PDA

View Full Version : using your lumo colour to mark on the computer?!

Pilot16
3rd Aug 2003, 09:48
Hi

Ok i remember people on this forum suggesting a student pilot to use the lumocolour feltips to mark on the wind side of the computer to get accurate results, and hence perform better on the Nav written exam.

I have been using this method for a while and use nailpolish remover to remove the small dot (other ways use a lot of scrubbing :rolleyes: )

well, my CRP1 computer has had its end today, some nailpolish remover got to the degrees markings on the inner scale and completely rubbed a part off it; making the wind side of the computer effectively unusable :\

Im gona go for a new CRP5 now as Im gona go Commercial anyway...

Well, i guess this is just a word of warning to anyone else out there like me... :ugh:

Rupert S
3rd Aug 2003, 15:46
I've got a CRP-5 and I use markers and get rid of the markings with meths. Are the degree markings painted onto the CRP1 differently from the crp-5 (if it is the movable card with degree markings and drift lines that you're talking about) ? I've spilled meths on the computer many times and it hasn't done it any harm.

NineEighteen
3rd Aug 2003, 16:39
I use an HB automatic pencil to mark my CRP-5 and an eraser (or my thumb) to rub it out. It works just fine.

Pilot16...the CRP-5 features heavily in the Gen Nav ATPL exam so a pencil and an eraser is gonna be the best way. Mark an accurate cross rather than a dot. You have around a minute to solve each Whizz-wheel problem so get it soon and start practising at speeding up! Good luck :ok:

Boing_737
3rd Aug 2003, 17:04
I used the non-permanent version. Works just as well, doesn't knacker your computer, and rubs of easily if you make a mistake, or have finished with it. You just have to be a bit careful about not rubbing it off during your calculations, but thats trivial to having to fork out for a new computer every now and again.

murphy1901
3rd Aug 2003, 18:17
A useful tip I was shown is to use a permanent marker on the computer (or maps). If you then draw over the permanent marker line with a wider tip dry wipe marker and wipe - viola! - the permanent marker is removed.

Try it - it works! :ok:

Another St Ivian
3rd Aug 2003, 18:21
You don't even need to go to that amount of effort. A good plastic rubber that has been damped a little will rub marker off of charts and pretty much everything else plastic.

Chris

Tinstaafl
3rd Aug 2003, 19:57
Use a soft-ish pencil. I find a 2B is ideal. It easily rubs off with your thumb/finger, especially if you moisten your digit first. Using your digit to erase helps to avoid polishing out the very slight roughness the writing surface has for better marking.

turnoffthepapis
4th Aug 2003, 09:27
Is there any kind of digital 'whizz-wheel' on the market?
Is it approved?:suspect:

FlyingForFun
4th Aug 2003, 15:16
I'm with Boing_737 - any half-decent stationary shop will be able to sell you a non-permanent marker which can be wiped off with a damp tissue. Pencils scratch the plastic, and permanent markers are a pain to clean off - non-permanent is the way to go!

Papis - I'm pretty sure there are plenty of digital versions out there, I'd try looking through the Transair catalogue or similar? As for being approved - I don't think you need any approval to use any device for flight planning. The only exception is for exams, and no they're not approved for exams.

FFF
-----------

High Wing Drifter
4th Aug 2003, 15:30
A sharpened chinagraph (spelling) pencil is more than adequate, requires non of the messing about (can just remove with finger)and is probably more accurate than most folks flying! The exam questions won't give options 2 degrees apart. The questions usually want to make sure that you are not confused about how to add wind and compensate for drift. The options will be very distinct.

Very very easy so long as you know how to use the CRP and cross-check your answer approximatey.

Rupert S
4th Aug 2003, 15:34
High Wing Drifter, I know that red chinagraphs will permenantly stain the plastic red so they really aren't a good idea, I think the blue ones are the same so i'd really steer clear of them - especially on an expensive new CFP-5.

squawking 7700
4th Aug 2003, 16:31
Do as Another St Ivian says and get a plastic rubber, lick the back
of your hand to wet the rubber.

A lot better (and safer) than farting about with meths or nail varnish remover.

This comes recommended by someone who started out doing manual draughting.

Mike Cross
4th Aug 2003, 18:30
Nail polish remover is Acetone, which is a pretty viscious solvent and will disssolve a lot of inks and some plastics. It is also highly volatile.

Meths is much less viscious and takes off permanent markers with no problem.

I prefer to use a permanent marker on my chart (though I don't use it on the computer). I carry a very small amount of meths in a tiny plastic shampoo bottle (the type you get in hotel bathrooms that holds about a dessertspoon) and a small scrap of cloth. You only need a tiny amount so it lasts forever.

Mike

High Wing Drifter
4th Aug 2003, 18:43
High Wing Drifter, I know that red chinagraphs will permenantly stain the plastic red so they really aren't a good idea, I think the blue ones are the same so i'd really steer clear of them - especially on an expensive new CFP-5.
Good point. However, black, the only colour I use, is fine..perfect for the job in fact :) Even if you do use red, meths will sort the problem, but then you are back at square one I guess.

Tinstaafl
4th Aug 2003, 20:40
FFF, I disagree with your statement that a pencil scratches the surface. I've used pencils for a very long time and never had this happen. I should add that I use a soft pencil ie a 'B' series such as 2B and not the 'H'/'HB' types.