PDA

View Full Version : South African Validation.

sennadog
20th Aug 2003, 17:15
Earlier in the year, I took and passed the Air Law/Radio Telephony exams plus the Skills Test/Navigation Test on the basis that I then would have a SA licence(PPL).

I was told at the time that my UK Medical was sufficient. I returned from SA without the Validation and was informed that the Licence would be forwarded on to me. Despite numerous phone calls to the club where I flew and on one occasion being told that it was "in the post" I finally contacted the SA CAA and was informed that they had never received the application.

Since then, I've been informed by the Flying School that I needed a SA medical after all and having contacted the SA CAA (again) I've had two opposite opinions.

Does anyone have any practical experience of this? Is it possible to get my medical done in the UK (to SA standards) and post a copy over?

Circuit Basher
20th Aug 2003, 18:31
Sennadog - sorry to hear that you've been given the bums rush by all involved.

The SA CAA Website (http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/av.%20medicine/AME%20International.htm) has the following list of UK AMEs who can conduct SA medicals:

Surrey
Tallent, David
Brookdale Medical Centre, 79 Povey Cross Road, Gatwick Airport, RH6 0AE
01293 776996

Kent
Alexander, Bruce, R
9 De Havillands, Bekesbourne, CT4 5BW
01843 222404

London
Perry, I
19 Cliveden Place, London
0207 730 8045

Herts
Wallace, J
40 Hadham Road, Bishop Stortford, C23 2QT
01279 654053

Surrey
Edington, Kenneth
Airport Medical Services, Holiday Inn, Puvey Cross Road, Horley, RH 0BA
01293 775336

Goodwin, S
Airport Medical Services, Holiday Inn, Puvey Cross Road, Horley, RH OBA
01293 776556

Fortunately, I see you're based in Surrey, so the fact that they are all concentrated in the smoke won't be too much of a concern!!

Hope it all works out OK and you don't get too much grief.

sennadog
20th Aug 2003, 20:28
Thanks for that CB. I actually found that once I'd managed to get my dial up connection to work - it's kak!

It seems that the SA CAA don't insist on a South African medical but the school inisists they do, so if it comes down to it I'll pop down to Horley and find out how unhealthy I am.

The main issue is not wanting to "waste a week" having to retake all the exams and get the paperwork done the next time I'm there when I could be doing some flying.