Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

AAI losing pilots

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

AAI losing pilots

Search this Thread

Old 25th Feb 2003, 12:10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAI losing pilots

Intersting developments at Air Atlanta this week. A whole bunch of pilots are leaving for greener pastures in the East. There is a rumour that AAI need another 80 pilots to cover their commitments for the summer. I wonder where they are going to access type rated, current, pilots of those numbers?
Old 27th Feb 2003, 11:08

yes this is true.
Hope it improves the pay and conditions here once the shortage starts.
At least we are working now, but we are all looking for better jobs.
Old 27th Feb 2003, 14:49

I would not say "ALL are looking for better paying jobs with better conditions" but I would have to agree that many are looking and applying.....

End of the month and still no roster......
Old 27th Feb 2003, 16:27

A whole bunch of pilots?
Must be from the 767 crowd, I only know of maybe a small number that might be leaving the 747 group.
Old 27th Feb 2003, 20:06

Yes 18 wheeler, it is the 767.
However if there were more jobs available for the Jurassic pilots they would be on their way as well I have no doubt
Old 27th Feb 2003, 20:24

AAI...not a bad job, if you like seasonal work, but that just does not suit the younger crowd...with good reason. Too many kids to feed, and a few of the older guys, too many wives to look after.
OTOH, IF (and a very big IF) they could get their maintenance in order (as in....serviceable tags in sight, not as in 1998 according to the UK CAA), not a bad lot...notwithstanding.
Wonder if the house cleaning has been completed in order for a CAA certificate?
Old 27th Feb 2003, 21:34

can you ever post re AAI without a note about 1998?
It was resolved in 1 weekend! and the CAA was completely satisfied all was in order.
But regards the job, yes they do have to bring their employment practices in line. As long as they are willing to hire short term people, they will have to expect high turnover, and the resultant loss of training costs.
Perhaps it is time for AAI to start looking at their employees as more of an asset, and less a short term solution to contracts.
Old 27th Feb 2003, 21:48

...long weekend?

Canadair,
A long weekend you say...seem to remember it was seven days plus...
A long UK weekend perhaps?
Not to mention the notice they had...............
Old 27th Feb 2003, 22:02

Apparently the Icelandic Flight School is to start a B767 course, something to do with AAI. The candidates, who pay for the rating are supposed to get at least line training on AAI a/c. There was a Phsyco test with just over 600 questions and lasted for a hole day.(they did get a lunch break)
Probably a new system, the ones that fail get taken on!
Old 27th Feb 2003, 22:03

Please, AAI have given many out of work pilots work when many " TOP AIRLINES " were puting them on the scrap heap. It is clear what you sign up for.

Many of the Ansett pilots were happy to get work
Many of the Canada 3000 pilots were happy to get work.

411A please change the record
Old 27th Feb 2003, 22:08

Facts speak foir themselves..

Indeed they do planemad, the UK CAA was watching for many months yet AAI looked the other way....maybe they have now woken up...or maybe not.
Time will tell...and so will the CAA.
Old 27th Feb 2003, 23:06

your memory seems to be letting you down mate, the CAA expressed concern on a Friday aft, and asked AAI to come up with supporting documentation, the audit took place the following monday and all was found acceptable by the CAA, operations resumed.
Agreed that the jobs for both ex Ansett and C3 guys came up with great timing, BUT, these same guys are more than prepared to leave for better opportunities, and continue to do so.
So, is`nt it time for AAI to realise this, and do something to make it a more desirable place to stay? it would not take much, just some form of security, an employment contract allowing for time off, and many would choose to stay. Most agree the work envinronment is good, and the company has a bright future, they just want to know they will be a part of it.
Old 28th Feb 2003, 00:51

canadair

Yes, would agree that with changes, AAI would be a better place to work. Communication with employees was never a strong point, but OTOH, personally know guys that worked there in the early ninetys, and from their comments, not much has changed since that time. They continue to serve a nitch in the market, and probably will continue to do so, so long as they do not go head to head out of their league.
It certainly suits the guys that only want to fly seasonally.
Old 28th Feb 2003, 01:11

Yes Canadair...better conditions like, a recogniseable contract ( not one drawn up by someone who would be better suited as a loan shark)... rosters at least 2 days in advance......basings.......advance notice of your FORCED vacations......spot of leave without going off pay etc.etc.etc.....
Old 28th Feb 2003, 10:52

Some great guys to work with but, oh for a roster!
Old 28th Feb 2003, 16:52
DIRECTOR

Who exactly are these 767 guys going East to join??
Old 28th Feb 2003, 16:56

At present there are numerous Asian operators who are hiring, or so I believe.
Old 1st Mar 2003, 10:36

411A obviously has a little knowledge of Atlanta which is now well out of date.I don't work for them,but a best friend does,and he regularly tells me of the goings on in AAI. It would be nice if AAI's work,particularly on the 767 was seasonal as 411A suggests,as it would ease the leave situation.The only seasonal bit left is the Excel contract which reduced from three to one plane over last winter.Those two spare aircraft were used almost immediately on other contracts which are continuous,and more and more work is appearing all the time.The Ozzies are probably leaving AAI so they can have a small amount of regular home life,as the Far Eastern companies they are going to,are not only based closer to home,but also have a commuting system of rostering.One of the niggles my mate has with Atlanta,which has been mentioned in previous postings,is that if you are Icelandic,you are on a special local 'golden balls'contract..paid year round whether sick or on leave,3 weeks on 3 weeks at home..every Christmas and new year off..pick of the postings ..and so on!The rest of the non Icelandic crews have to run around taking any leftover leave opportunities and doing the s...t contracts,and touching their forelock as they do.No pay when sick,no pay when on leave,no roster or at least inefficient rostering by (said to be)lovely people who have little rostering experience and who frequently leave the company as they find the pressure too great,based miles away from the coal face,monosyllabic communications if any,a contracting company which is owned by AAI and therefore not working for its contractors interests..just AAI's... are just a few of the things my mate tells me about down the pub(my other mates are ex-AFX or still with them,so we have happy evenings together!The AFX crowd seem more cheerfull at the moment..they even buy a round occasionally,so they must be getting paid!)) My mate with AAI,says that the maintenance is fine,and that the decision by AAI to start AAI Europe(or is it AAI uk?)will mean even higher standards being imposed.His worry is wondering if the costs envolved with those higher standards will not bring the whole thing tumbling down.Maintenance,rostering,pay,conditions etc will all have to improve to gain the AOC..and costs will soar...there will be interesting times ahead..and many work jobs created.
But then he is happy doing what he does,even though he's miles from home,so it does suit some.
I flew a Cessna411A once...it was a CofA testflight..and the only way to have got it through would have been to cheat on the single engine climb check..so it failed.Obviously 411A takes his nom de PPRuNe from somewhere else!
Old 1st Mar 2003, 14:08

abra,

Quite the contrary, have owned one for quite some time. In fact, delivered several direct from the factory, flew 'em in charter service in the 60's (along with a lot of other folks, desirable aeroplane then), no problems found. You just have to know how..

Most of your comments about the concerned airline are right out of the past...as in, poor scheduling, no/late roster, local favoritism, poor communications...and been that way for a very long time. Glad to hear about the maintenance improvement, guess 1998 was a wake-up call for them. Personally found the seasonal work quite to my satisfaction...don't think I would care to keep up the pace all year 'round. The leave situation apparently hasn't changed either, but personally found that if I told 'em when I intended to go, the roster (such as it was) was arranged accordingly. Worked for me anyway.
Some folks used the inhouse contracting agency, and their pay was always late, sometimes very late. Personally used an outside agency...always paid on time. Much better arrangement.
Old 2nd Mar 2003, 03:10

411A said,
“Glad to hear about the maintenance improvement, guess 1998 was a wake-up call for them. “

I hope that this is a wake up call for you, 411A and that you let go of what happened 1998.
Please stop going on about it, there is no need for you to bring it up ad nauseam. Let me assure you that there is nothing wrong with the maintenance these days.

Also 411A said,
“Some folks used the in house contracting agency, and their pay was always late, sometimes very late.”

Would you be able to let go for this one as well, 411A?
My pay is always on time and I am with their in house contracting agency.

In general I am happy to read your comments, but stop dredging up the past, move on......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.