PDA

View Full Version : Funny things to do when you're flying.

witchdoctor
18th Aug 2003, 17:28
Was chatting with another pilot at the weekend, and he told me a tale (not entirely sure if I was having my leg pulled or not) about throwing a toilet roll out of the window and chasing it down as it unrolled, chopping it up by flying through the streamer as it went.

Now, other than this being ever so slightly illegal, not to mention rather silly (and, no, I don't condone it), it did get me thinking as to what can be done to provide a couple of minutes worth of amusement to liven up an otherwise uneventful flight. Any (legal) suggestions?

I did once hear about a Hawk pilot bunting the a/c to float his glove in front of him, but it sort of got lost behind his bang seat and led to all kinds of interesting frolics to get it back again. Sounds like fun if anyone wants to lend me a Hawk to try it out.:}

DamienB
18th Aug 2003, 18:27
Spoke to an ex-mil pilot who flew a Lightning from Saudi to the UK (with one stop and many air-to-air refuellings) and to amuse himself enroute he put an apple on the coaming and flew the aircraft so as to cause the apple to gently roll from one side to the other repeatedly.

And after an hour of that, ate the apple and put the next one up there. How the miles must have flown by :p

LowNSlow
18th Aug 2003, 18:30
How about swapping seats in a Cub :uhoh:

witchdoctor
18th Aug 2003, 19:00
As I'm in a C150 , that could be more excitement than I was looking for!:eek:

poetpilot
18th Aug 2003, 19:31
Winging our way through piles of claggy weather (me, scud run? never !) a mate and myself amused ourselves by counting the Klingons on the starboard bow.

Well, it seemed funny at the time.

At around that time, my mate, who had quite a few hours, was also convinced that he could fly in cloud without an AI. So, with me as saefty pilot, he closed his eyes and tried it. I just waited until the view (and airspeed) was starting to get rather spectacular before telling him to open his eyes.

Deaf
18th Aug 2003, 19:50
Witchdoctor

Haven't done the toilet roll game for years but used to be a standard aero competion ( along with no instrument circuits, spot landings etc) rules tend to be local but typicaly start at 3000 finish at 1000 scored on number of cuts 5-8 unless you are in a motorglider maybe 12.

If you want a real buzz try swapping seats in a tiger (with witnesses before and after) people might believe the mile high claim in the middle.

Timothy
18th Aug 2003, 20:04
I have a huge repertoire of what to do when bored in an aeroplane.

Just a few examples:

Steering exclusively with cowl-flaps.
Putting a touch of right rudder trim, then steering exclusively with hand stuck out of storm window.
(In a sliding canopy type) cracking open the canopy and steering by putting hand out one side or the other.
Setting GPS to maximum sensitivity, then hand-flying exactly along line (typically 40m FSD).
As above, but only using rudder and elevator trim.
Find combinations of NDB freqs which will spin the ADF needle continously.

or, as an absolute final resort, read the GPS user manual and see if you can find how to do all those silly things they can do.

W

Circuit Basher
18th Aug 2003, 20:39
1. A friend in Canada was in a Cherokee Six with a mate and they were doing zero degree parabolas. Taking it in turn as P1, with the other going in the rear and photographing themselves floating in the middle of the cabin, then swapping pilots! ;) Never tried it before myself, but am very tempted!

2. Handing over control to inexperienced people on long flight legs and doing the straight / level exercise with them, getting them to head for a point in the distance. Gradually applying surreptitious rudder to put them off course or to make the target move from side!

3. In a continuation of 2, teaching people to fly constant level turns and putting in bootfuls of rudder to confuse them!

Tinstaafl
19th Aug 2003, 01:47
I remember doing streamer cuts using toilet rolls. Great fun.

Some things that keep me amused:

* Steering a C150 or similar using the doors.

* Using trim to land

* Talking a student through an instrument only approach & landing

* Dipping a wingtip into a cloud then steep turning to observe the vortex

* Obstacle course around clouds. Or even picking an altitude where I'm skimming through them.

* Practicing a high speed ILS approach, leaving it as late as possible to arrive configured & on speed. Interestingly I needed that last night when I was racing deteriorating Wx during my arrival & approach.

* Beer bets on who could keep an object such as a pen floating the longest

* Beer bets to place the mainwheels on a nominated aiming point. My students invariably chose the numbers as the smallest readily identifiable object. Free beer for me.

* Precision flight: My usual accuracy target is +/- 20' or a bit less, but if I feel like it I'll aim to keep the needle wholly within the desired altitude mark. Similarl things for heading, airspeed etc.

* How short a landing can I do. Skidding not allowed.

* Max height crossing the upwind threshold after take-off.

* Wonder what other things this GPS can do...?

* Try to find some AM broadcasters now that Atlantic 252 turned into a bloody sports station. :*

witchdoctor
19th Aug 2003, 16:20
Cheers folks.:ok:

Didn't realise this toilet roll thing was as common - aren't you concerned it might knock some poor b#gger unconcious if it doesnt unravel?

Some of this stuff does sound like fun. I've done night circuits using only power, trim and ruder to fly - no control wheel allowed - with a no lights landing. That was a good laugh. As I fly a C150, I'll have to try the steering with the doors. I like that one.:D

Keep 'em coming!

Pink_aviator
20th Aug 2003, 00:38
I Know you all think my mind is full of frivolous nonsense, and you would be right,
and i havn't as yet had to many moments on long boring flights ,but you can be sure that my mind drifts occationally to

"How to catch my man."
"how to manipulate a divertion ,so we have to land at an alternative airport,so i can use the old losing the keys routine
OR
SEE if we linger to long at an airfield ,on a land away,and it will close before we can take off again.ho ho ho

Much safer than chopping up toilet rolls with propellors,and landing in the dark, which doctor.
and much more fun me thinks.

the PRANCSTER PINKSTER
PINK-AVIATOR

witchdoctor
20th Aug 2003, 03:14
Hi Pinks,

Good to see you making yourself known to a wider audience outside of your now legendary pink headset thread.

Not sure any of my flying partners would be too amused if I hid the keys or planned a div to some deserted airfield for a bit of flirty fun.:eek: Especially the boss!

Most likely to end up looking like this.:ouch:

However, as others may hopefully use this thread for themselves (ooh, how generous am I?), perhaps some other 'flying fox' will take you up on your suggestion.;)

EEJay
20th Aug 2003, 16:02
Look in the NOTAMS for balloon releases and if in the area see how many you can burst!

Note that the very large ones with the baskety thing underneath don't count:ok:

david viewing
20th Aug 2003, 22:03
Watched a Chipmunk demonstrating the toilet roll trick at Old Warden recently. Just as the commentator was going on about 'ad-lib aeros' the engine stopped, while going vertically upwards!

There followed an excellent demo of in-flight restart proceedure, nose over, what seemed like VNE, and off it went again but I fancied the flying seemed a little shaky after that..

(I am sure he had enough momentum for a circuit and landing anyway)

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
21st Aug 2003, 01:00
Look in the NOTAMS for balloon releases and if in the area see how many you can burst!
Note that the very large ones with the baskety thing underneath don't count

That's never stopped various members of Her Majesty's Flying Club trying it during MATZ penetrations, of course :uhoh: ;)

Flash0710
3rd Sep 2003, 00:24
Hold your mates nose while he is transmitting

Hide in the rear baggage bit of a pa 28 ( Freaks the driver)

When mate trys to get back in his seat from said compartment
wait til one leg is straddled and then try neg g hits ceiling 1st!

Fuel strainer up arse during radio call.

Simulated "Turbulance" mid radio call

Mooning other planes

Loads :E

SKYYACHT
4th Sep 2003, 13:01
Flash,

You are a sad, strange little man.....but your comment certainly gave me a laugh before going to work........

Cheers,

Blueskies

Flash0710
4th Sep 2003, 16:54
Cheers Sky

Too much time on me hands.:E

B2N2
5th Sep 2003, 04:36
Fly it rudder only....
Get a buddy to do the same and see who gets the highest groundspeed.
Max. speed min fuel burn is my game.
Any sort of accuracy landings in var. flap settings.
Get the whiz wheel and do groundspeed/TAS/Density alt/Actual wind/point o. equal time etc.But I have to be really bored to to all those.
:} neg g man. in a plane that has no inverted oil/fuel systems Hmmmm:}
Had a Pa 28 and a C150 engine stop on me doing those...not anymore I don't:eek: