PDA

View Full Version : Q codes

woodpecker
11th Aug 2003, 16:22
When I trained back in the sixties the number of Q codes which the then skippers used amazed me. Obviously, I assumed, left over from the war.

When I retired those in use were down to single figures. Obviously QFE (although BA dumped using it ages ago), QNH, QDM etc are still in use, but what about the others?

For example using QSY (I think that is correct) rather than "I am changing/ would like to change frequency" seemed to save RT clutter.

There must be loads of other forgotten (but useful) Q codes out there...

Over to you........

eagerbeaver
11th Aug 2003, 16:37
there are loads found a site with the them all, its unbelievable...

bon appetite!

http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php

abra
11th Aug 2003, 18:48
And for all the anoraks amongst us,that is why the UK would not use the letter Q in any of its reggie marks.

square leg
11th Aug 2003, 18:58
Some other interesting stuff about Q-codes:

QNH=Queen's Natural Height
QFE=Queen's Field Elevation
QNE=Queen's Natural Elevation

Eiish, Haaikona

HotDog
11th Aug 2003, 19:01
With a hostie sitting on my lap, would a quick transmission of QRM be in order?;)

Golden Rivet
11th Aug 2003, 20:43
Or maybe QAU or QEC ?

;)

HotDog
11th Aug 2003, 21:32
69 would be quicker!:E

Bullethead
11th Aug 2003, 22:49
For those of you who are really at a loose end here's another bunch of strange codes with which to amuse yourselves.

http://www.kloth.net/radio/zcodes.php

:cool: :cool:

LEM
13th Aug 2003, 15:38
In the beginning, when HD was still a child, the phonetic alphabet in use was the american one, and it sounded a lot different:
A was Able, B was Baker, Lufthansa was LOVE/UNCLE/FOX/TARE/HOW/ABLE/NAN/SUGAR/ABLE.

Everything seemed to work fine until foreign crews, bound for the UK, started to request, with false innocence, the QFE.

That sounded: QUEEN FOX EASY!
Amazing, but that is the reason why ICAO was urged to find another alphabet, the one we know today.

So the Queen's virtue is no lorger in doubt.