PDA

View Full Version : Great Orton, Cumbria

Kirkbride
10th Aug 2003, 01:26
We planned to use the above airfield a couple of years ago but the dreadful Foot & Mouth crisis arrived and the airfield was closed and used as a burial site for thousands of animals. Prior to that there had been some GA and microlight activity. Thankfully the crisis is behind us now. Can any one tell me if the airfield was made available to GA again. I notice on the current 1/2 Mil. chart that there is micro. activity, but is this for real, and can we once again use the runway with say a PA28.

Spiney Norman
10th Aug 2003, 20:20
Hi Kirkbride.
As you may know, Roger Savage, of Solway Light aviation, used to operate from Great Orton. He may well be able to help about current availability. I've got an email address which may still be current.....
[email protected]
Also Solway Light aviation have a phone number of 01697 351006.
Hope this helps.

Spiney.
P.S. I believe he's now involved with Kirkbride so they may know something, if you haven't already tried them.

djtaylor
13th Aug 2003, 22:43
We were there last week Gt Orton now has wind turbines along the line of the former runway & I was told it was closed other than to the incumbent autogyro operator.
For better go to Kirkbride with a friendly welcome & a1200m runway. Carlise is also friendly but more formal,I fuelled there with my free landing voucher.

martinidoc
13th Aug 2003, 22:52
There has been a dispute at Kirkbride recently to do with the three farmers who own the land. Trailers have been parked at points along the runway, and are apparently difficult to see until close to airfield.

Recommend you check with Kirkbride (In Pooley's) before visiting. Agree this is a good site, with long paved runway, and pub lunch overlooking the field.

gasax
13th Aug 2003, 23:14
Dropped into Kirkbride on the way back from Kemble, the issues with the airfield have been resolved.

And taxiing to the pub for lunch is an interesting change!

wher2guv
14th Aug 2003, 06:00
Last I heard Gt Orton was being made into a nature reserve and there is no public admittance to certain areas. Due to gases and stuff.