PDA

View Full Version : single pilot ops

gizmo
16th Aug 2003, 14:47
Any of you bright guys out there got any comments on single pilot ops compared to multi crew/airline etc. I have to give a short presentation to a g/a club. (They seem to think because I am recently retired 747-400 and all that stuff, that I know these things. Little do they know....) Skip the obvious, but anything relating to the safety of that type of operation.

compressor stall
17th Aug 2003, 11:04
I fly single pilot ops on 2 different sorts of turbine equipment.

PM me with any more specific questions you have.

CS

corblimey
20th Aug 2003, 08:07
I fly RPT turbine. Both Single pilot ops, and multi crew. I have a strong opinion of which is safer, but if I voiced that here, I would probably be hounded down.

Gizmo, if you wnat to hear it, email me on [email protected]

Stearperson
20th Aug 2003, 13:40
Gizmo:Flying the Cessna Citation both as a crew and single pilot I feel qualified to comment on this subject.

When a crew is working well together in a standardized an competent manner I feel it is much safer to have a two pilot crew.

That said if one is saddled with a non flying pilot who is not competent and does not perform their tasks properly it may be more trouble to watch over them than to just do all the work yourself. That way you at least know what has been done and that it was done to your standards.

When flying for an airline the training and standards usually insure that the level of crew coordination makes a two pilot crew safer. That is not always the case at some corporate operations where the level of training and standardization may not be nearly as great.

It is interesting to note that while attending Flight Safety International the instructor told me that single pilot Citations have enjoyed a better safety record than those flown by two pilot crews.

Sincerely, Stearperson