PDA

View Full Version : Trip to France

ppl172
21st Aug 2003, 16:47
Hi folks,

Myself and my brother are planning a trip to France in a 172. We're based in Dublin, Ireland. We plan to fly to the south coast of England, re-fuel and then head over to France. We're both non-instrument rated PPLs.

We were thinking about visiting Beauvais. I was there once on a Ryanair flight. Middle of nowhere but there's a coach that brings you into Paris (takes an hour). Also its a small, simple airport in uncomplicated airspace.

Looking at the charts (and some previous postings on PPrune) I'm now thinking about maybe Pontoise. It's obviously closer and doesn't seem too hard (stay under Paris TMA!).

So... any advice of suggestions would be appreciated. We're not spending long there. A couple of days. Might try and get in a few other fields. We'll stay to the North of the country. If anyone has any places to sugegst visiting, all would be welcome.

We have the latest charts and Jeppsen Botlang Airfield Manual for France.

Cheers,

PPL172.

Flying Boat
21st Aug 2003, 17:15
Fly via the Channel Islands, the fuel is VAT Free!

If you could manage it down to Jersey, you can relax at the Aeroclub before continuing. There is quite a large Irish population on Jersey.

Paris is only about 1.5 - 1.75 hours away in a PA28.

Airfields to visit? Deauville, Rouen, Caen, Cherbourg, Le Havre, The GA airfield for Paris Toussus le Noble.

Have a good trip.

FB

Fuji Abound
21st Aug 2003, 17:26
Here is another idea.

Route Wexford to south of Strumble and then direct to Shoreham (EGKA). That misses all the high ground in an around Wales, the restricted airspace and provides a short crossing. From there it is an uncomplicated trip to Shoreham. That’s about 3 hours so within your range.

Shoreham is easy to find (on the coast), friendly, a good restaurant, fuel and decent length runway. You can also file your flight plan on the computer at Shoreham for the next leg.

From there go overhead the Seaford beacon direct to L2K. If you like you can clear customs at L2K since they are a permanent customs airport. Again there is a good restaurant for a drink or some food. If you have had enough of the sea crossings by then you can always add about 10 minutes to the journey and route SFD to LYD for the much shorter crossing. If you can get up to FL50 you are out of glide range for only a few minutes.

From L2K go direct to Chateau-Thierry (LFFH) then Coulommiers (LFRK) then Lognes (LFPL).

That route avoids most of the controlled airspace of consequence so you are only routing under the Charles de Gaule CZ for the last leg. Just stay below 1,500 feet and no one will be interested in you.

From Shoreham I guess that route is around 2 hours direct without a stop at L2K so a comfortable flight.

Why Lognes? Hard runway, reasonable length. Fuel available (but be careful they dont take credit cards as is often the case in France), they will organise customs if you prefer to go direct on 24 hours notice, basic but clean and cheap hotel on the field, a good restaurant and a direct and regular train into Paris central - only about 20 minutes.

Email off line if I can be of further help.

ppl172
21st Aug 2003, 18:28
Thanks for the suggestions,

Flying Boat... We actually visited Jersey last summer. Great place to call in. Lovely facility (relaxed in the bar of the aero club upstairs watching the sun go down). Very friendly and helpful staff too (although that goes for every UK airfield I've visited).

Fuji Abound... Wexford... Strumble will be the Irish Sea crossing alright. I don't have my UK chart in front of me (sitting in work :hmm: ) but I'll take a look at Shoreham/Lognes. We were thinking of Exeter (sp?) as our UK stop over. Thanks for the advice on the French credit card. Least we won't have to change our Euros!! :ok:

Cheers,

PPL172

CBG
21st Aug 2003, 22:48
....or, picking up from Fuji abound's post, from Seaford VOR head down south to Deauville where you can clear customs and do a bit of hollywood star spotting (a whole bunch of them are due to attend the American film festival there in early September). fly west towards Bretigny (south or Paris) to stay south of Orly, and straight into Lognes.

If you decide to come to Paris e-mail me on [email protected].

I live in the city and I'll take you out for a pint of Bordeau!

Fuji Abound
22nd Aug 2003, 00:16
ppl172

Yep Wexford Strumble about the shortest sea crossing to your south. Maybe 60 nm coast out to first land fall.

Exeter is a very freindly airport with reasonable GA.

I had suggested Shoreham because it avoids the long sea crossing from Exeter going direct(ish) and if you route along the south coast off course you over fly Shoreham anyway. The scenery is probably a bit more interesting as well unless you like the sea of course!

Deauville is also very pleasant as CBG suggests, pretty much due south of Shoreham and also with 24 hours customs (I think still) to take you around the other side of Paris into Lognes.

Good luck! :D

ppl172
23rd Aug 2003, 05:52
Hello,

Thanks again for the good tips.

Fuji Abound... Just looking at Shoreham on the chart. Looks like an excellent place to refuel plane and pilot before the channel trip. Longes looks ideal for Paris too. Adds a little to the trip skirting to the east of Paris, esp if routing say for Seaford VOR to Dieppe.

Has anyone any experience with Pointoise or Toussus le Noble? Is paris easily accessable? Lognes' 20 mins to paris sounds ideal.

CBG... thanks for the offer... pint of Bordeau. I like it!

Anyway... Time to make a few phone calls.

Thanks again for the tips folks.

Cheers,

ppl172.

WorkingHard
24th Aug 2003, 15:38
Both Pontoise and Toussus are very friendly to GA (as is most of France of course). I had occasion a few years ago to land at Pointoise about 1 hour after closure (they waited for us) and they made no extra charges.

ppl172
24th Aug 2003, 20:07
Thanks WorkingHard (are you? :) )

I'm thinking maybe Pontoise or Toussus Le Noble alirght. I think Longnes adds a bit to the trip routing east of Paris.

I haven't managed to contact either Pontoise or Toussus yet (I did speak to someone in Lognes). Looking at Toussus' web site (http://www.acaf.bvrp.fr/toussus1.html) they seem reasonably accessable to Paris via the RER.

Do you know Paris is easily reachable from Pontois?

Cheers,

ppl172

WorkingHard
25th Aug 2003, 01:31
Pointoise is very easy for paris. we use it in October to go to Longchamps (for the racing). ATC will arrange for a taxi to a hotel or station or wherever