Wikiposts
Search
Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Sky Europe

Search this Thread

Old 5th Nov 2007, 12:51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sky Europe

Just heard a rumor that Sky Europe in Hungary has gone bust…. However Slovakian part of the company is still doing fine… can anyone confirm ?
Cheers.
LC
Old 5th Nov 2007, 12:56

SkyEurope Hungary will be/has been closed down as the BUD base closed along with KRK with the season change. They are concentrating their efforts in BTS, VIE and PRG. Do a search and you will find further explanation.
Old 6th Nov 2007, 04:21
Nightfire

Yes, SkyEurope had to close down it's Base in Budapest, officially because they need the aircraft in Vienna. Most Pilots got the option to re-locate to a different base, either in PRG or BTS. The CA's just got sacked and deprived of their last salaries.

They also closed their base in KRK, which was a big surprise, after they had invested all their energy into that base only a year earlier, when it was considered as being a brilliant future. All the investments there were in vain, they just couldn't get it to work. Officially, the reason to close down that base is, because KRK apparently has no low-visibility approach, so during winter time they often had to divert. Funny nobody noticed in the last five years.

The main issue, as told by most employees from BUD, was just racism of Slovakians against Hungarians, and the new CEO not being able to solve the problem. Management in Bratislava WANTED Budapest to shut down.

Old 6th Nov 2007, 09:56

racism?

racism of Slovaks aginst Hungarians?

in all my politeness, you don't have any clue what are you talking about!! (that reminds me recent B.Clinton's speach comparing slovak-hungarian relationships to those at Middle East). That's such a bulls**t, that one wouldn't know if to laugh, cry, p*ke... Sorry, I didn't know B.Clinton is posting here too

even your info on KRK is not 100% correct. you should check your source of info b4 posting! apparently it's just one side (and very out of focus) view on the things of some very dissapointed BUD pilot/cabin crew who cannot swallow the pure facts.

There was absolutely nothing hidden in closing any SkyE base. just pure economy. numbers are numbers and if the investors want to see profit (as most investors like to see their money profiting) that's just a normal expectable consequence.

ps: some facts now about your "racism". about 70% flight crew are non Slovaks!! those Slovak ones are the most friendly stuff I've ever met. Same with the other guys. NONE top management possitions are held by Slovaks!. just a few middle management possitions are held by Slovaks (quite normal as HQ is Slovak BTS based and as such it deals with mostly Slovak authorities mostly in Slovak language) - it's quite hard to imagine, that anybody e.g from PRG is going to take manager duties for which are you required to take office work which requires close coop. with other departments, management meetings etc etc. so I would recommend you to think twice b4 you post such a st*pid bu****t.
Old 6th Nov 2007, 14:51
Nightfire

Well, since you seem to be so clever and well-informed, you will probably stick with your opinion no matter what facts you're confronted with. Believe what you like, it won't change anything anyway, but you're wrong. You probably didn't read any local newspapers over the last two years, did you, and you never had to go to an office in Slovakia with a Hungarian passport. Otherwise you'd know very well about the political problems between Slovaks and Hungarians and the way things have gotten worse and worse over the past years. That's just for the general situation.

In everyday-life at skyeurope, if you were a Hungarian and ever had anything to do in Bratislava base, you wouldn't be so naive. Verbal abuse, discrimination and being blackened with management - all common practice, particularly by some elder ex-military pilots who consider themselves the bosses.
On one occasion, Hungarian pilots were being referred to as "monkeys" by one senior Slovakian captain during an official meeting. On another, a Hungarian captain, after criticising a flaw he had found in the SOPs, was denounced via email as "not being proficient" and "unprofessional behaviour". I still have a copy of that email in my skyeurope-folder.
Slovak pilots flying in and out of Budapest, on the other hand, often showed a high level of arrogance when dealing with ground staff. On another occasion, a purser came back to Budapest after some training in BTS, crying.
And talking about CAs (the weakest and most worthless crew-members among all, cynically speaking), how about the fact (for which I have the paper to prove) that Slovakian CAs got all their uniform parts for free, plus replacement of any spoilt items which is older than a year including shoes and handbags, while the Hungarians had to buy all but one set of clothes (dress, blouse, pullover and tee-shirt), including expensive and basic uniform-parts like winter coat and samsonite-bag on their own expense; needless to mention they never got any replacement? You didn't know that, did you.

The fact that there are quite a lot of foreigners working in Bratislava base doesn't mean that the slovakian part of the Management considers skyeurope as a Slovakian airline. Foreigners are only being tolerated now as long as Skyeurope needs them, but the particular problem they have is with the Hungarians, whom they just hate and bully. Some Hungarian first officers even preferred to give up their pending upgrading, in favour of working for WIZZ, because it was apparent to them that they would have been the end of the food-chain under Slovak management (Skyeurope Hungary was a separate airline before). Having worked for skyeurope for almost three years, I know the "friendliness" very well with which I and my colleagues were treated; I got nothing but empty promises.
Or perhaps you think that nice smiles from a few girls, and friendly emails thanking you for all your effort mean that you're part of the family.

So no matter how much you call me a liar who doesn't think and who talks bullsh**, unless you have any evidence other than that silly email from management (which was so contradictive to the obvious facts that it convinced nobody), perhaps you would like to re-think for a while.

And I'm very well aware of the fact that skyeurope wants to make profit. Looking at their financial situation, it doesn't look very likely that they will do so in the near future, but as long as they continue finding some investors there is still hope. Now I could mention some of the ridiculous and desperate measures that were taken to lower the costs from minus 40million, but why don't we just take a look at the shares of skyeurope, hm? That speaks a clearer language.
Do you see any change in the downward trend since the announcing-, and/or since the actual closing of the bases? Do you see any rise in the shares since the begin of operations in Vienna? Do you expect any significant rise in the shares for the next year? Last year, around December, the shares went up to six Euros for a short while, and now they are at less than two-twenty.

Getting upset just for being confronted with the facts, are you? Go back and do your homework.

And, by the way, I'm neither a Hungarian, nor a Slovak.

Old 6th Nov 2007, 23:46

you just made me sure, what I posted in the morning!

you are right. Sky is the world's worst company to work for. full of Slovak racists and 50% of foreign racists prepared to shoot (or at least blame) anybody whenever you appear at briefing. and all of them are conspiring to close all the bases except the BTS, because they want to build up BTS empire and compete against rest ot the world, because all the rest are just "monkeys" (as you said)

I just don't understand why did you work for them for 3 years if you felt any kind of racism? why didn't you speak up? why didn't you speak to managers (some of them were german, as I guess you are)? Why didn't contact police?(I think racism is quite illegal at europe and for sure in humgary and slovakia) why are you now blaming the company that fed you (and possibly your family) for 3 years on international forum? this forum and especially this part of it is not the suitable place for that! just check the forum title.

Oh, btw, you cannot make me upset at all. At least until you know what's going on. And apparently you don't know. I just wonder if you ever meet any of your former colleagues how could you look at them after posting such bulls**t. There are many of them at pprune!
Old 7th Nov 2007, 05:20

Thumbs up

nightfire is totally right. at least he learnt something in those 3 years.
it beats me how a foreigner like u can think he knows anything about racism between slovakia and hungary? you think it is so easy.
bts wanted to get rid of us and so they managed. thats all. and dont forget that also some of your hungarian colleages are here who are very proud of our german and also english, austrian, czech and australian friends we flew with.
roger and out.
Old 7th Nov 2007, 06:01
Nightfire

@Turboprop: I can look at my former colleagues very well, thankyou. I have no problems with them, and BUD was the greatest base I've ever worked in. That's exactly why it makes me sick when those guys are treated badly and unfair. You won't believe it, but I'm still in contact with some good guys in BTS, too.

Otherwise, your cynical comments don't impress me. Bring some proper arguments and prove it, and maybe I'll go back personally to Bratislava and apologize. Meanwhile, I will go on saying the truth as I have seen it.

@Malev: Köszönöm szépen, I'll see you guys in december!

Old 7th Nov 2007, 08:05

guys!

still the same point. why are you blaming the company you worked for on the international public forum, just because they closed the base you worked at? why you guys didn't speak up to JB or chris (before) if you felt anyhow discriminated or if you have any personal problems? or do you find JB and chris racists too??

to NF: oh yes, I can argue with you about all you had written pretty much. Just two things. I don't find it anyhow appropriate to this public forum (as it concerns too private company matters too, which btw you signed to keep them confidental in you working contract) and the second: you seem to be so strongly focused on one side of the things only that I don't think you would be able to change up your mind even afterwards! anyway, if you find yourself in BTS, I'll be happy to meet you officially and argue about what you had written recently(what about to meet together with JB, he'd be surprised for sure and interested hearing that)! (maybe as well about what different conditions were offered to the BUD/KRK crews willing to relocate in order to allow them to adaptate to new base, better roster pattern allowing to comute, etc.)

it's very interesting that I just landed SkyE airplane with mixed hungarian and slovak crew and when I asked straight about our clever discussion here, they all started to laugh. actually the flight was the same pleasure as if I fly with complete slovak or complete hungarian or complete polish or complete czech or complete foreign crew.

the world is not just black and white (or complete black as you are trying to publish)
Old 7th Nov 2007, 08:53

Come on gyus! The coin has two sides always! As hungarians wer`nt happy with working conditions so were`nt slovaks. But except the stupid jokes sometimes and angriness to cover the flights from BUD while domestic pilots enjoyed weekends with families because of local duty time restrictions they were hiding behind I never felt hate to hungarian pilots in general! Sometimes I did`nt feel welcome at BUD as well but also many times we had a good fun when flying mixed crews. I mean who lives with flying will find common language anyway.And yes I am Slovak! The whole thing is between management and pilots not between us as nationalities. You should distinguish this fact and not to fight together. Base were closed that`s the fact. I`m not manager so I do`nt see behind the courtain but I think that going for VIE is a big mistake! The mood is not good among the crews because of travelling,long duty short flights. And the truth is that hungarian pilots are leaving what I`m not surprised off because if there is opportunity to work at home instead of travelling would you hesitate? Every pilot in BTS understands it since we were travelling for years! To KRK,BUD,PRG. So please don`t spit at each other! We are sailing the same boat with similar problems and nobody is up or down except management pilots. They are laughing after last salary increase! Hope they will do something also for us ! Safe landings and good luck anywhere you go! F.S.
Old 7th Nov 2007, 09:25

finally someone to support me!
Old 7th Nov 2007, 09:52

TurboP difficult to say a support for you! I didn`t say that. Everybody has his a piece of truth but I just don`t like a nationalistic b*****t to be involved in this discussion! Don`t you think closing the basis was wasting the money few last years? Planes were full out of KRK ! If they didn`t earn money somebody should be responsible! As also for crewing policy. But that`s the point-nobody is burning fingers but we can!This company could be a nice place to work if some people know what are they doing! Have you idea how many pilots left since the begining and not just because of salary? Not only pilots also managers are changing faster than my underwear! Those money were wasted even though now the pilots are coming type rated!
Old 7th Nov 2007, 09:53

Who is now chief Pilot and D.O. in ESK? Still Peter.P.?
Is Thomas P. still in the company?

What is the current function of Peter S., the former ?

Greetz from a former ESK pilot, BTS base!
Old 7th Nov 2007, 13:21
Nightfire

First Segment, you've got two very good points there.

1. We shouldn't spit at each other in a nationalist way. Being a pilot is an international thing anyway, and in my present company I'm again working with countless different people.
As I have said, I'm even still in contact with some cool guys in BTS, and it has nothing to do with their passport. The issue I have with racist problems is about the management. Enough said about that; I give credit to turboP that these things are indeed getting too confidential and personal. Don't worry, I WOULD stand behind ALL that I have said even if I came to BTS!

2. Is that I totally agree that VIE is probably a big mistake. Time will show. The load-factor in BUD was also usually very good, particularly the morning flights, and after all the investments done particularly in 2006, this is now all gone down the sewage.

Old 12th May 2008, 15:54

Anyone know the answer to despegue's question?

Thanks
Old 29th Jun 2009, 19:43

skyeurope is in trouble

In February SkyEurope has cancelled the flight Manchester-Birmingham on July 19, which I booked on January 4. On March 23-rd I asked SkyEurope for refund in the amount of EUR 137.00. On May 7-th the Reservation Agent informed me that they have processed my refund request, it was forwarded to the financial department on April 15-th and the refundable amount will be credited back to my card account within the next 4-6 weeks. Nobody contacted me since that time and they are not replying for my further complaints. THEY ARE REALLY IN DEEP FINANCIAL TROUBLE!