PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a Safety pilot

RobinHood
8th Aug 2003, 20:27
Could someone please point out where I can find the CAA definition of a "Safety Pilot" - better still if someone already knows it could they resight it for me?

I am aware that a safety pilot must be a licenced pilot. What I'm wondering is could a PPL with no IMC rating be regarded as a "safety pilot" while flying in IMC, say during IMC training??? Logic to me says no, but I don't know if the definition goes that far.

Any guidance appreciated.

Human Factor
8th Aug 2003, 21:07
Don't know where anything is written down, but on the old CAP509 course, we used to do 'mutual' flying with one guy on instruments only. Neither of us held a licence as we were trainees.

Mark 1
8th Aug 2003, 21:09
JAR-FCL 1.035:

(e) Operational Safety Pilot Limitation
(OSL - Class 2 only). A safety pilot is a pilot
who is qualified to act as PIC on the classitype
of aeroplane and carried on board the aeroplane,
which is fitted with dual controls, for the
purpose of taking over control should the PIC
holding this specific medical certificate
restriction become incapacitated (see IEM FCL
1.035). An OSL can only be issued or removed
by the Authority.]

Sorry, I just realised that you meant safety pilot for simulated IMC.

This is covered by Rule 6 of the Rules of the Air:

Simulated instrument flight
6 (1) An aircraft shall not be flown in simulated instrument flight conditions unless:
(a) the aircraft is fitted with dual controls which are functioning properly;
(b) an additional pilot (in this rule called a ‘safety pilot’) is carried in a second control
seat of the aircraft for the purpose of rendering such assistance as may be
necessary to the pilot flying the aircraft; and
(c) if the safety pilot’s field of vision is not adequate both forward and to each side
of the aircraft, a third person, being a competent observer, occupies a position in
the aircraft which from his field of vision makes good the deficiencies in that of
the safety pilot, and from which he can readily communicate with the safety pilot.
(2) For the purposes of this rule the expression ‘simulated instrument flight’ means a
flight during which mechanical or optical devices are used in order to reduce the field
of vision or the range of visibility from the cockpit of the aircraft.

It doesn't specifically state that the pilot has to be qualified for the particular flight. I don't see why it should matter in this case.

RobinHood
8th Aug 2003, 21:34
Thanks Mark 1...

...but I'm still fuzzy on this.

Take the scenario I described: PPL(A), no IMC rating, but flying in IMC for the purpose of obtaining an IMC rating.

As I see it, it can be interpreted two ways:

1. Bloggs could not be regarded as a safety pilot, because he is not "qualified to act as PIC" Even though he has a PPL(A) and a SEP rating, he has no IMC rating

or...

2. Bloggs could be regarded as a safety pilot, because he "is a pilot who is qualified to act as PIC on the class/type of aeroplane"

Imagine a guy on his first IMC trip, in thick cloud, with a low cloud base. He has his PPL and a class rating, but could he seriously be regarded as being suitably qualified to act as PIC, should it become necessary???

RodgerF
8th Aug 2003, 21:35
Mark 1 had posted most of my reply already so I have just these two points to add.

When you ask about an unrated PPL flying as a safety pilot in IMC, its not relevant. If the commander of the aircraft is licenced to fly in IMC then there is no requirement for a safety pilot. During IMC training the instructor would be PIC and if ‘simulated instrument flight’ was undertaken they would maintain the lookout. A third person in the aircraft could act as an observer, if the commander so wished.

The other aspect of ‘safety pilot’ which is more of an undefined area, is when a pilot takes someone who has more experience or qualifications with them. This might happen if there were concerns with the weather or the difficulty of the flight. For example a low time IMC pilot, who is qualified to fly in the conditions might take someone with more instrument experience in case things get really hard. Sometimes these arrangements are quite informal, e.g ‘We’re off to XXXX, I’ve never been there before, I’d appreciate you coming with us’.

RobinHood

Imagine a guy on his first IMC trip, in thick cloud, with a low cloud base. He has his PPL and a class rating, but could he seriously be regarded as being suitably qualified to act as PIC, should it become necessary???

See above. The scenario you describe is not legally possible. If someone has no IMC rating then they can only fly in IMC as a student with an instructor suitably qualified.

RobinHood
8th Aug 2003, 21:44
Just to clarify...

Student:
======

PPL(A)
No IMC rating
Full medical - no restrictions

Instructor:
=======

CPL(A)
IMC rating
Class 2 restricted to carrying a safety pilot

Scenario:
=======

PPL(A) undergoing IMC training in IMC

Question: Can the student be regarded as a "safety pilot"???

RodgerF
8th Aug 2003, 21:51
Now I understand where you are coming from. This IMO is not allowed. The safety pilot must be qualified to fly the aircraft in the conditions pertaining if an incapacitation occurred.

RobinHood
8th Aug 2003, 22:08
RodgerF - thanks for your input. We seem to share the same opinion on this, but I'm looking for a definitive answer (if there is one)

As I suspected, the definition of a "safety pilot" stops some way short of the conditions of flight etc... but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

In VMC there's not really much of a problem - bloggs can forget his scan and his VOR, look out of the window and land somewhere, but in the scenario I described, poor old bloggs would be somewhat up the creek without the proverbial paddle. His PPL and his SEP rating alone would not be much use as he spiraled into the ground...

RodgerF
8th Aug 2003, 22:34
I think that Mark 1's post referring to JAR FCL 1.035 goes most of the way.

FlyingForFun
8th Aug 2003, 22:58
I'm going to disagree with RodgerF slightly here I think.

To use Mark 1's quotes, in this scenario, the instructor would not be qualified to fly the aeroplane, because according to JAR-FCL 1.035 he needs a Safety Pilot, and there is no suitable Safety Pilot on board.

However, not being qualified to fly the aeroplane does not prevent him acting as a "safety pilot" as defined in Rule 6.

Therefore, it would be entirely legal, I think, for the student to log P1, put some foggles on, and fly simulated IMC in VMC.

However, it would not be legal to fly in actual IMC - the student is not qualified to do so, and the instructor, although qualified to fly in IMC, is not allowed to act as PIC. It would also not be legal for the instructor to log the time, or for the student to log the time as PUT, since the instructor can not act as P1 without a Safety Pilot.

At least, that's the way I read the rules. But then I'm probably completely wrong! :D

FFF
-----------

RodgerF
8th Aug 2003, 23:28
FFF

Flying in IMC whilst training was the scenario described by Robin Hood.

If its VMC the instructor can be in charge and the student can be the safety pilot. He doesn't need to be P.1 to put the foggles on.

FlyingForFun
9th Aug 2003, 01:32
Yes Rodger, Robin Hood did specify in IMC - my mistake for not reading the question!

As to whether the instructor can be in charge in VMC, I'd still say No. If the student has foggles on, he's not really in a position to take control if necessary, is he? And JAR-FCL 1.035 requires that the Safety Pilot be able to take control. On the other handle, if the student takes the foggles off then I agree the instructor can log the time.

FFF
-------------

RobinHood
9th Aug 2003, 15:26
...the point I'm making here is whether or not bloggs can be ragarded, in legal terms, as a safety pilot - and therefore whether or not this imaginary scenario can legally take place.