PDA

View Full Version : How were your PPL written exams?!

The Phoenix Rises
16th Aug 2003, 17:05
Did you find them easy, or difficult? Both to study for them, and the papers when you actually sat them.

The problem I have is one of TIME. No matter what I try to do to leave my business alone for a few weeks, or even one clear week, I keep getting dragged back in, and concentration on the study and written stuff is not easy.

Is this a common problem I wonder? Anyone else in or been in the same situation? And how did it work out for you?!

Just wondering…

TP

Dewdrop
16th Aug 2003, 17:16
I work full time and there's no doubt it takes time. I found taking them at the pace I could handle was the only way. You will always have the people down the club who can fly full time and who seem to pass all 8 exams in a couple of weeks but you need to be practical, and that way the stress levels are kept down.
The only problem you will have is the lack of certain exams, Air Law and Met and Nav may restrict your flying. Stick with it though we're all different.

Evo
16th Aug 2003, 17:23
I just did half an hour or so most evenings after work, and worked my way through them over about three or four months (dropped six marks over the seven exams - now where's that 'smug' smiley... ;) ). Most important thing IMHO is to get started on them fairly early in the training and keep plugging away at them, rather than leaving them until a frantic week just before your skills test (that advice may be a bit late... :( ). Some are so basic that you can pass them with zero effort (Human Factors), others are dull (Air Law) and a couple need a bit of work (Aircraft Technical or whatever it's called), but none of them are in any way difficult.

Oh, and get the Confuser. If you're wondering what's that then search this forum :)

PPPPP
16th Aug 2003, 18:18
The way I found best was to have one prepped and ready to go all the time. As this was during the winter months last year, if I turned up and flying was not an option then I'd try the exam I had got prepped. This enabled me to get one done on average every three weeks or so. Get Air Law done first so you can solo as soon as you are ready, and have Nav ready to do before your QXC but apart from that do them in any convenient order.
If you have any engineering background then Aircraft Tech and Flight Planning will be fairly easy, I found Air Law and Met the hardest to get to grips with. You can get all the info you need from the Thom books and, as Evo says, the Confuser is a must-have:)

Saab Dastard
16th Aug 2003, 18:31
Read the books, then do a test exam from the confuser.

Read the books, do another until you can consistently get a pass.

It's useful to photocopy the answer sheets so that you can do several tests - it's also useful to compare tests to see what you are consistently getting wrong, and revise that specifically before taking the actual paper.

Don't confine your reading to just the Thom or Pratt books - read magazines, CAA safety sense leaflets, books on aviation - they all increase your knowledge and (possibly) wisdom and help to pass the exams. Presumably, as you are training to be a pilot, you enjoy reading about aviation, so this is a pleasure, not a pain!

You don't have to spend whole days or nights studying - as Evo says, a half-hour regularly adds up. You've got 18 months to do them in...

Good luck.

SD

flyingwysiwyg
16th Aug 2003, 21:40
T P R,

I am one of the worst in the world when it comes to exams. I hated them and everything about them when I was at school and college and only did well in the ones I was interested in.

When I did my PPL, the thought of exams put me into a cold sweat. However, I did find that because I am interested in flying, all of a sudden self motiviation becomes so much easier. The exams are all quite interesting (apart from some of the annoying bits of air law) :yuk: and all serve a purpose.

It's a good feeling to get through your entire PPL off your own back, knowing you've put the work in. No one can take that away from you.

It is difficult with the work thing. Take the books to work and make a clear half hour for lunch, answering machine on and read a chapter. Read them on the train. Half an hour before bed. In a traffic jam. It will soon sink in!

Once you've done one exam move straight on to revising for the next. Kick yourself to do it. Ask your instructor to keep hassling you if you think you work better under pressure. I did!

Best of luck.

F - Wyg

The Phoenix Rises
17th Aug 2003, 16:10
Hi Dewdrop:
Thanks. I try to be disciplined and set aside the right amount of time but things do get in the way. I am persevering though…!

Hi Evo:
Oh well some people tackle exams sooo well ! Yes I have the confuser… Love the pic on the front…(!)

Hi ppppp:
Every three weeks eh. Were you working full time as well? I have no engineering background; maths pretty good though.

Hi Saab Dastard:
Thanks for the tips! Yes, I’ve started on the magazines just recently actually…

Hi flyingwysiwyg:
Well I certainly do find them interesting, I can relate to that, so much so that I am finding it really tedious to have to go and tend the business! But then that’s what pays for the other, so that train of thought helps a lot. Sometimes I wish I could scrap the other stuff though…!!

Thanks for the encouragement and help everyone… I guess there’s light at the end of the tunnel then… I’m not sure I can see the tunnel yet though…!

TP

GroundBound
19th Aug 2003, 22:58
TPR

because of circumstances, I had to take all the exams in one go, but I would think it would be soooo much easier if you can do them one at a time over 6 months. You can concentrate on each subject in turn.

I found the Confuser absolutely essential as a "test-my- knowledge" book - but not to learn from - use Thom for that! There are a few questions and answers in the Confuser that are incorrect - so don't be totally reliant on it - be critical and check against Thom.

I went through the Confuser questions time and time again, until I could get every answer correct - I probably knew all the questions by heart at that stage. It got me through with only one error on every exam.

Fortunately I didn't have the interruptions, but I did spend about 1 to 2 hours a night every weekday for 3 months, reading, self-learning and self-testing.

good luck ;)

GB

The Phoenix Rises
19th Aug 2003, 23:23
Hi GroundBound:

Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to do them faster than 6 months if I can.

Took my Human Performance and Limitations yesterday. Passed! 100%.

Guess that's the easiest of them though. Still - it's a start...!

TP

Pink_aviator
20th Aug 2003, 02:00
HI PHONIEX
I have been flying since easter and am now struggling with my exams,have flown alot so nearly ready for skills test ,but still four exams to go.

YUK

I have been stuck on met for weeks so have givn in and got the CD interactive rom to help me .
(the demo lookes good)
so if i pass next week ,i will get the nav one etc.

I do not work ,though i do run the house hold, and have never enjoyed or passed many exams , but i do enjoy the subject matter ,
(passed air law, human performance,and RT theory)

I do have time to study in the day(i make time) and i have tapes and CDs but MET is taking longer than the others .
I use the confuser and have two question and answer books ,and when i consistently,get above the pass mark I take exam

pinkster
PINK-AVIATOR

The Phoenix Rises
21st Aug 2003, 07:43
Thanks for sharing, pinkster! It kind of helps to see and hear of others having a little struggle with these sorts of things...

I hope to have a little more time next week, and maybe I can tackle my Air Law studies more fully then.

Let us know when you take another exam!

TP

Tiger_ Moth
21st Aug 2003, 18:59
If you have sacks of money lying about the house but no time then you might want to consider doing a concentrated ground school course. Someone I know did it this way because his business takes up a lot of his time. He was taught exactly what he needed for each subject and passed all of them in one concentrated week. Sounds pretty hard but at least he got them out of the way. It did cost £600 or so , though.

That way isn't for everyone but it might be something you want to consider, I just did it spread out over months (years?) and actually had to re-do air law because I spread the other ones out too much. I'm so happy I've got them out of the way.