PDA

View Full Version : Charts/PPL Confuser

bmb7jiw
18th Aug 2003, 23:38
Hi,
I want to buy a flight computer/ NAv Equipment etc so that I can study up for the Navigation exam for the PPL. In the PPL Confuser it says that you need an ICAO 1:500,000 Navigation Chart. I dont want to sound stupid but does this just mean the relevant UK chart? It appears too from yhe questions in the confuser but doent actually say so!
Also does anyone know which part of the UK the questions relate too. I dont want to buy all three charts and then find out that I only needed one of them!!
Thanks guys

James

buzzc152
19th Aug 2003, 00:04
Yes, it means the UK charts everyone has.

Seem to recall though that you get copies provided for the exam. I'm sure someone will confirm that.

As far as nav computers go.... a Pooleys CRP 1 is just the thing. Very useful bit of equipiment. If you plan to go on to CPL you might consider going straight to the CRP 5.

Good luck.

147break
19th Aug 2003, 02:47
bmb7jiw

The version of the confuser that I have uses examples based on the Southern England and Wales 1:500,000 map. (handy if you are based south of Manchester!). The latest version of this is edition 29. From what I can see the examples go no further north than Birmingham.

Saab Dastard
19th Aug 2003, 02:56
I can confirm that the Southern England and Wales Sheet 2171CD is all that is required for the current confuser questions.

While you should always fly with the current chart, there is no such requirement to study and do the test, so you may be able to pick up a "nearly new" chart for nowt, just for study and test purposes.

SD

bmb7jiw
20th Aug 2003, 11:51
Thanks for that guys.
Im living in Japan at the moment so getting hold of an old chart is impossible. Ill just bite the bullet and buy one off the net.

James