PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Question?

spekesoftly
29th Nov 2001, 15:31
Some years ago I read an article about a thin perforated film (possibly made by 3M?) that could be applied to aircraft surfaces to reduce drag. At the time (hopefully not the 1st April!), I believe it was being tested by at least one UK Airline. Does anyone please remember what became of this product? Was it a success, and is it still used?

Zeke
2nd Dec 2001, 08:33
3M did have a product that as far as I recall was based upon shark scales but made a plastic film.

The idea was that the boundary layer would remain attached as a thin turbulent layer being reenergized by the coating, as the coating was like have very small vortex generators all over the aircraft.

Don’t know what came of it, I thought it was being trailed in Europe, it may be 15-20 years ago now.

The product from memory was a by product of the Americas cup boat race as the coating was designed originally to be attached to the hull of the racing yachts.

Z

spekesoftly
3rd Dec 2001, 13:22
Zeke, thanks for your reply, appreciated :)

spekesoftly

Siddique
3rd Dec 2001, 15:08
Still under trial by Airbus on an A340....aircraft registered in China (HK).

Mirkin About
4th Dec 2001, 03:02
Sneaking suspicion the product in question is known as "Riblets" , similar idea now used in the fancy swimming costumes of Olympic swimmers.

OnTheStep
4th Dec 2001, 05:19
not a new idea and it works (hence dimpled golf balls)

i don't know if it has so much to do with re-energizing flow as reducing the pressure drag.

Coffins Corner
4th Dec 2001, 05:45
Just a bit of trivia, "riblets" are ridges that run prependicular to streamlines, "rivulets" run parallel to streamlines.

The height of the ridges is on a microscopic scale (think sharkskin) and the main parameters that can be varied are the height of the peaks and the spacing between peaks.

OnTheStep
4th Dec 2001, 05:47
The height of the ridges is on a microscopic scale

indeed...wouldn't want to see anyone taking a ball-peen to their poor unsuspecting piper.