PDA

View Full Version : NPPL or PPL

LeeG2002
18th Aug 2003, 04:48
Hi people.

First post here.

I want to get my PPL and have seen the NPPL details. Is it worth it rather than the full PPL? I know it is cheaper but would it just be better going for the latter? I would eventually love to fly outside the UK but probably not to start with.

Are there any other ways to obtain the PPL? I've heard it is cheaper to gain hours on a microlight and then convert. Any remarks?

I am in Welwyn in Herts and have looked at a few clubs, anybody recommend one?

I am considering a club at Cranfield airport, mainly because they have a tower and I think it might be more beneficial to training than an airfield.

Any other hints for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.

:ok:

BEagle
18th Aug 2003, 05:59
Why not start on Microlights, then when you have achieved a NPPL with unrestricted microlight aircraft rating, add a SEP aircraft rating. Fly around for a while in the UK and then do the extras needed for upgrade to JAR-FCL PPL(A). Then use that for your SEP and microlight flying........

LowNSlow
18th Aug 2003, 12:30
Lee I assume that you've looked at Panshanger seeing as you are in Welwyn. There seemed to be a decent enough club atmosphere on the few times I've been there.

As BEgle says, why not get the microlight rating first (I don't know if they do this at Panshanger though). Some modern microlights are very capable machines and a damn sight cheaper than a SEP to operate in a lot of cases. Of course, if you are renting then this is irrelevant.

Another possibility is to buy your own PFA type aeroplane (Jodel, Taylorcraft, Condor, Luscombe etc) and get an instructor to teach you on that. It needn't be that expensive in the long term as you retain the capital asset of the aeroplane and "only" pay the running costs during your PPL.

I'm based at Rush Green near Hitchin, you are welcome to come for a whizz about in my Auster if you fancy a go in an old aeroplane. PM me and we can arrange something for when I get home in September.

DRJAD
19th Aug 2003, 00:31
Lee, I did NPPL first for medical reasons - and at least it got me flying, and into the real learning zone of flying solo.

Of course, that got me pining for an IMC rating, so, having got over the medical hurdle by then, converted to a PPL(A).

I don't regret starting with the NPPL, though, and its still 'in reserve' in case of need.

strafer
19th Aug 2003, 01:32
LeeG,

it might also be worth considering getting a PPL in the States (at a JAA registered school). For people who have three weeks to spare and the money upfront, I think that's the cheapest way. There's a million old threads on the subject here to look through.

Thirty06
19th Aug 2003, 04:32
Hi LeeG2002,

Dunno about the NPPL, there was some debate as to whether the 32 hours was really achievable, I took 63 to cover the PPL (45 minimum) so maybe it's not that big a difference. I'm not sure that you have to decide till you're well into your traininganyway.

I live in Harpenden and trained at Cranfield. It looks like the GBP85 per hour rate that I paid is still available too.

It took me 45 mins to get there if I avoided rush hour. There were a decent number of aircraft and instructors so not too many hold ups.

Cranfield Tower is a bot of a luxury since you get full ATC with controllers who understand that you're a student and might muck it up on occasion.

The only real downside is that when it's busy, you might be stuck at the hold for some time as people arrive and fly down the ILS. My examiner on my GFT was getting quite irate about this !

All in all Cranfield is a good place to train and if you have a problem at your chosen flying school, you can go to the one next door.

Tocsin
19th Aug 2003, 23:52
If you do the NPPL, the theory exams are the same as JAR, and you can upgrade by doing another 15 hours (minimum, of course!) followed by skills tests.

Edited to say that 32/45 hours are to be seen as minimums - if you do well on one course and hit the minimum, it is likely you will hit the other as well (and vice versa!)

LeeG2002
20th Aug 2003, 04:55
Thanks for all your information guys.

I have looked in the latest Pilot magazine and I think I will go to the States to get the PPL. 3 weeks off work is not a problem for me. How can they do it so cheap aswell?

Gonna look around the forum for further information.

See ya later.

BRL
20th Aug 2003, 05:06
Hello Lee and welcome to pprune. I hope this link saves you a bit of time. Click on this link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=473681&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) to take you to the search results page. I just typed in Florida and got all these threads.
Have fun, good luck and tell us all about how your training is going.
Brl.

englishal
20th Aug 2003, 16:55
As a side issue aimed at people with medical problems....consider doing an FAA PPL. This gives you full privileges on a G reg aircraft [as well as N reg obviously], the medical is far less stringent, and lasts longer....[and you bypass the "wonderful world of JAR"....:D]...oh and it is an ICAO recognised licence, which the NPPL is not.

Not knocking the NPPL, just my view....

Cheers
EA:D

IO540
21st Aug 2003, 18:02
Obviously the CAA must be aware that the FAA route neatly bypasses not only the JAA IR stuff but also the FAA Class 3 medical bypasses nearly the whole reason for the NPPL... I wonder if the CAA will one day move to stop this? It would be a great shame. But they probably can't; the 2-out-of-3 rule is ICAO.

Monocock
21st Aug 2003, 20:59
Must sdmit, I reckon I'd be prepared to go to the States if my only other option was that bloke at Panshanger!!!

:yuk: