PDA

View Full Version : Notta Spotter

Dop
4th Aug 2003, 20:37
Quite often I'm told on the radio that I should be watching out for a thingy in my area. "What's that look like when it's at home?" is my thought. Other than the obvious stuff I'm really crap at recognising other aircraft, so I've been thinking maybe I should get one of those spotter books to help me recognise that plane that's over there.

Is it worth doing, and does anyone have any recommendations?

AerBabe
4th Aug 2003, 20:44
On one of my solo sessions in the circuit, early in my PPL training, I was told to wait for the passing caravan. I saw an aeroplane land, but not a Volvo towing a large box....

Recommendations? There's no argument, it has to be a Jane's aircraft guide.

Dave Gittins
4th Aug 2003, 21:11
As the danger is it'll be either a low wing, single engined, single finned monoplane or a high winged single engined, single finned, monoplane, or some sort of aerial egg-whisk, does it matter that much as long as you manage to see and avoid ???

I can probably distinguish one aeroplane from another as well as most (was a spotter 30 years ago when our aeroplanes were new and shinier) but if I'm looking for a C-172, my 12 O'clock same level, opposite direction, I don't give a monkeys what sort it is as long as I can stop it ramming into me. I certainly won't ignore it if it isn't a 172.

tacpot
4th Aug 2003, 23:59
Janes do an Aircraft Recognition handbook which I would have recommended, based on my use of the early edition, but you need to see the comments on Amazon about the current edition before deciding to buy.

It's probably still a good book, but best not to try to read it while in the air! This sort of knowledge can be picked up over time, using a book like the Recognition Handbook to top-up your knowledge and speed up the rate at which you learn new types.

AerBabe
5th Aug 2003, 00:08
The easy answer is to ask ATC... "I'm not familiar with that type, could you give me more information?" And remember your Ps & Qs!

Flying Boat
5th Aug 2003, 01:16
I would suggest it is advisable to learn what most common types look like.

If you arrive at a busy airfield where commercial traffic is operating and are number 7, but told you are number 2 to a Dash 8 (number 6), it helps. Especially if the others are a BN Trislander, ATR, Fokker 50, 146 & Saab 2000.

I have experienced a similar situation several times over the years, mainly at Jersey. Silhouette recognition should be enough, just like telling the difference between a Heinkel & a Blenheim in the war.

Sometimes the radio will be too busy to ask for further info, depends on the situation at the time.

A nice, small sized and above all, simple to read is the Observer book of Aircraft. Or a book by Ian Allan, usually good for aircraft enthusiasts.

FB:8

Saab Dastard
5th Aug 2003, 03:00
Reminds me of Whirlybird's classic at the Duxford fly-in in April:

Tower: "park beside the B-17"
Whirly: "what's a B-17?"

I was on final when I heard the exchange and I nearly had to go around I laughed so much!

SD

vintage ATCO
5th Aug 2003, 03:45
The easy answer is to ask ATC... "I'm not familiar with that type, could you give me more information?"

And you think we know. . . . ?

"You number two to a, er, [reads off the strip] XY97!"

"What's one of them then?"

"Er, a big plane with wings????"

But it is a good idea the grasp a basic knowledge of the more common types.

We don't go in for the absolute micro-differences between similar types. You call a PA28 to someone to be informed "I'm a PA28RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!", or "I'm a Dakota" at which point I use to say to the first "traffic in your left 11 o'clock is a DC3". Oh well.

VA

FlyingForFun
5th Aug 2003, 20:58
(The guys on the ATC forum have already had a good laugh at this story - hope posting it here doesn't break the duplicate-posting rule!)

Me, inbound to my home airfield in my Europa, G-IK, working a local LARS frequency. Another Europa, G-AB, slightly behind me, also inbound to the same field, and working the same frequency. The exchange went as follows:

G-AB G-AB, request frequency change to Somewhere Radio, 123.45
Controller G-AB, frequency change approved, be aware that you're following another Europa helicoptor into the same field.

(A few moments later)

Me G-IK, request frequency change to Somewhere Radio, 123.45, and the last time I checked I wasn't a helicoptor

(Pause)

Controller Er, G-IK, say your type
Me G-IK is a Europa, which is a fixed-wing aircraft
Controller Oh, I didn't know that! Frequency change approved.

:D

FFF
----------

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2003, 21:33
A mate of mine a couple of weeks back was approaching Bournemouth from the north(!) and asked to report that he has the "Beech" in sight.

He couldn't see a "beach" - so he said something like "Um, not yet... do you mean Hengistbury"!? :p :=

AerBabe
5th Aug 2003, 21:47
There's someone on this forum who can only recognise concordes and europas... Guess who.

FlyingForFun
6th Aug 2003, 01:26
Um... err... No idea, AerBabe :O

FFF
-----------

Wycombe
6th Aug 2003, 15:35
Having once been a spotter :O really does help....I'd actually be quite embarrased I think to have to ask what another type looks like.

What Flying Boat mentions is actually quite a serious point IMHO -you really should know your Boeings from your Airbuses if you're flying from/into places where you're going to come across them
(Air Traffic are not an aircraft recognition service!)

OK, anorak on, AerBabe - did you know there is a Caravan 1 and a Caravan 2? - and that they are quite different aeroplanes :)

AlanM
6th Aug 2003, 16:51
Hey VA - don't start the PA28RRRRRRRRR again!!

It helps if you do know the type. I once gave traffic information on a PA28 and the reply was "yes I can see the Cessna 152".

I checked the strip and asked the oher aircraft who confirmed was a PA28. he was visual with a non squawking not seen primary underneath the Piper! Not exactly mega improtant under a FIS but you catch my drift.

Also becomes important if on an airfield. Ever had "after the landing C182 line up and wait" Could be a little embarrassing if you mis-ident.

Finnally - just knowing the difference between fixed wing and rotary or high wing/low wing would help you. Not least if your instructor says "we are taking the PA28 today" and you go and wait by the C150!! :)

-------------------------------------------------

"I am not a spotter - just have a healthy professional interest!"

Northern Highflyer
6th Aug 2003, 17:00
So what is the definition of a caravan (the flying variety) ? :ok:

EGPFlyer
6th Aug 2003, 18:37
Caravan I (http://grandcaravan.cessna.com/) and Caravan II (http://www.geocities.co.jp/SweetHome/2998/f-gpra.html)

toddles off to put his anorak on.......

Bootlegger
6th Aug 2003, 19:08
Landing at Humberside..i was told to orbit right for a "Fokker" on final........i thought the controller was a bit harsh on the old chap.:mad: ;) :) ........still no idea what the "fokker" looks like ;)

Northern Highflyer
6th Aug 2003, 20:49
Ahhhhhhh THAT'S what they are :D

Not a 36x12 footer with en-suite and 3 bedrooms with wings after all.

Have seen quite a few "fokkers" at Humberside myself. ;) :}

Dop
6th Aug 2003, 22:06
Bootlegger: I thought it was traditional at such times to shake your fist and say "Curse you, Red Baron!"

astir 8
7th Aug 2003, 15:34
Caravan = really really overgrown 150 which goes weeeeeeeeee instead of rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

big.al
7th Aug 2003, 16:43
Reminds me of an old joke.....

Retired Polish pilot who flew Hurricanes with the RAF if WWII, being interviewed on local TV, tells the interviewer about "shooting down several Fokkers in one day". Interviewer asks for clarification.... "just for the benefit of the viewers at home, the Fokker was a type of German aircraft, wasn't it?"

"Ah yes" replies our Polish hero... "but these Fokkers were Messerschimdts".

(The joke doesn't work as well in type - how do you 'type' a Polish accent?). Never mind. The old ones... are still just the old ones.