty road or at his destination he is NOT stopped by The Dept of Main Roads, charged and fined for going about his normal business... as a highway safety implication.

During the Wet season, since all the roads are impassable, the electrician PPL who also owns a C-172 ( his flying ute) loads all the same material into his Cessna. It has a current MR and he has a valid Medical and Licence, and with all the appropriate maps and charts, fuel and flight plan, wx, he intends to FLY VFR to the job. ALL as the Regs require.

But NO.. a tarmac trawler appears on the scene and he gets busted for
carrying his tools of trade and goods for sale... YOU must have a CPL (at much study and cost ... and he doesnt want a job in airlines)and an (at great expense) an AOC... in order to conduct his NORMAL business.
IE.. being an electrician where the commerce is something that happens AFTER the flight.
Jeezuz ..oh the unsafetiness of it all,! oh, think of the children on the ground,! oh !think of the countryside..the GAFA already littered with broken aeroplanes, busted cameras and smashed light bulbs.

WTF has this got to do with safety.?..NIX..NOUGHT... NOTHING... SFA

What is the implication for GA?... just even less of it.
SO...2 aircraft not operating, no fuel sales, no maintenance services required, no parts sales, no electronic updates/radio sales... need I go on?

No point in carrying on the argument with swh re the Regs, he's obviously a card carrying CASAist. I am the proud holder of Anti -CASAist badge #3. Life Member.

But I will mention fraud... as he did.

THe Australian public do NOT know, (or care?) of the VERY MAJOR FRAUD that is the Regulator. CASA.
Ex Airline jockeys posing as CEOs of a major Govt "department" others in the upper echelons fraudulently posing as "ethical" and of "good conduct".

Hundreds? of employees thru the OLC/LSG/LSD/AGD posing as legal whizzbangs scribbling up "regulations" that they fraudulently claim will benefit safety, and save Oz from falling aeroplanes.
Poorly trained staff arguing with knowlegible people in GA, fraudlently claiming they are right.... except the CASA Manual they are quoting from hasn't been updated since 1992.
And AWIs... "Senior", no less,checking an aeroplane and dont even know what they're looking at, and fraudulently making nonsensical claims, and posing as "experts'
NOW ALL THATS a FRAUD.! A VERY BIG ONE.

THIS FRAUD has cost the Aviation Industry and the taxpayer dearly: a dying GA sector, mega-millions of dollars... and still counting !
aroa is offline   Reply
Old 5th Apr 2011, 07:01   #99 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 35
Posts: 282
aroa - where do you draw the line between using a private aircraft for business and having a business based on using an aircraft? What is the difference between one guy being a fly and fix electrician and an entire company being fly and fix electricians?

If you decide one guy, flying one plane is ok, next thing you have an operator who says "no mate, we are not a flying company. I just happen to have 12 electricians with PPLs and some aircraft they use. Why should I have to maintain fatigue and maintenance programs or operations manuals, its all private operations."

That fact is once money is involved, common sense starts to get eroded and corners get cut to make a buck. The guy who flew to a few jobs to get by in the wet season soon starts flying tired to make those extra jobs he lined up or stretching out the next service to save some cash. Next thing you have some C172 speared in somewhere and people asking how he was allowed to operate like that and why didn't CASA do anything about it?

I am not saying the current state of play is right. I agree being able to use a PPL to transport yourself and some tools to job should be a reasonable thing to do. But there has to be oversight when money is involved and the only way to do that properly is regulation and regulatory definition of what constitutes commercial flying. Maybe that definition needs to be able to separate occasional aircraft use in business from an ongoing commercial operation, but I think you need to be careful how you do that as someone will always use the loopholes.
SgtBundy is offline   Reply
Old 5th Apr 2011, 07:19   #100 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 64
Quote:
The guy who flew to a few jobs to get by in the wet season soon starts flying tired to make those extra jobs he lined up or stretching out the next service to save some cash. Next thing you have some C172 speared in somewhere and people asking how he was allowed to operate like that and why didn't CASA do anything about it
Hmmm so if that same dog tired electrician isn't allowed to spend an hour in his 172 to get a job done, he still needs the money, so he's probably going to spend three hours on the road instead to do exactly the same thing...and that is somehow safer?
desert goat is offline   Reply
Reply
 
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26.


vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
© 1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network