Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > South Asia and the Far East
Reload this Page >

From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi Airport

Wikiposts
Search
South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

Search this Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2006, 09:32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All looks good from 10,000 ft, but at ground level, who knows? I've read so much negativity about the airport's readiness for the September 28th opening. Just hope it won't be like the transfer from Subang to Sepang.
Anyone remember the transfer from Paya Lebar to Changi in the early 80's?
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 12:27

Airport swith

Hi Ming....like any other shifting, there will always exist teething problems whether it is KLIA,Changi,Chep Lap Kok or any other. Nice photo..tks 4 ur effort.
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 13:22

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dunno about you guys but I will be a little sad when the change happens...I like my airports with a little character...like a golf course where the golfers wait while you 'play through' in your Boeing...it's just....nice.
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 15:11

CC,

I agree.....many a time have I had the pleasure of being the one 'playing through' in a 747, as well as teeing off towards oncomming landing traffic on 21L.... its gets freaky when your slice from hell rears its ugly head and you wonder if the insurance clauses include golf ball ingestion???

It will be a sad day when the Golf Course looses it biggest draw card....the airport, even though the Military and VIP will stay, it just won't be the same.

The readyness of the new airport is certainly in question and it will be interesting to see what happens and how it happens. Full credit to those doing the job, but I fear that the 'political pressures' amongst other things may have an overall effect on just how smoothly the transition takes place and what after effects are felt by the airport owners and airline customers alike?

Still, looking forward to flying into the new turf...

Cheers...
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 02:42

Maybe the skytrain will be ready....next year. But do not worry, you are nearby Bang Saeng (Fish farms, lot of nice seafood ) and Pattaya.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 19:26

Anybody knows whats the travel time to downtown BKK from the new airport?
hope i wont be put up in airport hotel when they moves Imagine all those activity and fun that will be missed!!!
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 22:03

GTR 34
I think all the area is a huge building site. Thai people are recognised as very fast builders, but I think there will be some issues during a period of few months.
Depending on traffic jam it will take 40 mn up to 1h and (a lot) more to go downtown until the skytrain is working. (Expected working in a year!)
An other option is to go to Pattaya, where you have a lot of attractions....and traffic jam is not so critical.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 02:22

Thumbs up

The Thais on many issues have proven to be very efficient. I certainly speak from experience. A simple thing as lost bag is such a hassle till today at Sepang. The many blank faces one has to face before someone who feels he`s doing you a favor handles the case. At Thailand the same issue is handled promptly & efficiently. The employees seem pleasant & willing to help. Culture & work ethics are completely different form what one experiences in Malaysia. I am sure the surprises at Suvarnabhumi Airport will be minimal.

Last edited by MASsenger; 24th Aug 2006 at 02:32.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 04:57

When Suvarnabhumi opens, the exhorbitant, overpriced, tourist rip-off room rates at Don Muang's AMARI Airport Hotel will come down to earth again.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 05:25

Thanks Asian Frog.. i just hope i'll still be staying near all the "actions"..and i hope bags wont go missing like in KLIA..best thing to do is not check in anything till its all sorted out
Old 24th Aug 2006, 11:49

As Massenger says Culture in Thailand is very different from Malaysia and most of people try to help.
THAILAND is also named LOS (Land Of Smile).
Old 25th Aug 2006, 00:21
The Reverend

I wonder if the barber shop and its lady barbers from the departure lounge in terminal 2 will move to Suvarnabhumi as well? The best "haircut" I ever received once, killing time for a delayed departure!
Old 20th Sep 2006, 15:43

Wait for it folks,
If the experiences of Singapore, Malaysia and HKG are to be used as measuring sticks, you are in for a few turbulent weeks.

Facility aint ready just yet.!
Old 21st Sep 2006, 07:56

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra assured that the new airport would be up and running (full scale and efficiently too) by the end of this month. Most Thais who know the situation never believed him.

Now that he has been overthrown in the recent coup d'etat, would anybody care to speculate whether the new airport will open up on the planned date? I hear that the airport is a disaster. They counted some 500 leaks from through the airport terminal roof, and of course the ground transportation system looks to be pretty questionable for what is supposed to become Asia's prime airport.
Old 21st Sep 2006, 08:14
ZFT
N4790P

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts
It's already opened with some airlines.

BKP transferred all ops from today I beleive. Jet Asia last week and some TG domestic already operating.

Next Thursday everything will transfer there.
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 13:50

Danger

Yep looks like I got to learn some new stuff again.
Old 24th Sep 2006, 14:45

Don't mind about Thai's politic, the airport will run through. Bangkok Air moved there week ago. Thai Air Asia also run and base at the new airport from tonight and on.
Old 29th Sep 2006, 01:25
The Reverend

First day's operation was a shambles. Pax waiting up to 5 hours to collect their baggage. Departure delays and baggage left behind. People complaining about lack of signs and getting lost. Hopefully better days ahead.
Old 29th Sep 2006, 08:27

luggage issue

Thai Airways has sacked the executive in charge of organising luggage handling... Last informations, it seems nearly normal today....to follow up.
Old 1st Nov 2006, 10:45

More than a month after operations I still find that taxying around the new airport to be dangerous. Dangerous because too many pilots don't do their work and familiarise themselves before they get there. And taxiway lights are too bright.

Yesterday when I flew in, an incident nearly occured between an aircraft that was pushing back from F to taxiway D and an aircraft taxying on D. Maybe both pilots of the taxying aircraft was not looking outside, busy looking at the taxy charts missing their turning to E. I do sense that Ground controllers are trying very hard to ensure safe operations. But with them using non-standard RT to help lost pilots take too much time and congestion occurs. Precious time and fuel is wasted waiting for our turn to talk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.