PDA

View Full Version : circuit joining

Mak
18th Aug 2003, 15:37
I had some trouble yesterday at White Waltham. I joined from the N for rwy 11 and somehow found my quite disoriented, going around the circuit on the dead side. I was keeping a good lookout and as far as I'm aware I didn't endanger anyone but that was still a massive cockup. The reason I'm posting this here is because I'm sure you've seen all sorts of mistakes being made in the circuit and I though you may have good ideas of how best to prevent them in the first place.

Also if there are any W.W. controllers listening, again, I am deeply sorry for the events.

Mak

eagerbeaver
18th Aug 2003, 15:54
try not to get too hung up on it MAK, it happens. My advice would be to always think and therefore plan ahead so you know what you are going to do but also have an idea how the plan can change eg. from a commercial join to an overhead join etc.

Have an aerdrome plate on your knee so you can orientate yourself to the runway and have a nice visual representation as a check

If you aircraft has a HSI you can turn the course selector bar to the runway QDM therefore you have a bright green arrow pointing in the runway drection.

LOcal landmarks also help you check ou are flying the correct pattern. Find something you should see at the end of he downwind leg or at any convenient point in the circuit.

the more you fly the easier it becomes.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Aug 2003, 16:10
If you become unsure if your position at WW please don't ever, ever be scared to contact Heathrow SVFR Director. He'll do everything he possibly can to help you..... but if you infringe the zone and cause chaos (especially when they're on Easterlies) he'll send the boys round after you!!

Mak
18th Aug 2003, 16:19
HEATHROW DIRECTOR: fortunately it didn't get that bad. All the trouble occurred inside the ATZ and when I realised what was happening I headed W until I was outside the zone.

18th Aug 2003, 16:25
Don't worry about it. You probably won't do it again. Broadcast your situation...ask for help if you need it...remain calm. Make a mental entry into your "experience" brain-log. It is often forgotten that ATC, be it Radar/Tower/FISO or just Radio are there to assist......it's our job!!!!

Spitoon
18th Aug 2003, 17:43
As eagerbeaver says, it happens, don't tear yourself up for it. But if you realise that you're not where you should be, do tell the controller/other traffic what's going on so that anyone else in the same area can look out for you.

055166k, just to be pedantic, FISO (Information) and Radio stations are not ATC and usually can't offer as much assistance as a full ATC service can (and, of course, Information/Radio can't issue instructions to any aircraft joining the circuit). That's not to say that the people on the end of the radio are not going to be helpful if they can but there are limitations in what some services are able to do.

Lucifer
18th Aug 2003, 18:02
Go up with one of the instructors - they show the circuit for free at WW, and I'm sure would be more than willing to go through the joining procedures. Everyone makes a cock up now and then - it's easy to make life harder for yourself than it need be.

Remember the Orders Book mentions turning in the same direction as the circuit within the ATZ - keeping that in mind might help.

(PS - there are no controllers at WW - it is an A/G radio)

18th Aug 2003, 23:09
Spitoon's correct of course, but the person on the ground [ and I was thinking more of a recreational flying location than one with full blown ATC] will be familiar with landmarks and relevant features, and more often than not has dealt with similar situations before.....but they can only help if they know there is a problem.....also a timely broadcast will alert other pilots [particularly Instructors] to the situation.....not only might they have you in sight but may offer some calm advice of their own should the timing and situation be appropriate.

mcdhu
18th Aug 2003, 23:10
I fully sympathise with you Mak. I remember getting equally confused when learning to fly nearly 40 years ago! Fortunately, a really good RAF qfi sorted it out for me with the simple maxim:

LH circuit - keep a/f on your left.
RH circuit - keep a/f on your right.

It sounds ever so simple in the cold light of day (on the ground), but it helps to sort those sweaty occasions when overcome with uncertainty (in the air).

Good luck with it all, Mak - and remember, there isn't a mistake you can make that hasn't been made before!!

Cheers,
mcdhu
:ok:

Barnaby the Bear
19th Aug 2003, 00:39
I almost always give new visitors a standard or even non standard over head join (depending on cloud). The main reason is that way they are able to orientate themselves above whatever circuit traffic there maybe. I prefer a disorientated pilot to be above circuit height than flying the wrong way down wind.

As was previously said, don't be afraid to ask for help. From an ATCO side, I would prefer you to ask for assistance earlier than later.:} :ok:

Bright-Ling
19th Aug 2003, 00:44
Thanks HD! If you get REALLY lost and end up going East then 119.9 isn't a bad plan.

Unless of course there is the all to common closure message on!

tee hee :)

DFC
19th Aug 2003, 05:06
MAK,

If it is a right hand circuit put the airfield on your right.

If it is a left hand circuit put the airfield on your left.

Fly round the airfield at the overhead height in the appropriate direction.

In the above procedure, when pointing the same way as the active runway, you are on the dead side, and when pointing the opposite way to the runway, you are on the circuit side (downwind).

Do as many turns overhead as are required to orientate yourself before descending on the dead side.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

DFC

Mak
19th Aug 2003, 15:31
"Do as many turns overhead as are required to orientate yourself before descending on the dead side."

Thanks DFC. I think that will help a lot. I am always wary of maneouvering in the ATZ and try to get down asap. But in an unfamiliar airfield that's worse than spending some extra time in the overhead.

Mak