PDA

View Full Version : My first Tiger Moth flight - PIREP

FlyingForFun
18th Aug 2003, 17:25
WARNING - Long post follows!!!!

Last Saturday morning saw me leaving the house extremely early. I didn't know how long the drive to Headcord would take, so I thought I'd better leave myself plenty of time. At least, that's what I told myself - the real reason I was leaving so early was because I was more than a little excited - I had two lessons booked in a Tiger Moth.

I arrived at the airfield well over an hour before I was due, and my initial delight at the news that the few low-level clouds would soon lift was turned to dismay when I saw the wind-sock - it was sticking out straight, and pointing directly across the runway. I had time to buy some breakfast whilst wondering what the cross-wind limits of the Tiger Moth are.

Breakfast finished, I headed over to the Tiger Club to introduce myself. The staff there seemed more optimistic than me about my flight. Although they won't let students take off or land in this type of cross-wind, it was well within the capabilities of more experienced Tiger pilots. Besides which, there is an unlicensed runway which was into wind, although it's too short to do touch+goes, and you have to fit in with the parachutists because it runs right through the middle of the drop-zone. So I would be flying, one way or the other!

Before long, I met my instructor, or "check pilot" as the Tiger Club insist on calling them. We chatted about flying for a while, mostly about Tiger Moths.

It wasn't too long until went to check out the aircraft and look over its (few) systems. One thing he pointed out to me was that the engine turns "backwards", meaning that rudder application when you add or remove power is the opposite to what you'd expect. He explained that, with power on, the rudder is very effective, so only a tiny amount of left rudder is needed at take-off power. But at idle, with no airflow over the rudder, it doesn't work quite so well, and I should expect to need a lot of right rudder during a glide descent, or on final approach. Other than that, the pre-flight checks are pretty standard; the only unusual thing which needed checking was the ingenious automatic carb-heat system (why don't other aircraft have a similar system?) and the interesting automatic slat system ("it reduces the stalling speed by about 2 knots, as if anyone really cares about 2 knots!" my instructor told me).

Pre-flight over, and it was nearly time to fly. But first of all, we had to sort the cushions out. It's important that you're seated so that you can just about see to the balance indicator underneath the cowling, but after swapping a couple of cushions around we had that sorted. Then I put on my helmet and goggles, and strapped myself in.

My next lesson was in starting the engine - although I was just a spectator this time around. Our assistant shouted instructions as he swung the prop, and my instructor followed them. Then our assistant ran off, and returned with a big stick. The impulse coupling on the magnetos had got stuck, and whacking it with a stick usually frees it. After the stick treatment, we could hear the impulse coupling clicking away, so that was fixed, but the engine still wouldn't fire. It was time for the fix-all technique for a warm engine which won't start. Prime it, suck in for 4 blades, and blow out for 12 blades. My instructor couldn't explain why this worked, but assured me it would - and he was right! Throttle set, mags on, swing the prop once more, and she burst into life. We were ready to go!

Every single thing needs to be re-learnt when you convert to a Tiger Moth. The next thing I had to learn was how to taxy. I was familiar with the technique of S-turns to see where you're going, but taxying an aircraft with no brakes was new to me. Keeping the speed down is obvious - but with the speed low, the rudder is not very effective. So the trick is to turn using full rudder, and very short bursts of power to get some air flowing over the rudder without letting the speed build. I soon got the hang of it, though, and before very long we were lining up.

Because of the cross-wind, the instructor did the take-off, and gave control to me as soon as we were off the ground. My first airborne challenge was to climb in a straight line. I found myself wandering off to the left, and continuously checking the balance indicator and adjusting the rudder pressure. But I managed to climb to a couple of thousand feet and level out, then had a go at some gentle turns. As expected, the nose was all over the sky as I got the hang of the amount of rudder needed. I realised I was spending a lot of time looking at the balance indicator - too much, in fact. Once I shifted my vision outside, it all became a lot easier. Not easy - just easier! But my instructor told me we were ready to do climbing turns (no problem) and then descending turns. I know I'd been warned about the amount of right rudder I'd need when I reduced the power, but it still took me a little bit by surprise! It's enough that, even using full left aileron, you still need to hold in a bit of right rudder to keep everything balanced!

Next on the agenda was steep turns. I let the instructor demonstrate the first one, expecting a 60-degree banked turn, but I was in a for a bit of a shock when we rolled over to 90 degrees! Considering the amount of bank, we didn't seem to be turning very much.... then the instructor pulled the stick back, and the G-force pushed me back into my seat as we began turning in earnest. "You use the elevator to turn, and it needs a bit of top rudder to keep the nose just above the horizon" he told me. Seems simple - my go next! Ok, not quite as simple as it seems. The problem was using controls for things that I don't normally use them for. When the nose started getting too high, I began to ease off the back-pressure, which didn't have much effect on the height of the nose but did stop the turn. I tried a couple more, both to the left and the right, and started to get the hang of it, but they would definitely need more practice.

Time was nearly up for the first session, and we headed back, making a note of all the local features that help in finding the airfield. I flew the circuit, but handed control to the instructor about 50' above the runway. He told me he'd demonstrate a wing-low 3-point landing, but all he actually managed to demonstrate was why you shouldn't do 3-point landings in strong cross-winds! But I wanted more!!!

I didn't have too long to wait before flying again, though - just enough time to get some lunch. Then I was introduced to another instructor, and we decided to use the second flight to do some stalling. This time, we took the into-wind runway in a gap between parachute drops, which meant I could do the take-off. No big surprises on the take-off - it comes off the ground quicker than I'd expected, which resulted in the instructor having to tell me to lift the tail before I was ready to do so, but we were airborne again, and heading for a clear area where we could stall safely.

The stall entry is completely standard (except for the huge amount of right rudder, of course). As I pulled back more, there was a very light buffet, then the nose dipped slightly below the horizon. I recovered, and told the instructor that it was pretty gentle. That didn't impress him at all, and he spent the next half hour demonstrating why it's not gentle. Well, I'm sorry, but the aircraft I fly most often at the moment will drop a wing as soon as you give it a half a chance in a fully developed stall - and compared to that, the Tiger Moth is more of a pussy cat than a tiger! Then, we stalled the aircraft, and attempted to use the ailerons. To the left first. As I moved the stick left, I was ready for my feet to respond to whatever the Tiger threw at me.... which turned out be... absolutely nothing at all! We didn't roll left. We didn't drop a wing, or fall from the sky, or roll right. Absolutely nothing happened at all. I wish my Europa was this well behave at the stall! Right aileron was even more of a surprise, because it actually rolled the aircraft to the right very slightly! Anyway, whatever controls inputs you try to make at the stall, if they don't have the desired effect, lowering the nose just a touch restores control again, so a stall is unlikely to cause any difficulties as long as you're alert and identify it as a stall before you hit the ground.

Time for my instructor to do another demo. This time, it was a spin. Again, very standard. The spin itself seemed more vertical than others I've done, but maybe that's just me, and there seemed to be a very small tendency for the roll rate to increase, but it was nothing extraordinary. I probably would have enjoyed it a little more if the instructor had actually told me what he was going to do, though!!!

Next, it was my turn. We climbed back up (not too high - it was getting cold above 3000') A spin to the left went very well, considering it was the first spin I'd done for around 18 months. I pulled a little too hard on the recovery, which resulted in more G than necessary, but otherwise it was good. Then one to the right, and this time I was concentrating on the elevators. Unfortunately, I forgot to think about the rudders, and as we exited the spin to the right we almost went into one to the left before I realised and recovered. A bit messy, but again not too bad considering how out of practice I was. And great fun!

All too soon, it was time to head back again... but the instructor suggested that, since it was too windy for me to land, we do a circuit and go-around before actually landing. I flew the circuit reasonably well, but overshot the turn to final a little. Lots of side-slip and we got close to the centre-line, but still off to the right. Over the numbers, start to round out, then I get the word to go around. Add power... WHAT THE F*!&????? We were heading way off to the right, straight towards an aircraft which was taxying to take off! Instructor grabbed the controls off me and sorted it out, as I realised that my instinctive reaction on going around is to add power and press the right rudder pedal. In the Tiger, you need left rudder! I didn't want to finish on a bad note, and asked to have another go before landing. My next circuit was better, we rounded out over the centre of the runway, and stayed there when I went around! One more circuit, and hand control to the instructor just before touching down for a very nice cross-wind wheel-landing.

So, did I enjoy it? ABSOLUTELY! I can understand why some people don't like the Tiger Moth. It really needs to be flown, especially when it comes to the rudders but also with all of the controls. Looking at the instruments doesn't give you the clues you need to be able to fly it accurately, as it does with other aircraft - the only way to fly this beast is to look outside and use the controls you need to in order to keep the nose where you want it. It takes a bit of getting used to, and needs constant attention even for straight+level flight, and that's probably why people don't like it, but to me it's part of the fun.

I hope to get back there soon to have a go at doing some touch+goes. If it wasn't for the cost (over 4 times the cost of my regular aircraft) I'd be back there next weekend. I doubt I can afford to become really proficient, but I'll certainly be looking to add it to the list of types I've soloed, and hopefully stay current enough to be able to fly in calm conditions, even if I never get good enough to be able to fly in the kind of winds we had on Saturday.

Definitely recommended if ever you get the chance!

FFF
---------------------

Whirlybird
18th Aug 2003, 19:33
Excellent PIREP, FFF!:ok:

I had 40 minutes in a Tiger Moth a bit back, and I liked it too. My main problems were:

1) Not being able to see a bloody thing, even with cushions...livable with though; I'm used to getting a stiff neck trying to see in lots of aircraft.
2) Barely being able to reach the rudder pedals; if I had enough cushions, I was too far forward for full and free. This was my excuse for using the wrong one all the time, like you.
3) Not being very well at the time, so that even though I was enjoying steep turns etc, I started to feel ill even sooner than I usually do with aggressive manoevres.
4) Not being able to land!!! Lovely calm day, technique all explained, several tries, looked perfect to me....and still it bounced! I reckon it had a mind of its own and just KNEW I was a beginner...like riding a horse that knows instantly when you don't know what you're doing, and you can't fake it. Instructor told me it would take longer than one session, so I gave up.

Like you, I thought it was a pussycat in the stall, and rather fun to fly...or would be if I could grow a bit. And ever so pretty and loads of personality! And I like having it in my log book...as part of the 12.6 hours total f/w flying I've managed in the last year! :eek:

MikeeB
19th Aug 2003, 00:18
the only unusual thing which needed checking was the ingenious automatic carb-heat system (why don't other aircraft have a similar system?)

Is that the one that applies carb heat whenever you reduce power?

The flaw I was told of is that if you get carb ice, then the last thing you want to be doing is shutting the throttle, as this would lower the heat output from the engine, thus defeating the object of it in the first place, and compounding the problem.

I'm only going on what I was told (by a Moth pilot), but it does appear to make sense. I asked exactly the same question when I was told of the system :)

FlyingForFun
19th Aug 2003, 00:29
Yes, that's the one.

The idea is that the carb heat is normally on. The only time you definitely don't want carb heat is at full power, so it gradually turns off as you open the throttle past about 3/4 of the way. So during normal flight, carb heat is on and you won't get carb ice.

Unlike other systems where the carb-heat air is un-filtered, in this system the carb-heat air is filtered, and it's the cool air which is un-filtered, so it's all a bit backwards compared to what we're used to. Instructor told me he'd never heard of a carb-ice incident on a Tiger Moth.

FFF
-------------

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Aug 2003, 02:46
The Chippy uses a later mark of the same engine as the Tiger(Gipsy Major). Carb heat is selectable, and like the Tiger only the warm air is filtered.

My technique is to take off in cold air, then flick it to 'warm' for the remainder of the flight. Note that it is 'warm', not 'hot' air, so the performance decrease is mininmal. However, I like all the power I can get at t/o, especially taking off from strips like Woburn on warm days like it was on Saturday.

The RAF wired all their Chippies in permanent 'warm', but then they operated off great big runways.

I do remember one Chippy EFATO due carb ice - at Sherburn IIRC, and it wrote off the aeroplane. So it can happen

SSD

Saab Dastard
19th Aug 2003, 03:19
FFF, great post, thanks for writing up your experience. :ok:

Had you already got a lot of tail-wheel time? - is your Europa a tailwheel?

I would be interested to know how much it cost - PM me if it is too eye-watering for general consumption.

Trial flights in a Tiger Moth at Redhill on Sunday were going at £99 - I assume that was for a half-hour - but ouch!:uhoh:

SD

brockenspectre
19th Aug 2003, 04:14
Great PIREP FFF - can't believe you went to "my" airfield and "my" club (the Tiger Club) without telling me so I could be there to ensure you got extra special treatment!! The Tiger Rag is always looking for articles and the 'Club always likes hearing that people have had a great time on their trial lessons so if you were to write and include a copy of your PIREP I am sure it would be very well received!!

Otherwise .. let me know when you are going to be there again. My next scheduled visit is 14 September to help with an aerobatic comp.

:ok:

QNH 1013
19th Aug 2003, 05:14
Whirly,
The rudder pedals are adjustable in a Tiger Moth (although it can be a bit of a fag if the spring clips have been replaced with bolts). You need enough cushions under you so that the bump-pad obscures the top half of the slip pointer, and then you should just be able to see something (usually sky) through the screen. If you have a short body (like me) your legs tend to get restricted by the seat belt in the rear seat as the mountings are forward of where you would normally expect them, so the lower belt goes over the top of your legs if you have too many cushions; not such a big problem in the front.
Take-off and landing technique is to drop the doors and lean out of the side; the left side is easiest.
Like a chipmunk, you also have an automatic "return to full-rich" on closing the throttle (assuming the engine hasn't been wired to run full-rich all the time).

24Right
19th Aug 2003, 16:39
I had the privilege of flying the Tiger Moth at Netherthorpe on Sunday (yes, that was me (or rather my check pilot) doing a loop near Worksop - amazing) and it really is an experience. Most of my time is in Cessnas, although recently I've mainly been flying a Beagle Pup and before that a Katana and having flown with a stick rather than yoke certainly helped in the Tiger. I even got to do the landing - a bit bouncy, but not bad for a first attempt in a tail wheel and having no idea where the runway was!

It was a great experience, despite the aeros making me rather ill:yuk: A good way to get tailwheel, biplane and open cockpit types in the logbook all at once:D

Cost me £100 for 30 mins - expensive, but worth every penny imho.

24R

FlyingForFun
19th Aug 2003, 18:28
Saab,

Yes, I have a reasonable amount (about 140 hours) of tailwheel time. (The Europa does count as tail-wheel, yes.)

But only 11 of those hours are in aircraft with the same kind of reduced visibility as the Tiger Moth. And since I never got the hang of landing in those 11 hours, I'm not sure that the other 129 hours of tail-wheel time that I've got where I could actually see the runway are really going to be very much help! Still, we'll see, once the wind cooperates.

As for the price, I think I paid £140/hr. But I just checked their website, and it says £120/hr. :confused:

Brockenspectre,

In all the time I've known you, I never knew that the Tiger Club was "your" club! I suspect you've probably mentioned it several times, but I've been too drunk to remember the next morning? Will definitely e-mail you before I go there again!

FFF
-----------

LowNSlow
19th Aug 2003, 18:36
My examiner for the Biennial renewal took me up in his Moth the last time I did my renewal, hope he does it again this year! I'll be wearing a warmer jacket this time just in case as a thin leather jacket in a Moth cockpit in October can be chilly :cool:

The lack of harmony in the controls and the poor directional stability are very similar to that of the Auster J1 with the small tail. Loadsa fun though, open cockpit biplanes just cannot be beaten for the fun factor :ok: :ok:

Penguina
19th Aug 2003, 21:10
FFF, when you warn us it's gonna be a long post, that needs to be taken seriously! However, made it to the end no probs; sounds brilliant to me.