Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight)
Reload this Page >

TIME FOR A PAX WEIGHT/BUILD LIMIT?

Wikiposts
Search
Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

Search this Thread

Old 19th Apr 2006, 18:10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just returned from a flight on an A320, where I had opted a 3+1 to be seated with my wife and kids. they took the 3, I took the 1 by the aisle. Next to me were seated a couple in their seventies. she was by the window, he was next to me - so big that I spent the entire flight sat at 20 degrees bank to the aisle.

If the klaxon had gone off, they were screwed. If I had been at the window side of him, I would have asked to be moved, as he would have unreasonably impeded my escape.

I paid the same ticket price, and yet suffered discomfort through the flight. He was such a size that he couldn't get his table down to eat dinner.

Is there not a case for size limiting passengers like they do with that hand luggage guide frame they have a check-in? If you don't fit in this cage, or tip over 200 lbs on the scale, you can't fly in 31 inch pitch seats or less.

Also, why do airlines insist on carrying around all that extra weight of perfume, and crap gifts which nobody seems to buy. Given the option, I would rather benefit from the weight saving in the price of my ticket

Rant over
Old 20th Apr 2006, 00:52

Fat passengers

It is way over due, that fat people be deprived of certain liberties, due to their own selfishness.
Not only seating in aircraft but many other areas, obese people compromise others comfort because of their lack of consumption control.
Being seated in an aircraft, every passenger has paid for the right of comfort and this should not be compromised.
The sooner that airlines take this approach, the better for all.
My sympathies to anyone who has endured a flight with an obese (fat) person beside them.
Old 20th Apr 2006, 06:26

Shining Example, apparently...

Not very PC Gordstar; chronic over-eaters generally have woes which apply to smokers, alcoholics, druggies and other comfort-seeking escapists. Which, let's be honest, applies to all of us to some extent - certainly to me on a Friday night. But I sympathise with your take.

I'm reminded of a post on here a while back. Someone quoted a survey whereby 85% of compaining pax said they were miffed at the obesity of the person next to them. The other 15% complained that... the inflight food portions were too small. Can't say I buy it, but I liked the story.
Old 20th Apr 2006, 07:23

For consideration, I've always thought SouthWest handle the issue with commonsense, intelligence and consideration for all, as shown with their Customer of Size Q&A
Old 20th Apr 2006, 08:08

Successive generations have got bigger, unfortunately seat width at the back hasnt. I seem to recall Virgin being sued and losing a case where a passenger suffered injury due to being unable to sit correctly in their seat next to an 'oversize' passenger.
Old 20th Apr 2006, 09:22

If I may weigh in here, at the risk of offending the gravitationally-challenged, I think this idea is way overdue. The issue is particularly noticeable when making the transition between my usual stamping ground of Asia, where the majority of travellers are of diminutive stature, to the USA, where they are not. I don't think we are doing anyone any favours by ignoring this matter, least of all those in need of an extra seat. I have a friend, who is of the "pie-shifting persuasion" and he positively dreads the prospect of flying in the smaller-cabined aircraft, such as ATRs. I am sure if the option to purchase an additional seat at a discount were available, he would not be offended and would jump at the chance (if he were not too fat to do so).
Old 20th Apr 2006, 11:24
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks TS for the link to Southwest's policy statement. That has to be one of the finest bits of corporate writing I have ever seen. I vote for it to be made policy by all carriers. Europeans based carriers should be thinking VERY hard about introducing this as we are so rapidly catching up with the Americanos on size.
Old 20th Apr 2006, 12:02

Person size Vs. Airline seating

My thanks to Crepello for his/her comments, recieved, understood and partially agreed with.

Further comment which has occurred is good to see, and I encourage this discussion to a hopefully well considered aviation company policy rethink.
Old 20th Apr 2006, 16:20

Does this mean I have had a good idea then?

Do I win five pounds?

Be sure to tell Astraeus and MyTravel as well, as that is who I had flown with - doubtless someone else suffered on the outward sector
Old 20th Apr 2006, 21:24

pax weight and size

Standto, if the airlines did something about the matter, I think you would indeed earn more than 5 pounds, due the savings they could make is fuel savings!
Old 21st Apr 2006, 21:22
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes, we do seem to pick up the very best ideas of the Americans. At this rate, we'll soon start to support their plans to invade Iraq ...
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 09:04
Supercalifragilistic
expialidocious

I'm repeating myself...

I agree, there have been threads on this before,
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...memetic+weight

My suggestion was to weigh passengers and thier luggage at check in. Make it attactive by rebating "unused" allowance as frequent flyer miles - or carbon tax credits!

I'd also like to see have duty free ordering in the terminal with delivery at destination - which gives you something to collect while you wait for your luggage to show up and now I think about it agian would spread out the passengers so the flow through baggage claim and imigration could be smoother.
Old 24th Apr 2006, 19:02

Hi,

Sorry, I don't normally visit this forum, but I was just passing and noticed two threads. This one and the other relating to leg room due to seat pitching.

Now, I am 6'4 and naturally long legs. I cannot do anything about it. My height is purely as nature intended. However, due to the natural growth, I am penalised if I want extra room for my legs. I am either not safe in the aircraft (in the case of emergency) or I have to pay extra. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no choice as to my height. I cannot do anything to become smaller. (an unfortunate side effect as well is that I am fairly heavy (230 pounds) but I look slim and can most certainly fit a seat with no spillover).

As for overweight people, I am in agreement. Overweight is not natural (in most cases). If someone needs a wider seat, then they should pay for it, or else not allowed to board. Overweight people DO have a choice. Pay more or become healthier.

I think a spillover guage would be a good idea.
Old 26th Apr 2006, 10:21

I can see the quest for a solution to this becoming more urgent as the years go on. In Asia, the younger generation is noticeably taller and wider than their parents and this has happened inside a generation. For today's teenagers growing up in Japan, Korea and some of the other Asian countries, there is often no difference in size between them and Europeans. In the USA, they seem to have exhausted vertical growth, in favour of girth.

That said, flying is becoming a demand-derived business, like shipping; the demand is there and will be satisfied one way or another.

Personally, I like the Southwest example, cited by our moderator. Wonderfully phrased in politically-correct language, far beyond my jaded ability.

But otherwise, I wonder if it is possible to design a seat which can be varied in width (and maybe even legroom for our friend FanPilot). If adjustment past a certain point were required, a charge could be made.
Old 26th Apr 2006, 14:15

daedalus

I am horrified that some people think that all of those who are overweight are "Billy Bunters" who constantly scoff cream buns.
It is simply not true. I am obese by the medical definition. I eat two meals a day, not three. I never snack. I eat no junk food. I never take dessert. I swim and walk whenever I can. I have not had a chocolate since Christmas.
I know many people (and hate them) who eat far more than I do and can still hide behind a lamp-post. It's a question of body type and metabolism in many cases and any discrimination would be quite unfair to those in my situation.
Old 26th Apr 2006, 17:01

Exclamation reply to own post!

Having said the above, I have to admit that when visiting the USA I am as a sylph-like gazelle in comparison to the hippopotami I see wandering about, this especially so in Disneyworld Florida, where I have never seen such huge herds of grazing people.
Old 28th Apr 2006, 15:40

PAX Weight/Build limit

I agree that it's not pleasant sitting next to overly-large or unpleasantly aromatic folk for any length of time. The weight thing I can accept is sometimes caused by factors outside the person's control but I cannot abide the b*gg*rs who can't be bothered with basic personal hygiene - the latter should not be allowed to board!
It does seem perverse however that despite documented scientific proof that the human race is getting larger (& I don't mean obesity but physiological/genetic generational growth), airlines insist on cramming in more seats & demanding ever smaller a/c. I can siympathise with their need to make money but it's getting beyond a joke. Fortunately I am able to travel busi class on LH but the many European SH's I do are becoming increasingly unpleasant as the result of the attempts at miniaturisation by some carriers. I particularly cannot stand Embraer 145's which, for anyone over 5'6" and/or 11 stone, are a pain in the neck ( and back, ass, legs, shoulders, etc.). Throw in the current inclination for folks to take all their earthly possessions on as hand baggage & the flight becomes a real penance. Mind you the 146 ain't much better.
If the carriers have to increase prices to provide a civilised service then so be it. Sorry to sound harsh but air travel isn't a privilege, no matter how many chavs think it should be!
Old 28th Apr 2006, 17:46

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The news article highlighting the Virgin Atlantic case brought some incredible things to light (for me):

1. Seems America has another "association" - National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance.
2. This association has taken it upon themselves to stop "discrimination" against fat people by the airlines!

Where does it end?!
Honestly, I'm sorry for the few folk who have no control over their weight due to a medical condition, but the chavs who chow down on Maccas 24/7 need to have their stomachs stapled. Either that, or eat properly in the first place. An airliner toilet is cosy at the best of times, but I cannot imagine using one if I weighed 120kg+, let alone trying to get into or out of seat D/E in a 2-4-2 cattle class.
Old 1st May 2006, 09:49

One thing they could do is calculate the total weight of the PAX plus their baggage. For example, I was 3Kg over weight (20Kg allowance) checking in for a TCX flight last September. The check-in staff pointed it out, but let me off saying I may get charged on the way back. The two people behind me were almost obese - as a guess I would say he was about 3 stone heavier than me, and she was probably 1 stone heavier. That's about 25Kg in total more than my entire suitcase!

So if you're a larger person, you either take less, or pay more - after all you are using up more space and more fuel.
Old 6th May 2006, 01:41

Couldn't agree more, dwshimoda.

Interesting that in Germany doorframes and train seats, among other things, are super-sized compared to the UK where I live - you feel you are wandering among a nation of giants. But doesn't apply to planes - least of all Lufthansa,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.