Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Ryanair B738 off runway in Limoges (LFBL/France)

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Search this Thread

Old 21st Mar 2008, 17:52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry french article. Picture. Seems to have no damage. No injury.

http://www.crash-aerien.com/forum/vi...?p=40121#40121
Old 21st Mar 2008, 17:58

Prediction - Nothing will be reported on the UK news channels.

I would love to know why (as a BA pilot). Whenever such a mishap occurs with a BA aircraft it will be BREAKING NEWS - BA CRASH IN XYZ.

Perhaps someone from the BBC/ITN/SKY could explain this anomoly....
Old 21st Mar 2008, 17:59

Is the incident today?
According Ryanair live flight information the FR1216 and 1217 are both on time.
Good to hear that there is no injuries.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 18:05

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Rough translation............

Limoges (France) -

An aircraft of the low-cost Irish airline Ryanair went off the runway, without serious consequences, at the regional airport of Limoges. The reasons are not known but may have been connected with the weather.

The aircraft - a B737-800 - was operating flight FR1216 between Charleroi and Limoges. The passenger total is not known but should have been in the order of 100. The aircraft had just landed at 1630 local in weather conditions made challenging by gusts and rain when, for undetermined reasons, the pilots failed to stop it before the end of the runway and it went several metres on to the grass.

Slides were deployed so as to evacuate the aircraft and there were no injuries. Several witnesses said that they heard an explosion without being able to say exactly if it happened before or after landing, and others said that the aircraft touched down very fast. The airport management declined to comment. The damage from the incident is not known at the moment.

Old 21st Mar 2008, 18:07

Incident or Accident.........It's a bank holiday so the news hacks aren't on the case. having said that anything that happens outside of the uk and doesn't involve uk citizens isn't newsworthy.....
Old 21st Mar 2008, 18:14

must admit well done

to Ryanair .Press release on website explains all .Now let the investigators look into why it happened . So lets not turn this is into a ryanair bashing site
Old 21st Mar 2008, 18:29

English press release

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/notic...Incident-EN-GB
Old 21st Mar 2008, 18:42

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
IN my opinion it was a mistake for Ryanair to fit the cabin with ASIs to enable passengers to measure the actual airspeed at touchdown and compare that with the speed they have calculated it should have been.

I know that Ryanair's corporate policy is to provide passengers with everything they could possibly want, completely FOC, but this is going too far, IMHO. We don't want this to become another Ryanair bashing, but some things have to be said.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 19:08

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Right Engine:

Publicity is usually in direct proportion to basic aviation survival facts such as the good old addage "'tis always better to go through the far hedge slow than the near hedge fast".
Old 21st Mar 2008, 19:13

Where's the cabin ASI on one of these then? Blowed if I've ever seen it ... must drop down with the life vest on the new ones I guess

Limoges looks much like Bristol except twice as high and a bit longer. They used it all then? ILS on this runway only? And is it 22 or is it 21? Seems to be a bit in-betweeny thesedays, but was magnetically nearer 21 last time old not bold overflew it!

Actually the look of the runway reminds me of Biggin on the Bump http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6067174 ... personally not done bad WX in anything bigger than a PA31 at Biggin, but always thought it must've been interesting in Bernie's Challenger

A skid? ... into a run-off area? Like they have a Grands Prix? Bit of wheel damage? That'll be ok then for the main event ...

Hang on a minute...isn't a 737-800 something like 40m long? And isn't it all off the end?? Oh well, what's a factor of 300% between friends ...
Old 21st Mar 2008, 19:58

Right engine,

As a "posh" airline pilot (BA) you obviously have to take all the crap that comes with it. True enough isn't it? Look at Beckham hahahaha...When you play like the big boys you have to act like the big boys...
By the way; anomoly is spelled anamoly and I know that the BA pilots spend a lot of time studying, but isn't the studying of your first language kind of a must?Flying comes secondary I believe. I don't really know since i am branched down to Ryanair level.

Peace
Old 21st Mar 2008, 20:10

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Generic (not specific to any particular airline) comment.

Are the runway friction characteristics of these minor airports as well catalogued as those of major airports?

It's just that an 'explosion' after touchdown and a skid sounds awfully like aquaplaning and a 'slippery when wet' runway.

Some years ago, the UK AIP guidance to treat 'slippery when wet' runways as icy when they were actually were wet was replaced by the rather useless recommendation 'operators should make appropriate allowance'....

We saw the result of that at Lulsgate a year or so ago - I wonder whether similar issues apply to Limoges?
Old 21st Mar 2008, 20:56

from the statement on the FR site:
Ryanair confirmed this afternoon (21st March 2008) that its flight FR1216 from Brussels Charleroi to Limoges in Western France, which landed on schedule at 16.00 (local), skidded after landing and the aircraft came to a stop approx. 10 metres off the end of the runway in a grass run-off area.
Priceless.

Btw, I am always sad to see an aircraft incapacitated like this, no matter what airline. All the best wishes to the crew involved, hope you'll get through this ordeal in one piece.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 21:09

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, don't think it's a BA/Ryanair thing. More likely it's not reported as "Breaking News" in the UK because it happened in France and probably had mainly, if not exclusively, French pax. However most, most importantly BBC/SKY can't get lots of juicy TV footage from their helicopters.
I'm increasingly of the opinion that, especially with Sky News, news doesn't happen until they have pictures of it.

Edited to add: Just looked through a few of the French websites - seems their jurno's don't care much about the story either.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 21:16

feel sorry for those guys regardless, would be interesting to see where they were in their roster pattern and the duties they performed leading up to the incident. no doubt they ll be close on the 900hr 12 month limit but hey, april 1st is only around the corner and they ll be back to zero hours again, so no problems there then!!!!!
Old 21st Mar 2008, 21:20

Was interesting to note that the ryanair website provided a link to a photo of the stricken plane. Usually when something like this occurs the first thing that happens is the company logo is blanked out.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 23:05

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice link Kalium

Nice one. Did you notice the bit alongside about how RYR have posted record profits complete with a mugshot of MOL? I wonder if they paid for that alongside specially!

Also posted was the fact that the pax were mostly BELGIAN, as Charleroi is in BELGIUM. Like poor old Hercule Poirot, eternally mistaken for a Frenchman.

TOO
Old 21st Mar 2008, 23:49

METAR at 1500Z

LFBL 211500Z 33018G34KT 300V010 4000 R21/1400VP1500 R03/1100VP1500 RA SCT003 BKN006 05/04 Q0995 NOSIG=

Was it on 21 or 03? Could have been a strong tailwind if 21
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 00:59

Was it on 21 or 03?
Interesting you should say that Otto.
If you compare the released image on various media websites to Limoges Airport on Google Earth, the buildings in the background ,fitted with air ducts on the roof, would indeed suggest a 21 arrival to my untrained eye at least
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 01:19

I bet the crew arent thorwn into the media spotilight with a prepared statement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.