PDA

View Full Version : Hawarden crash

Ian_Wannabe
2nd Aug 2003, 01:06
Hey,
I just heard on the radio that an aircraft had crashed at Hawarden (EGNR) in North Wales after an engine failure.....

Does anyone have any more information about the pilots? Just injured I beleive :confused:

Hope you both get better soon

Spikeee
2nd Aug 2003, 01:09
Blimey, i used to do a few curcuits there when Liverpool was too busy. Sorry not heard anything.

Hope everyones ok.

Spike

Timothy
2nd Aug 2003, 01:10
Not that it's very relevant, but I think that Hawarden is in Cheshire in England.

W

maggioneato
2nd Aug 2003, 01:13
Two POB, I know them both, they will be ok in time, one worse than the other, but ok.

Ian_Wannabe
2nd Aug 2003, 01:21
Maggioneato I'm glad to hear they're both ok.

Pass on our Pprune regards to them both - Get well soon
:ok:

ModernDinosaur
2nd Aug 2003, 02:23
Best wishes to them both for a speedy recovery, and to those who went to their aid for a nasty job well done.

MD.

Whirlybird
2nd Aug 2003, 04:00
I heard about this too, and was wondering, as I fly from Hawarden. Glad to hear they're OK, and hope they recover soon.

WCollins,
Hawarden is in Wales, just!

Zlin526
2nd Aug 2003, 04:21
A fairly balanced view here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/3117047.stm

Maybe journos are getting soft? No "Aircraft narrowly misses school" shock-horror headlines here.. There was an Irish registered Lake Buccaneer for sale in the classified of 'Flyer' mag this month

Whirly,

I think by the web address, you might just be right.

Hen Ddraig
2nd Aug 2003, 16:25
Glad to hear both OK.
The LA4 based at Hawarden is G-SKID
Hawarden is in Flintshire, Flintshire is in Wales.
The only english bit at the field is the Cheshire police air support unit.

Time to spare. Go by air.

HD

Timothy
3rd Aug 2003, 06:50
So it is! Looking at the map, the Welsh border passes in the very small gap between the City of Chester and the airfield.

Amusingly, the address is Broughton, Nr Chester, N Wales, which seems a little odd as Chester is (of course) in Cheshire and not N Wales.

Well, you learn something every day!

W

dope05
4th Aug 2003, 01:07
The aircraft tok off about 1300hrs Fri. Crashed shortly afterwards about 1/2 mile from the end of 23. Unfortunately hit a power cable during forced landing and flipped aircraft on its back. CFI Ian Sixsmith seriously injured and spent hours in surgery owing to very bad facial injuries. He lost six pints and is still in the ICU, although the prognosis is better. The other Pilot was not badly injured.

Best wished to Ian and his Family.

Ian J Holder

Squadgy
4th Aug 2003, 02:53
Ian - thanks for that, Ian Sixsmith taught me to fly at Woodford where I also used to work part-time.

Please pass on my best wishes to him for a speedy recovery, tell him the ex Aviation Manchester guys send him their best.

Negative 'G'
5th Aug 2003, 02:57
Is this guy the infamous 'Billy Pickles' ? Or have I got my wires crossed.:confused:

Neg G

StrateandLevel
5th Aug 2003, 04:36
Same name; different person!

Squadgy
17th Aug 2003, 01:00
Hi,

Any update on Ian at all?

Spiney Norman
17th Aug 2003, 06:14
Heard from Blackpool contacts that Ian is improving and is soon due to be moved to a hospital closer to his home, not sure which one this would be, (Wythenshawe)?

Spiney

dope05
26th Aug 2003, 19:01
Ian is still in Intensive Care at the Countess of Chester Hospital. He has had a number of operations and is improving. He is being kept under sedation

Ian J Holder 26/08/03

I am who I am
28th Aug 2003, 16:36
I was really sorry to hear of this accident.

Ian had been a friend of mine for many years - I first met him at Blackpool in 1982 when I was on a flying scolarship at ANT and eventually I instructed at MSF when he was CFI there.

I will let you know if I hear anything further.

Ian_Wannabe
28th Aug 2003, 21:43
Ian Sixsmith?? As in Chester flying schools CFI??

Please keep this thread close to the top and keep us updated on his recovery - cheers

dope05
29th Aug 2003, 01:59
Yes, Ian is CFI at CFS

Dope05

dope05
1st Sep 2003, 17:05
Ian is now in Trafford General, out of the ICU and improving.

I am who I am
2nd Sep 2003, 18:15
Good to hear that, dope05. Is he able to have visitors yet?

P.S. not seen you for a while, Noddy. What are you up to now?

ariel
2nd Sep 2003, 18:40
Hope for a speedy recovery for Ian.

Did the latter part of my training at Hawarden, so remember him quite well.

ariel

cessna l plate
5th Sep 2003, 00:15
Ian was CFI @ MSF when I first got the flying bug in the early 90's. What a top bloke, and a b@@@@y good pilot.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Sky Express
8th Sep 2003, 07:12
Have just got back from being away and shocked to hear about Ians accident.Was going to catch up with him for a beer anyway,but before I phone Mrs Six,any further news on his recovery??