Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Airlines, Airports & Routes
Reload this Page >

''Ryanair caught napping'' C4 TV 13 FEB 9pm

Wikiposts
Search
Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Search this Thread

Old 6th Feb 2006, 21:05
Dash-7 lover

Hey - keep seeing adverts for this Dispatches programme next week on Channel 4 - adverts are pretty close to the mark!! Cabin crew saying 'welcome aboard your Ryanair flight - please keep the noise down as my colleague is asleep, also you may find life jackets under your seat but we haven't had time to check' etc etc- look like another mud slinging effort - what comes around goes around!

Old 7th Feb 2006, 09:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair-Caught Napping...Channel 4 Monday 13th Feb 8pm

anyone see the advert for this documentary on Monday?

Looks very very interesting and possibly damaging?
Old 7th Feb 2006, 09:40

I'm guessing there will be some undercover footage of staff.

Hope it's not too damaging for individuals.

NL

Last edited by Northern lovely; 7th Feb 2006 at 10:58.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 09:52

Don't be disappointed if it:

- Is full of technical errors which every pilot will guffaw loudly at.
- Contains trivial incidents probably found in just about every airline in Europe.
- Wastes half of it's running time on subjective, emotional, speculative rubbish that would be better placed down the pub.

because I will be bloody surprised if it doesn't.

Cynical, not me, but just about every documentary about aviation I have seen (since I got into flying) ticked all of the above boxes.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 10:32

Let's hope it's a complete flop, gets no ratings, the director is fired, and the whole show is replaced by the Two Ronnies.

Maybe then these pond life will leave this industry alone. We've got enough problems as it is
Old 7th Feb 2006, 10:39

or, maybe it will be a success and eyes will be opened I'm surprised FR lawyers are not already on the case to get it stopped
Old 7th Feb 2006, 10:43

Haven't seen this programme advertised yet. Did hear that one of our girls made a spoof video on her phone with fake demo's and stuff. Have heard that it's very funny. I do hope it's nothing to do with that. Can't people say or do anything in aviation without it being taken so seriously, or some journalist making a quick bit of extra cash at the expense of those working in the industry. Aren't those who work in aviation allowed to have fun or enjoy their job? Without whatever they say/do/think being placed under the mircroscope for an uneducated (in flying terms) audiance, sat on the sofa watching channel 4 and making judgements over a non-event. If the public want to believe all they see about flying, then just stick the comedy film "Airplane" on instead and call it a Channel 4 undercover exclusive.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 11:01

No doubt there will be some lawyers earning good money at the moment trying to secure an injunction. Strange to advertise it so early to give them a heads up. Yesterdays AAR incident won't be helping their cause any though. Ouch.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 11:23

Rotate on this!

Originally Posted by RogerIrrelevant69
Don't be disappointed if it:

Is lambasted before it's even aired......
Old 7th Feb 2006, 11:48

Read again SLFguy:

Quote: "Don't be disappointed if it:
because I will be bloody surprised if it doesn't."

No lambasting from me. Would be very bloody happily surprised if it manages to be both informed and objective.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 12:43

If the viewer isn't objective to begin with, the most objective programme won't sway his prejudices.

Fact is that the programme won't make any difference. The anti-Ryanair brigade will say it's all true. The anti-journo brigade will say it's all rubbish.

And so it will continue until there's a genuine examination as to whether low-cost ops are trimming safety margins or not. And that, friends, won't happen until - heaven forbid - 160 passengers and 70 tonnes of aluminium are disassembled in a field near you.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 12:49

Unfortunately Dispatches is not known for being objective. It's known for being big on sensationalism but short on facts. If it follows the format of their last effort there'll be about 10 minutes of footage which, broadcast deliberately out of context.might be considered incriminating. The rest will be idle speculation, rumour mongering or just plain lies.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 18:03

Once again... Scumbag journalism at its best, or worst, depending on your... yawnnnnnn perspective.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 18:10

Smile

Might be a feature on a 'Scumbag' CEO ?
Old 7th Feb 2006, 23:07

I guess we will see what happens when it's broadcast on Monday
Old 8th Feb 2006, 00:12

This is emphatically not what is needed by anyone Ryanair. Expect the usual journalistic rubbish and allegations wide of the mark. Then watch LHC and his management buddies decry the whole thing as a lie (which what they show probably will be). Unfortunately the management shouting will nicely obscure the real issues, which are unlikely to get an airing.
Ryanair needs a proper investigation from competent authorities. Sensationalism will not help.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 05:58

Originally Posted by CamelhAir
Ryanair needs a proper investigation from competent authorities. Sensationalism will not help.
Hear hear
Old 8th Feb 2006, 07:04

As a punter, I will be very interested in this documentary, and I find it hard to understand the paranoia (all the world hates us etc...) coming from some above. Why is the Ryanair CEO in court so often? why do so many people have bad stories about Ryanair?

I agree that some journalism is pretty poor, but here is the reality check - when you have a CEO who has a cavalier, publicly stated don't give a toss attitude, it is only a matter of time before questions start being asked. In a democracy, it is good to know that journalists have the freedom to investigate these types of issues, and I am equally sure if it is factually incorrect Ryanair will 'see C4 in court', as is also their right in a Democracy.

I agree with an earlier poster that it would be better if these questions were asked by relevant regulators, but sadly that doesn't seem to be happening. This is the result. Maybe the industry needs to look at itself rather than blaming everyone else, including documentary makers.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 11:02

Surv... and Democracy

I don't think FR will be shy about a premptive strike or revenge if this "investigation" does not stands up.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 12:22

If this changes anything at FR, one thing is for sure prices will go up, Ryanair is making catching a plane like catching a bus and I like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.