Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

One reported dead in plane crash

Search this Thread

Old 11th Nov 2003, 10:26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

November 11, 2003

ONE person is believed dead and another seriously injured after a plane crash at Sydney's Bankstown airport.

It is believed the twin-engine Piper airplane crashed and burst into flames shortly before 1pm.

Airport spokesman Michael Samaras said he understood the plane crashed on landing and burst into flames.

"My advice is that it tipped over on landing and burst into flames," he said.

"We have a report of one dead, one seriously injured, but that's not confirmed."

simpathy to all the family and friends
Old 11th Nov 2003, 10:35

From ABC:

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is assembling a team of investigators to investigate a fatal light plane crash at Sydney's Bankstown airport this afternoon.

One person was killed and another suffered serious burns when the Cessna aircraft crashed and burst into flames on take-off shortly before 1pm.

The injured person has been freed from the wreckage and taken to Liverpool Hospital for treatment.

Emergency service crews remain at the scene.

http://www.abc.gov.au/news/australia...nov2003-11.htm

Condolences
Old 11th Nov 2003, 10:50

Very sad; it is becoming a bad year for GA in Australia. Condolences to family and friends.

It would be helpful if the media could at least try and get the basics right though - Cessna vs Piper, Take-off vs landing.....jeez!
Old 11th Nov 2003, 10:52

According to my sources it was a Seneca not a Cessna - but don't know for sure, I'm not in the area.
Old 11th Nov 2003, 10:58

I've heard it was a Piper Seminole. Apparently Basair and a few others own some but I'm not sure exactly who it belonged to.

Very sad day indeed.

My condolences to those who know the pilot and pax.
Old 11th Nov 2003, 10:58

From a reliable source in the BK zone at the time...

Piper Seneca conducted assymetric go-around as gear was up, got below Vmca, rolled over, burst into flames on southside of AD.

Condolances to all family and friends of those involved.
Old 11th Nov 2003, 12:24

ATSB Official Media Release

MEDIA RELEASE
11 November 2003
Aviation Accident Bankstown Airport
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has been advised of a fatal aviation accident involving a Piper Seneca aircraft, VH-CTT which occurred at Bankstown Airport at about 12.52 (AEDST) today.

At this point in time details available to the Bureau are sketchy.

A team of Transport Safety Investigators is enroute to Bankstown and is expected to arrive on-site this evening.

Any further Information as to the Bureau’s involvement will be released as it becomes available.

Witnesses to this accident are asked to call the Bureau on 1800 020 616

Media contact: Peter Saint B: (02) 6274 6590, M: (0408) 497 016

Sad day for all....

Ang
Old 11th Nov 2003, 12:40

BK Airport Crash

Just heard on the radio that an aircraft has crashed at Bankstown, 1 fatality. Anybody got anymore info.

Just seems to be a spate of these all at once, don't it? Sincerest condolensces to all family and friends.
Old 11th Nov 2003, 15:49

I didn't see the actual crash, but I was able to see the wreckage from the northern side of YBSK and was shocked to see what was left. It was a very sudden reality check on how dangerous flying can be at times. My class were all moved by what happened and our condolences go out to the family and friends of the deceased pilot.

Mr Garrison- Basair operate the Twin Commanche, not the Seminole. (I'm a student at Basair).
Old 11th Nov 2003, 17:47

Apparently it was VH-CTT from Proflite Australia.
Old 11th Nov 2003, 18:01

Received 169 Likes on 86 Posts
assymetric go-around as gear was up, got below Vmca
Friction Nut,
How can 'your source' possibly know this without being onboard the aircraft at the time. As if the media speculation isn't bad enough!
Old 11th Nov 2003, 18:08

Very unfortunate circumstances. My understanding was: the aircraft, VH CTT, was a real slow pig of a Senaca; the instructor had only recently obtained his multi training approval; the weather was hot and bumpy; the student was undertaking asymmetric circuits; another aircraft pulled out onto the runway when the Seneca was on very short final; the student was not coping well with his training; there were other aircraft on parallel runways and taxiways so not many landing options; the decision to go around was ultimately not a good one...
Let's see what the official investigations decide.
Sadly the deceased was a popular student and friend of mine, *******. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. The instructor, who suffered burns to 90 percent of his body was *******, may he recover quickly.
Let us learn from their mistakes.

Let's just keep names out of it for the time being, eh? W.

Last edited by Woomera; 12th Nov 2003 at 03:00.
Old 11th Nov 2003, 18:44
Menen

If it was an asymmetric go-around, I wonder if the propeller was feathered or was the engine set for zero thrust? If zero thrust (always the safest option) then a two engine go-around would present no problem.

Old 11th Nov 2003, 18:52

condolences

My sincere condolences to those friends and family affected.
Tis a tragic event.

rem
Old 12th Nov 2003, 02:18

QUOTE: "Let us learn from their mistakes."

Captain Titanic, uncalled for - W. Let us all learn from the one you just made!

Last edited by Woomera; 12th Nov 2003 at 03:01.
Old 12th Nov 2003, 08:58

Location: Next door to the neighbor from hell, who believes in chemtrails!
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
My understanding was: the aircraft, VH CTT, was a real slow pig of a Senaca
Well it was a Seneca 1, need I say more?

DF.
Old 13th Nov 2003, 08:09

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with all the family and friends involved.

I don't usually follow the 'goings on' out at Bankstown but this one has shaken me up a little bit. For the last couple of days I have been thinking of the survivor and have found it hard to get this poor bloke out of my mind.

Mate , there are a lot of us thinking about you and hope you recover as best as you can. hoss
Old 13th Nov 2003, 12:07

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I had the unfortunate situation of being the aircraft on Finals for the northern Runway at the time. For those who like to speculate keep your traps shut. As anyone knows in this situation anything could have happened and we all know if it was a seneca as soon as it gets past a suitable Angle of Bank closing the tabs would have done nothing.

I'm pretty sure from memory, though initially it wasn't but the gear was down and locked.

Condolences to the family and friends of the people involved. An unfortunate day for all.
Old 13th Nov 2003, 21:06

Pitty 2 see such an accident, One would agree that inital multi training is dangerous ****. I remember doing inital ME tng in a seneca 1, Not fun at all, a little on the under powered side.

Anyway i wont comment anymore..
Old 17th Nov 2003, 19:21

Tragic news. Condolences to those involved.

Why people have to get into the childish and insensitive 'it was only a Seneca 1' etc. nonsense under these circumstances beats me. It does however seem to be particularly prevalent in the Dunnunda and Godzone forums.

I did my UK to Oz twin endorsement conversion on that aircraft, as well as having a fair number of hours on it since. It flew, as far as I know, just like any other Seneca 1. That is of course except for the time I lost the port spinner in flight, even though there was no noticeable effect on performance or handling.

Whatever the aircraft was, or was like, or whose fault it was, it was a tragic accident.

R.I.P. Charlie Bango Bango (as it was known at times in SY TCU).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.