PDA

View Full Version : GPS196 - UK or US?

Hersham Boy
11th Aug 2003, 19:56
I have decided to buy a GPS.. and the Garmin 196 looks like the beast for me.

I reckon I can save about £100 on the purchase price if I buy in the US (am going to be there in a few weeks)... but what issues will this bring (notwithstanding customs and two pin plug on charger)?

Presumably it will come with a US database - so what will a UK database cost me?

Anything else?

Anyone able to advise?

Cheers
Hersh

ModernDinosaur
11th Aug 2003, 20:16
I've just purchased a GPSMap 196 with the "International Atlantic" database (i.e. Europe) and it is great - by far the easiest GPS I've used, up to and including the GNS530. However, according to the Garmin website FAQ:
It is also important to note that models with built-in mapping (such as the GPS III Pilot, GPSMAP 195, GPSMAP 196, and GPSMAP 295) will show built-in ground map detail for only one of two regions: North/Central/South America or Europe/Africa/Asia/Australia. Updating the Jeppesen database will not affect the built-in "base map". For example, if a GPS III Pilot with Americas Jeppesen database and Americas basemap is updated with an Atlantic International Jeppesen database, the Jeppesen data will then cover Europe and Africa. However, the built-in base map will still cover North, Central, and South America. The base map in your GPS receiver cannot be updated or changed.
It also suggests that you can only have the International or Americas Jeppesen database loaded, not both, so those pilots who fly on both sides of the Atlantic need to buy two '196s. Hmmm.

I think you're based near Redhill, Hersh? If you'd like to have a look at my '196 before you buy, drop me a PM. I will be at the Redhill Airshow (www.acebell.flyer.co.uk) if you want to meet then, although I am helping with the show so I will be quite busy most of the time.

Cheers,

MD.

Mark 1
11th Aug 2003, 20:25
I didn't think there was a charger in with it, just a set of alkaline batteries to get you started.

I bought my 295 originally at Oshkosh and made sure that it came with the European database. Updates can be downloaded for about $30 a time.

If you buy over the counter, there will also be the local sales tax to add - probably 5-6%.

C&E will want to charge you VAT and import duty, the latter you can avoid if you have an aircraft end-use certificate. If they are busy they'll probably let it pass for free.

flyingfemme
12th Aug 2003, 00:12
Updating Garmin databases is easy if you have broadband. You can buy them online (as Mark says about $30 a throw) and store the file on your machine.

Only one flavour of database can be on the machine at any time BUT you can download from your PC/laptop from the stored files if you are swapping between US/Europe.

The Nr Fairy
12th Aug 2003, 01:39
Getting it back through Customs shouldn't be too much of an issue if you don't look suspect !

If it's worth less than about £150 then I think that's covered.

Just as well you're not going TO the US 6 months after 9/11 with a borrowed handheld transceiver and other gear to do some hour-building, cos getting stopped and my bags searched was mightily concerning. At least I had right on my side, and Hersh's borrowed transceiver survived to tell the tale !

devilsguard
17th Aug 2003, 04:40
Hersh,

Just bought 196 from US - no probs at all, just make sure It has

a) Jeppesen Atlantic (Europe) Aviation Database for aviation mode.

b) Atlantic (Europe) Autoroute Basemap for land mode.

If you ask for the Atlantic version it will have both of these as standard.

Again, if it doesn't have both of the above - it will be useless in the UK and Garmin warn that the unit cannot be altered. Please see http://www.garmin.com/include/basemaps/atlantic_autoroute_basemap.html

Also I recommend the autopack comprising:

1. Mapsource Software CD-ROM - City Select Europe v 5.00
2. 64Mb programmable data card.
3. USB Data Card Programmer
4. Non-skid Friction Mount

These items are shown on page 106 (Appendix F) of the 196 user manual. (available online on the Garmin site)

The 196 doesn't have a mains charger with it as standard, so get one when you get back.

As for C&E - you takes your chance.

If you want more info PM me