PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR -> IMC revalidation

englishal
6th Aug 2003, 17:00
If you hold an IMC rating issued on the basis of an FAA IR then you may not need to take an IMC renewal skills test with a CAA examiner to re-validate for a further 2 years.

Just got a letter from the CAA which states that the IMC issued on basis of FAA IR can be revalidated by either a IMC renewal skills test with a CAA examiner as normal or an FAA IPC {instrument proficiency check} with an FAA CFII. If you logbook contains an IPC within the preceeding 25 months you are eligable for a "free" IMC renewal at the cost of £67....you basically tear up the old IMC rating and re-apply. Your logbook must show this as an IPC though.

If you keep your IR current by experience then this is not acceptable for a renewal of the IMC rating, you need to do the IPC or a IMC renewal skills test.

Just thought someone would find this interesting [I did, it saved my a load of cash as I have an IPC in my logbook a year ago, so now I just send off the logbook and £67......]

Cheers
EA:D

Julian
6th Aug 2003, 17:44
EA,

Could you clarify?
Would the new IMC issued be valid for 2 yrs from the previous IPC check or from date new IMC issued?

Ta,
Julian.

englishal
6th Aug 2003, 19:02
Date of expiry of current IMC rating. "Revalidated for a further 25 month period on the basis of your FAA IR....provided you have completed an IPC in the previous 25 months preceding the date of application for the revalidation of you IMC rating"....

Cyer
EA:D

IO540
7th Aug 2003, 00:00
Amazing... the CAA do what they can to close off the "improper" benefits of an FAA IR :O Fortunately, the French are even worse!

The FAA IR pilots I've met are mostly owners of classy planes who fly frequently and are far more current as a result than the average IMCR or a non-commercial JAA IR holder...