PPRuNe Forums

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th Apr 2010, 22:27   #61 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,524
Very straight forward, no checkride required, just a medical and written test.

MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 08:01   #62 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: India
Age: 28
Posts: 26
Thank you for helping

PA-34 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2010, 13:07   #63 (permalink)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Port Moresby, PNG
Age: 31
Posts: 11

I will get a letter of verification for my ICAO Commercial Pilots license from Australia to the FAA. Once that is done, I can sit the FAA ATP medical, written exam and flight test.

Later I would hope to convert the FAA ATP to a Canadian one (Canada and the USA have a conversion agreement). However, on the Transport Canada website, it states:

*"(d) FAA pilot certificates issued on the basis of a foreign licence are not eligible for conversion to a TCCA pilot licence under these implementation procedures. TCCA pilot licences issued on the basis of a foreign licence are not eligible for conversion to an FAA pilot certificate under these Implementation Procedure"

What does "on the basis of a foreign licence" mean? Does it mean they would not recognize my license since the CPL has originated from a foreign country, or that this is only for foreign ATP - FAA ATP direct conversions????

Any help would really be appreciated!

*Conversion between U.S. and Canadian Pilot Licences - Conversion between U.S. and Canadian Pilot Licences - Flight Crew Licensing - General Aviation - Personnel Training & Licensing - Air Transportation - Transport Canada
dillan1planes is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2010, 21:25   #64 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,524
You're using your Australian license to cover 61.153.(d) 3 so you'll have a stand alone FAA certificate and should be good to go for the Canadian conversion. What they're saying is if you got a FAA certificate based on a foreign license without the FAA written and flight test, Canada won't grant you a license.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2010, 12:22   #65 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: on the left side....
Age: 50
Posts: 10
convertion ICAO/FAA

Hi guys!!!
I need to convert my ICAO ATPL into FAA ATPL, I'm Pic with 5000 on A320 on comand,tt 11000(737/767/340 as sic).Does anyone explain me the steps to convert into FAA?? I have read a lot of documentation but is still confuse. Validation form,get the theory exam,go to the sim,???any info will help me a lot!
max gw is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2010, 19:54   #66 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,524
ICAO doesn't issue licenses, your local CAA/DGCA/FAA issues a licence that meets ICAO standards. The FAA ATP is an ICAO license just like a British CAA ATPL is.

The question is, do you want a FAA certificate based on your foreign license or a stand alone FAA certificate. The stand alone is straight forward, you've got the time so medical, written and checkride but unless you take the check in a 320 sim, no 320 type.

To get a FAA certificate based on your foreign license, check here:

Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification

You understand the process, get your CAA to validate your license, take the instrument knowledgeg test for foreign pilots and a checkride.

Last edited by MarkerInbound; 4th Jul 2010 at 20:15.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2010, 15:13   #67 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: on the left side....
Age: 50
Posts: 10
Thanks a lot for the info, and can I get the the PIC A330 if I do the CCQ in a FAA approved sim?? I need the type rating to apply for another job !!
Thanks again for your time

max gw is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2010, 03:26   #68 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,524
Digging a bit further, to put a type rating on a FAA certificate, there needs to be a record of training and a sign off that training has been completed. You don't need that for just a MEL ATP. So you'd need to have some record of the training you've been through for the type on whatever license you have now. The reg doesn't say the training has to be from FAA certificated piklots or instructors.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2010, 17:35   #69 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: on the left side....
Age: 50
Posts: 10
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply,let's see how it goes...
Happy Landings
Max Gw
max gw is offline  
Old 8th Jul 2010, 23:47   #70 (permalink)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle of the Pacific
Posts: 87
FAA to CASA Australia Question

I am considering doing the opposite: converting FAA Commercial & Instrument Ratings to CASA. I already qualify for residency in Australia, so I am only asking about the process of converting my licenses in AUS.

The CASA website seems to be lacking some information, regarding this process.

Does anyone know whether the process would be any more streamlined if I obtained my FAA ATP in the USA, prior to heading to Australia and converting my licenses?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
TheVelvetGlove is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2010, 16:55   #71 (permalink)

Probationary PPRuNer
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: saudi arabia
Age: 50
Posts: 1
Hi guys , I have CPL & IR licenses from Philipine . If I wish to take a A320 type rating in USA do I have to convert my licenses to FAA?
Best Regards
maohaa6 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2010, 13:21   #72 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 773
Does anyone know whether the process would be any more streamlined if I obtained my FAA ATP in the USA, prior to heading to Australia and converting my licenses?
Yes do your FAA ATP first.
weasil is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2010, 15:54   #73 (permalink)

Probationary PPRuNer
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 1
Question About type rating endorse FAA licence

I am Japanese.
I did A320 type rating at Active Aerospase Canada.
Unfortunatelly I do not hold Canadian Licence.
Conversion from FAA to Canadian licence, it will long time to get actual licence.
I hold CAA Malaysian Licence, I contact DCA, answer is No.
I hold FAA commercial Licence, but not current.
You mention SIC endorse is only paperwork.
On my case, do I need require something.
Please help.

Thank you.
masatsujp is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 14:46   #74 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,524
What license did you get the A320 rating on?

To add the SIC rating on to a FAA certificate, you have to go to a FAA office in person and show them your training records and you have to have a 8710 form filled out and signed by your trainer. The requirements are found in FAR 61.55 (d). The training records have to be signed off in a certain way,

“[Applicant's Name and Pilot Certificate Number] has demonstrated the skill and knowledge required for the safe operation of the [Type of Aircraft], relevant to the duties and responsibilities of a second in command.”

I would call the training center and ask them if they have prepared paperwork for a FAA SIC type rating before, they should know what is needed if they have.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2010, 09:14   #75 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: europe
Posts: 6
Hey guys,

I have a similar situation like max gw.

Can you help me choose a good training center for the ATP with A320 rating, and does anyone know if there's a A320 training center in California?

Harvey320 is offline  
Old 25th Dec 2010, 12:37   #76 (permalink)
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BFS
Posts: 1,182

Apologies if this has been covered. I have searched and read all the replies here but I'm still unsure of where I stand. I have researched it though and am not just coming here to be lazy!

I have a JAA ATPL. I also have the letter from the FAA confirming this fact ( verification of a foreign licence). I have began studying for the FAA ATP written exams.
I need an FAA ATP. Ideally a 'stand alone', that is one which doesn't depend on the validity of the ratings on my JAA ATPL, and can have ratings added to it as and when required, independent of the JAA licence.

I assume I need an FAA medical.

I am attending FlightSafety Wichita for recurrent in January.

The way I read it is that if I sit the ATP written exam, then have my check ride on my recurrent, I hopefully qualify for an FAA ATP.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance.
silverknapper is offline  
Old 25th Dec 2010, 19:09   #77 (permalink)
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 173
Conversion? Not really for a stand alone

As some who has done this in the past (almost 20 years ago!), I can tell you that it is(or at least it was!) far easier than FAA to JAA/CAA and a lot cheaper.

You will have to work closely with your training organisation, their examiner and the local FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office - one in each major city/region).

Essentially, to get a stand-alone FAA ATP (they don't call it an ATPL because it's actually a Certificate, size of a credit card with all the relevant stuff on both sides), you will need to do the following:

1. Start studying for the ATP writtens and do the exam - no big deal if you are already a commercial pilot and have a foreign ATPL.

2. You will have to do an ATP check-ride. Either in an aircraft (but only if you go for a generic MEL rating, ie. No type rating). In your caseyou will be doing it in the sim. There are plenty of places that do a combined FAA ATP with a type - usually a B737 is the most common.

3. You must choose your training place carefully and make sure you tell the folks who are doing the training and checking EXACTLY what you want. From what I understand, you are seeking a FAA ATP certificate with an A320 or some other type.

4. You will need to do a full Class 1 FAA medical with a FAA AME. I would do this BEFORE you start training to save you time. Not that expensive and if you already have a JAA medical, no prblem. Somtimes you can find AMEs who do both! This will save you money and you can get two for the price of one - JAA and FAA.

So, a little bit of paperwork, effort and money but a far EASIER proposition than getting a JAA ATPL from scratch. You should be able to do all this well inside a month depending how much studying you've done.

Hope this helps and hood luck! Now if I can only go the opposite way w/o the hassle! Both my old CAA and IAA ATPLs are time-expired and my only licence is the FAA one......sigh
alexb757 is offline  
Old 26th Dec 2010, 11:59   #78 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,524

You are correct. Pass the written and checkride and you'll have a stand alone ATP. Holding a foreign ATP gets you out of having to have a FAA Commercial to apply for the ATP.

Yes, you'll need a FAA medical. They come in three levels or "classes." You need a first class to take the written or "knowledge" test but to fly a Lear or Hawker or Cessna for hire you only need a second class. There are some FAA AMEs overseas or you could get to ICT a day early. Not much to it, see FAA FAR 67. You may need an EKG depending on your age. Expect to pay 100 to 170 USD, the high end is with the EKG.

The ATP knowledge test comes in two versions - 121 or 135. Doesn't matter which one you take, the certificate you get is the same. The difference is which set of rules the test covers and what type of airplane the performance questions cover - transport jet or King Air.

FSI does this a bunch, should be no problem. Do make sure they know you're doing an initial ATP and type. I'm not sure all their TREs can issue an initial ATP.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 26th Dec 2010, 12:15   #79 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: "como todo buen piloto... mujeriego y borracho"
Posts: 2,028
MarkerInbound and alexb757 are mostly correct, save for a minor error about the requirement of Medical Certificates for Airline Transport Pilot certificate applicants.

You are not required to hold any medical certificate to take the "Knowledge" (written) Exam for an ATP and only require a Third Class medical certificate when taking a practical test in an aircraft for the airline transport pilot certificate.

In the event that the practical test is a simulator, then no valid medical certificate is required. However, you require a valid first-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate (14 CFR 61.23).
Panama Jack is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2011, 23:49   #80 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,524
The requirement for holding a first class medical is in the FAA FSIMS, the updated version of the inspectors handbook.

ELIGIBILITY FOR THE ATP WRITTEN (KNOWLEDGE) TEST. Test examiners administer aeronautical knowledge tests in written form or by computer. Since these tests can be administered by both means, they will be referred to as knowledge tests. Before an applicant may take the airline transport pilot (ATP) knowledge examination, however, an inspector must establish that the applicant is eligible for the requested certification in either the airplane or rotorcraft category. Except for age, applicants must meet all eligibility requirements before being authorized to the ATP knowledge test or being issued a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Form 8060-7, Airman’s Authorization for Written Test. Inspectors should use either the job aid entitled, “ATP-Knowledge Qualifications Job Aid-Airplane” or “ATP-Knowledge Qualifications Job Aid-Helicopter,” as applicable, to complete this task (see Figures 5-110 and 5-109). The eligibility requirements for the ATP certificate are printed in an abbreviated form on the job aid. The following is an expanded discussion of the eligibility requirements.

A. An applicant must submit documentary evidence to show at least one of the following acceptable pilot qualifications:

·An FAA commercial pilot certificate,
·A commercial or ATP certificate (without limitation) issued by an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) country, or
·Evidence of United States (U.S.) military pilot qualification within the past 12 calendar-months (such as aeronautical orders or flight time logs).
B. An applicant must process a current first class medical certificate.

C. An applicant must be a high school graduate or the equivalent. ...

D. An applicant must be able to read, write, and understand the English language. ...

E. An applicant must be of good moral character. ...

F. An applicant must have accumulated the flight experience required for the appropriate category rating before taking the knowledge examination. Each applicant must submit logbooks or other equivalent documents for an inspector to verify the flight experience. ...

Since Silver Knapper is getting a business jet type, he won't be "exercising the privileges" of an ATP and so will only need a second class medical.
MarkerInbound is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30.

© 1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1