PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS

VFR800
14th Aug 2003, 22:31
Sounds a bit like a consumer magazine, I know! But folks, nearing the end of my PPL and looking for a GPS, current contenders are a colour Skymap or Garmin GPSMap 295.

Key features,

Has to be portable but pref. have yoke mount accessory.
Colour pref.
Moving Map

Thing is, I have an Ipaq for work reasons and am curious about the Navman add ons that turn it into a GPS moving map, anyone had any experience of these?

Reviews, rave or otherwise, greatly appreciated. :cool:

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Aug 2003, 22:57
Hi VFR,

Have a look here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=466615&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) for the information you are looking for.

HTH

FD

brisl
15th Aug 2003, 22:42
Off topic I know, but approaching the end of my PPL training, I too went shopping for a GPS (got a Garmin GPS III Pilot at the time, but that's not my point). At about the same time I also bought a portable radio transceiver.

A few years down the line, I've realised that aircraft radio and electrical systems are more likely to break down than my PPL navigational skills. The GPS has been helpful but the radio has got me out of trouble! I use the GPS less now than I used to, but won't board a light aircraft without a fully charged backup radio.

If you are lost, someone on the end of the radio will help you find yourself. If you are out of communication, the GPS will just smile sweetly back at you.

I don't hold with those who think GPS's somehow make flying more dangerous (I think its the pilot who does that) and I wouldn't be without mine. By all means buy yourself a GPS, but get a battery portable radio as well, and if your budget is at all limited then I'd advise anyone in your position to get the radio first.

Aussie Andy
16th Aug 2003, 23:52
won't board a light aircraft without a fully charged backup radio I hear what you say, and I must admit to some trepidation when a couple of months back we had to fly back from Belgium into the UK non-radio after it went u/s... but there was something lovely about flying back without talking to anyone, made us feel the sky was all ours! Of course, it was 110% VFR - a lovely evening - and took place in familiar territory, so didn't feel at all unsafe.

ANdy

devilsguard
17th Aug 2003, 03:41
Just bought Garmin 196 - excellent.:D