PDA

View Full Version : First Flight in a Cub

ChiSau
19th Aug 2003, 19:26
Had my first flight in a Cub on Sunday late afternoon. What a fabulous, fabulous little aeroplane. All my flying so far in Cessnas and Pipers (all tricycle) and had never flown a taildragger, or a rag and tube or stick controls!

Tootling around the local area on a sunny Sunday early evening - fabulous views, door open (!), slow enough to really enjoy the beauty of flying - amazing experience. And I loved the whole side slipping in to land too - great fun.

All in all, exactly how I hoped flying was going to be when I decided to learn. I'm not knocking the Cessnas/Pipers etc - clearly horses for courses - but for a gentle wander round the skies, thanking your lucky stars for being able to fly and see this beautiful country from an angle that most people never get to see - the Cub was fabulous.

Thank you to the extremely kind aviator from the club who took me up with him!

I want one!

LowNSlow
19th Aug 2003, 20:28
Are you still grinning ChiSau? It usually takes 24 hours for the Cub grin to fade :D :D :D

ChiSau
19th Aug 2003, 20:30
Still grinning and still trying to work out how to fly one regularly!

:D :D

FlyingForFun
19th Aug 2003, 21:44
I haven't flown in a Cub (ok then, a Super Cub, but close enough) for well over a year - but I still get that grin when I think about it!

(If you search the archives, you might find my PIREP of my first Super Cub flight, by the way.... must have been around October 2001 off the top of my head. I'd find it myself but I don't have time right now.)

FFF
-------------

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Aug 2003, 00:07
I used to fly an L4 (US Military J3, with extra glazing) years ago and loved it. Wrote an article in 'Pilot' it, and if a share were available locally to me now I'd jump at it.

SSD

Kingy
20th Aug 2003, 01:24
The Cub really is the classic flying experience everyone should try at least once.

ChiSau,

If you are ever down in my neck of the woods give me a shout, and come and have a go in my L4. :D

Kingy

BlueRobin
20th Aug 2003, 02:24
I want one!

A lot of people do (me included), esp. the Super Cub. That's why they're so darn expensive!

stiknruda
20th Aug 2003, 02:37
Cubs do seem to attract premium prices, Aeronca Champs are similiar and seem to be more reasonable....

for the opulent, I have a beautifully rebuilt SuperChief that I could be persuaded to part with - for an independent Pirep, ask Aerbabe!

Stik

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Aug 2003, 02:56
I did fly a Supr Cub for a while. For me, it didn't have the charm of the L4. I loved the minimalism of that aeroplane, the 'solo it from the back' cockpit, and its superb slow speed capability.

The Super Cub is OK, but so like so many others IMHO (including the Ciatabria). The basic Cub is just a peach!

SSD

Crossedcontrols
20th Aug 2003, 21:13
That's it you've had it, there's no going back, once you've experienced the 'ways of the cub' you're hooked.

Help is at hand, there is a very nice J3 with a share available at Henlow.

I can dig out the details if you want, PM me.

No, it's not mine, mine's an L18c

CC

QDMQDMQDM
20th Aug 2003, 23:16
I'd say best balance between fun, cost and utility in the UK is a 90HP Super Cub or converted 90HP J3 with a wing tank. the 150HP is more expensive to run / keep and the J3 / L4 with a 65HP engine lacks guts two-up and range too.

I like the 150 and its flaps, but am not sure of the cost/benefit in the UK.

QDM

LowNSlow
21st Aug 2003, 12:24
QDMx3 the 65hp L4 I had with an 8 US gallon wing tank hopped out of short fields 2 up no problem. It was the subsequent climb that was a tad glacial...... Also, she could stay in the air a lot longer than my bladder :ok:

Good fun for chasing rabbits around Hampshire too!!!!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
21st Aug 2003, 16:32
I remember the L4 was no 'going places' aeroplane. Any sort of a headwind, the narrow boats on the canal were overtaking us ;~)

But for sheer bimbling delight it was the business.

My neck of the woods is Cheshire, so any share would have to be in reasonable reach - and preferably on a farm strip.

SSD

Arclite01
28th Aug 2003, 04:56
Yeah

I learned in the Cub too !!

Great fun and it really teaches you to land !!

If you don't land fully held off you get at leat 3 other landings that time and then the fun of the go-around !!!! and another try !

Suggest you contact Cubair at Redhill - Ed Ashfield is a great instructor - very relaxed.

I've flown Stiks A/C too - it's great fun and affordable flying - half the capital cost of a similar Supercub and more sociable side by side flying

Enjoy

Arc

Aerobatic Flyer
28th Aug 2003, 15:29
I've been doing some flying recently in a 90hp Cub (a PA19), and loving it. On a hot summer afternoon, nothing is nicer than flying along at low altitude with the doors open at 60 or 70mph. It's probably the perfect aeroplane for spotting mountain goats in the Alps!

There are a few things I don't like so much though. The controls are heavy, especially in pitch (at least compared to the Jodels I normally fly) and the heel brakes are horrible and not very effective. Also, of course, if one wants to go somewhere as opposed to just bumbling along frightening goats, it's a wee bit on the slow side.... a Jodel is about 20kts better on the same engine.