Wikiposts
Search
Safety, CRM, QA & Emergency Response Planning A wide ranging forum for issues facing Aviation Professionals and Academics

Great CRM Quote

Search this Thread

Old 26th Apr 2003, 17:55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Great CRM Quote

I saw a great quote the other day but my sieve like brain has discarded the name of whomever it was attributed to...

Anyway, there are a few at my airline I would love to send it to.

"It's hard for a man to see eye to eye with you when you are looking down at him"

I'm gonna try to remember that.
Old 27th Apr 2003, 11:12

Grrr

But to be sure: I am not inclined to be looking into men's eyes.
Old 16th May 2003, 20:47

Should it not read " It's hard for a man to see eye to eye with you when you're looking up to him"?!!!!!!
Old 18th May 2003, 21:05

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Friend of mine crewed with a CRM freak who objected to use of the word "You" in a support call. The word was considered too confrontational. During descent the PNF noticed that the captain CRM freak had failed to set the QNH at transition. Knowing that if he said that you have forgotten to set QNH on your altimeter, the captain would chide him for using the word "you" he thought for a few seconds and then said "Captain - one of us has the wrong QNH - and it's not me"....

Is CRM for the birds - or what?
Old 20th May 2003, 21:11
greybeard

CRM for the birds?

Well they may have been ahead of us..

Geese in CRM mode

FACT 1:
As each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift” for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.
Lesson:
People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are travelling on the thrust of one another.

FACT 2:
When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.
Lesson:
If we have as much sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give out help to others.

FACT 3:
When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies to the point position.
Lesson:
It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities and unique arrangements of gifts, talents or resources.

FACT 4:
The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
Lesson:
We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the heart and core of others) is the quality of honking we seek.

FACT 5:
When a goose gets sick, wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.
Lesson:
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

Yes, I know many don't "need" CRM, neither do drunks need counceling, but alcoholics are smart enough to get some!!!!!

C YA.

A lovely analogy greybeard.

I'd add, borrowed from somewhere.. If you think you might need CRM training..you probably do. If you think you dont..you definitely do.
Hawk

Last edited by Hawk; 8th Jun 2003 at 15:53.

Old 20th May 2003, 22:01

Thumbs up

wow greyeard that's an analogy I really want to use, I hope it's not copyrighted , is it?????

GREAT STUFF.
Old 21st May 2003, 19:30
greybeard

Cool

As far as I know it's a freebee, found it years ago and had the very devil to find it.

Big cleanup as departing for Aussie July as considered disposable by SIA under their current lack of loadings, SARS, Corporate panic etc.

Will miss the flying, not the job.

C YA