PDA

View Full Version : Taxilane

cheapfuel
16th Aug 2003, 11:03
I came across the terminolgy"Taxilane", which I have never heard of before, and I may be wrong, but it appears to have a different meaning than "Taxiway". This was in reference to the Las Vegas McCarren airport
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAS
(in the remarks section )
Could some enlighten me as to what the difference is between the two---Thanks ahead-Bob (KHOU)

PaperTiger
16th Aug 2003, 13:11
Taxilane:The portion of the aircraft parking area used for access between taxiways and aircraft parking positions (FAA)

Spitoon
19th Aug 2003, 03:57
If it's of any interest, in the UK Taxiway is defined (CAP 168) asA defined path on a land aerodrome established for the taxiing of aircraft and intended to provide a link between one part of the aerodrome and another, including:
(a) Aircraft stand taxilane. A portion of an apron designated as a taxi route intended to provide access to aircraft stands only.
(b) Apron taxiway. A portion of a taxiway system located on an apron and intended to provide a through taxi route across the apron.
(c) Rapid exit taxiway. A taxiway connected to a runway at an acute angle and designed to allow landing aeroplanes to turn off at higher speeds than are achieved on other exit taxiways thereby minimising runway occupancy times.

Little One
19th Aug 2003, 23:26
We term a taxi lane as the taxi way that runs through the Ramp. I don't know what our books in SA have as the official deffinition but as the taxiways are part of the manouevering area (ie excl Apron) and are therefore subject to ATC clearance when a Taxiway runs through the ramp and cause the ramp/Apron falls outside of ATC clearance/responsibility we then term it a taxi lane. Thereby all those annoying vehicles with the orange flashy lights on that run up and down the apron pulling stairs, baggage , food, people etc can drive across the taxilane without having to annoy us in the tower. In a ramp area the pilot has to keep an extra vigilant lookout cause most of the time these vehicles don't have a radio on the ramp controllers or GMC freq and therefore can't listen out to what else is happening around them.