PDA

View Full Version : Microlights & Ultralights Pilots !

tartan 42
19th Aug 2003, 19:03
Pilots of Microlights - need your advice :

Considering PPL.... but thought I might investigate the world of Microlights. I'm a bit worried about flew-winging-it.... but after reading several pilot magazines, I have discovered there are things called "3-axis microlights".

My assumption, based on pictures, is that these "3-axis microlights" look like and probably fly similar to standard SEPs - is that true? I assume also that operating costs would be cheaper - true / false? Can 3-axis a/c be hired as easy as a C152 ?

Having read LASORS - it would appear this can be done on a NPPL - but LASORS or the NPPL website makes no mention of 3-axis microlights - just microlights. Does all the LASORS and NPPL stuff relate to 3-axis as well.

So - a number of questions above all relating to how 3-axis microlights fits into the overall licensing and flying picture.

I seek an expert to help me understand and see the (micro)light !!

Pilgrim101
19th Aug 2003, 20:43
Tartan

Yes, the three axis microlight world is very Scottishly priced. Most modern 3-axis small light aircraft burn a miserly 12-15 litres an hour, are easy to hangar, even in your own garage (wing folding ones anyway), relatively cheap to maintain provided the preventative maintenance is carried out diligently. Most are two stroke engine equipped needing regular top end decokes, but there are some heavier four stroke models around.

Speak to the BMAA at Deddington and the PFA at Shoreham and they will give excellent advice too. They are very friendly and helpful.

There are many types on the market now but watch the AUW and Fuel limitations since with a full load your toothbrush might just put you over. They are generally not tourers but will get you around in shortish hops - most microlight landing fees are very reasonable too.

The medical is very straightforward too.

Flying on a Permit to Fly (annual renewal) gives an added freedom as does the ability to fly from fairly rough farm strips. Watch the hull insurance and life insurance implications since this is probably well worth checking too. I understand that once you qualify for the PPL (M) you can now hire club aircraft but the market is pretty good with reasonably priced aircraft for sale. Check the PFA magazine and look at the ads for a general idea.

Depending on where you are, there are microlight centres spread out over the UK but you could also speak to the Shadow Flight Centre at Old Sarum for an idea of the true costs of learning. They are very down to earth there, if you excuse the pun, and will give you no BS.:ok: :ok:

Fly Stimulator
19th Aug 2003, 22:20
The PPL(M) is no more - new microlight pilots now train for the NPPL Microlight rating. That covers both flexwing and 3-axis machines, but I believe that differences training is now compulsory before you switch from one to the other.

tartan42,
There are now quite a few 3-axis microlights which are pretty similar to light aircraft; very similar indeed in some cases like the Jabiru where there are both microlight and SEP versions of the same machine.

The top-end 3-axis microlights are actually quite capable tourers - the one I used to have often took me from London across the Channel and the Irish Sea; a return trip to somewhere like La Baule was perfectly do-able for a weekend jaunt. Payload is an issue, but if you're on your own it's not a problem.

They are similar to fly to a SEP machine, though their lightness and lack of inertia make them more twitchy than heavier aircraft.

Operating costs are cheaper than C of A machines, though some PFA types would be just as economical.

It is legally possible to hire microlights now, but I don't think very many are actually available for hire yet, so it's certainly not as easy as finding a C152. You also cannot carry a passenger in a hired microlight.

Have a look at the BMAA website (http://www.bmaa.org) for more information.

Lemoncake
19th Aug 2003, 22:29
FYI, there are also 2-axis microlights! I fly one!! Great little aircraft. Rudder only for turning, no ailerons! Interesting machine to land in x-winds:ok:

springers
20th Aug 2003, 04:01
I agree with previous posts. I would also suggest you have a trial flight in a flexwing - they're like motorbikes in three dimensions. A C150 or PA28 feels quite unresponsive in comparison.

As Flystimulator says, whilst hiring microlights is legal, hardly any schools/clubs are offering their aircraft out on hire yet. When you consider that the entry point for a used aircraft (3 axis or flex wing) is around £3k it's not surprising.

Budget on £25/hr operating costs for your own microlight. Microlights can operate from the shortest farm strip and most microlights can be de-rigged onto a trailer and stored at home.

NPPL(M) medical requirement is a declaration countersigned by your doctor - he/she signs to say that you meet the requirements necessary for driving a HGV, so no physical examination.

If you want to fly for fun, go for it. Only drawback with microlights is that your hours don't count towards PPL, ATPL, etc. so if you don't intend flying as a career (apart from being a microlight instructor) microlighting is fantastic value.

Springers