PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS Pilot 111

Maxflyer
15th Aug 2003, 16:31
I have been offered a Garmin GPS Pilot111 that has rarely been used. It is in very good condition and I am very interested. I know that it has version 2.11 software and the map info says Cycle 0008 10/08/00 - 07/09/00. (Land Data 2)

Is this data valid and is it easy to get an update?

Any pointers gratefully received.

MF

LowNSlow
15th Aug 2003, 17:50
Maxflyer go here (http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp) and there is a software upgrade to version 2.12 which is compatible with the older 2.11. This will bring you up to 24th April 2002.

It will overwrite the existing database but it is recoverable if all goes pear shaped.

I take it the unit is being sold at less than the 340 quid that HM are selling new units for?

Don't forget to get the data cable so that you can install ProPlan on your PC and upload the routes directly to the Pilot III. It makes planning a route so much easier and produces your plogs and enroute radio frequencies as well.

brisl
15th Aug 2003, 18:30
I've had a GPS PIlot III for several years and its excellent. Still the best value hand-held GPS for a pilot IMHO.

There are three things in the memory of a GPS PIlot III that you need to understand

1) The software. Free updates from the Garmin website. These fix minor bugs from time to time (the most significant I can remember recently was a change to the maximum LCD backlight brightness).

2) The map. (Land masses, railways roads rivers cities lakes etc). This is fixed and NOT updateable. Check you have the version for the area in which you will be flying. I think the world is divided into 2 regions for map purposes.

3) The aviation data base. (Airspace, airfields, navaids, frequencies etc practcally an electronic Pooleys!). You can buy updates for this from most GPS sales outlets. A one off will be about £60 maybe less, monthly subscription services etc can also be had. Again the database is divided into a couple of world regsions Get the right one.

Software and database updates need the PC serial port cable -worth having but pricey. At one time someone was doing a free (really) clone of the plug for you to make your own - in exchange for charitable donations. Don't know if that is still available.

Crossedcontrols
15th Aug 2003, 20:56
Here is the info of the shareware plug people (http://pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml) They also do made up cables.

Or
S P Archer
Serialleads,
3 Pinehill Court,
Bangor, Co. Down,
BT19 6SG,
Northern Ireland.

He has a web site at serial leads (http://www.serialleads.co.uk/)

#16. cable (PC to Garmin GPS) £13.00

CC

Keef
16th Aug 2003, 00:44
Echo that. An excellent little GPS. Either "US" or "International" version, as I recall the names. Software updates free, database updates downloadable for a price.

Don't bother taking your UK/European one to the USA.

The interface with ProPlan is brilliant - you can upload your Plog into the GPS, and download your track afterwards to see how you did.

You absolutely need the lead to connect it to your PC.

I still use mine despite the GNS430 in the Arrow - because I can't upload and download routes to that.