PDA

View Full Version : Engine runs on a taildragger

Grob Driver
4th Aug 2003, 17:25
Quick question… Can I legally run the engine (solo) of a tail dragger if I don’t have a tail wheel conversion? I’m not going to fly it, or taxi it…. Just run the engine for someone… is that legal? (Obviously I have a PPL!)

Cheers

Grob Driver

Megaton
4th Aug 2003, 17:55
I'm curious: why would someone else want you to run their engine for them? Since the aircraft won't be under power for the purposes of taking off (or whatever the wording is), I can't imagine that it really matters one jot. Further curiosity: what kind of single-engine aircraft is it?

AerBabe
4th Aug 2003, 18:07
I'm guessing someone might want you to sit in while they swing the prop? I have done this for a fellow ppruner, and can't remember if I'd done any tailwheel flying at the time. All I had to do was keep the brakes on and the stick back... I don't think there are any legal issues. I hope not anyway!!

Mike Cross
4th Aug 2003, 18:12
At a guess there would be no problem. Otherwise an engineer would not be able to carry out ground runs.

Suspect it is to do with the definition of Flight Time, which if I recall correctly starts from the moment that the aircraft first moves under its own power with the intention of taking off.

Therefore you can log it as flight time even if you don't take off (say a rejected takeoff or a problem on run-up).

If you are not intending to take off it's not flight time, and therefore presumably you don't need a licence.

Otherwise the Guys at Brintingthorpe could be in trouble taxying their Vulcan!

Mike

(ducking back below the parapet ;) )

Kingy
4th Aug 2003, 18:45
Of course you can!

I regularly hand swing my Cub with my pax on board who I fully brief before hand - whats the difference?

Kingy

ps I wish the answer was 'no' then you'd have no choice except do a conversion! :ok:

Davidt
4th Aug 2003, 19:44
ANO defines flight as from the time the aircraft first moves under its own power until the end of the landing run.

Your insurance policy may define it differently so if something happens with you an unqualified pilot in command you may have your claim refused !

FlyingForFun
4th Aug 2003, 20:40
It's quite common for airliners to be taxied around by people without a pilots license - engineers, for example. The rules are that you have to have had appropriate training, but I don't think there's anything which defines what that training is, or who can give it. So I can't see any problem at all.

Davidt - the flight time is the time the aircraft first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off until it next comes to rest at the end of the flight (or something like that). This would not count as a "flight" even if the aircraft was moved, since it wouldn't be for the purpose of taking off.

FFF
----------------

Grob Driver
6th Aug 2003, 16:03
Thanks very much for all the replies…

Sounds like I should be ok!

Cheers… And as always, your help is very much appreciated.

Grob Driver