PDA

View Full Version : FAA Bi-Annual

spils
12th Aug 2003, 20:01
I "popped" over to NY last weekend and managed to get my piece of paper signed off to allow me to fly in the States.
I am going back to FL later in the year to do some hour building and would like to get my bi-annual out of the way prior to leaving the UK.
Therefore, is it possible to do a bi-annual in the UK or is this US specific too these days??
If it is possible to do it in the UK, any suggestions as to where would also be helpful.

Lemoncake
12th Aug 2003, 20:22
Hi Spils,

I did my last Bi-annual with a chap called Dick Fox from Andrewsfield in Jan this year (there will be plenty of others), so unless anything has changed I don't see any problems. Do you have a full FAA license? If not, then as far as I am aware, you do not need to take a Bi-annual based on your UK License. All you will need is a checkout at the airfield you fly from in the US.

Cheers

Cayambe
12th Aug 2003, 20:29
If you intend to fly an N registered aircraft on an FAA Licence, whether it is a "full" licenece or issued against a CAA or JAR licence you will definitely need a BFR with an FAA instructor or examiner to be legal

spils
12th Aug 2003, 21:06
I have a JAA license with FAA conversion - that was the bit I had to get signed off on US soil.
It does sound like I will need a BFR as I plan to fly an N reg aircraft.
For those that have done a BFR, how do they compare to the JAA instructional check rides?? Are they similar in content or will I have to do things like the ground referenced manoeuvres (Req Course, Turns Around Point, S-Turns) that are not a part of the JAA checks??
If it is like a JAA check then I should be ok otherwise I'd better get practising!!

Keef
12th Aug 2003, 22:54
The FAA BFR format is down to you and the instructor. It's usually an hour of "classroom" stuff, and an hour's flying. Certainly nothing like as difficult as a GFT.

If you're a safe, competent pilot then you'll have no problem.

BUT ... I would recommend getting to know your way round the FARs and US Sectional and Terminal charts. There are some bits of the FARs that you need to know "off pat" (eg VFR minima); for most of it, knowing where to look it up will usually suffice.

flyingfemme
13th Aug 2003, 01:16
Nice man, flies out of Oxford. Find his contact details here (http://www.upliftaviation.com/). Recommend you read the FARs and study a VFR chart for a while. It's a do-it-till-you-get-it-right and discussion rather than do-it-once pass/fail exercise.

david viewing
13th Aug 2003, 19:57
My understanding is that you do need a BFR when flying N-reg aircraft in the US (or anywhere else?) on a UK reciprocal licence.

As has been said, there is nothing intimidating about the BFR and it usually incorporates the check ride that most FBO's insist on.

I have been asked to do the turns on a point referred to and good fun it is too!

One anoying thing is that the BFR apparently doesn't count as the JAA 'flight with instructor' required in the second half of the 24 month period due to some bureacratic one upmanship despite the BFR being a more professional approach to the currency issue.

David

englishal
14th Aug 2003, 04:10
The FARs stat that a FAA certificate holder, whether issued on basis of JAA licence or not needs to comply with the FAR's. So you do need a BFR, flying on you N reg ticket without one is breaking the law [even if you are using some of your N reg privileges in a GF reg aircraft......]

They do it at Enstone in Oxfordshire...

EA:D

Speedbird48
14th Aug 2003, 05:45
Spils,
Please check your PM. I will be in UK soon and can help you.
Regards,
Brian.

Mike Cross
14th Aug 2003, 09:42
Did my BFR a few days ago at Springfield Vermont.

An hour's ground school, which was mainly to do with teaching me how to read the US Sectional Chart, a good briefing on airspace, and information on how to get a briefing.

Followed by a little over an hour's flying. Flew over to Lebanon VT to shoot some touch and go's in various configurations. Slow flight, including turning at very low airspeeds, stalls (proper ones where you actually get a wing drop on a 172) and some PFL's, including a simulated engine failure in the circuit. Whe he saw me go for the flap switch he said "by the way the flaps have failed as well" so it was the biggest sideslip I could manage and a landing o the cross runway.

All very enjoyable and nothing to be intimidated by.

Weather on the east coast has been rain and thunderstorms:{

Mike

spils
14th Aug 2003, 16:09
Thanks for all your help.

Mike Cross - that sounds pretty similar to a JAA check ride with a bit of ground school which is never a bad thing.