PDA

View Full Version : aus -> can conversion info req (cpl)

insertnamehere
1st Aug 2003, 13:21
Good evening

Firstly a bit of background.... I'm an Oz cpl, me cir (2renewals) oz grade 2 instructor (i know thats not much good) about 1250hrs, about 100 twin, Oz ATPL theory.

Am currently staying in toronto (brampton) with access to a vehicle. Am after any recommendations as to places I should go to convert my aussie cpl to canadian. My understanding is that it will be a theory exam then a flight test. Obviously medical first.

With regards to the theory, what text(s) would be required for that? And is anyone prepared to sell their old one, or offer any suggestions?

I am also under the impression that an oz me cir will be automatically converted given 50hrs multi command... can anyone confirm this?

I would also like to do my canadian atpl subjects..... What are the useful texts for doing this? And once again, is anyone prepared to part with theirs?

My ultimate plan is to fly in the vast north... hopefully yellowknife or whitehorse or somewhere similar. I will be driving up there early next year. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!!!

Thank you in advance,

please reply or pm me

regards,

insert :ok:

pittss2b
2nd Aug 2003, 10:15
Canadian Pilot Licence conversion
http://www.harvsair.com/training/conversions/index.htm

insertnamehere
3rd Aug 2003, 05:09
cheers, thanks for that!

Dutcher
4th Aug 2003, 01:31
Hey Mate,

I did my Aviation degree in Australia, with the CPL and ATPL Theory. , at Newcastle in NSW.

As for CPL conversation. The Canadian theory one is heaps easy compared to the Australian. But here in Canada you can't bring in your documents (i.e., CARs, CAOs, CAAP), you must know the regs. I suggest having a go at the PSTAR Exam (which you have to sit before you go solo here in Canada) you can find it on my cadet website:

http://www.geocities.com/flyingschol/Resources.htm

You'll have to get an AIP (which is like the Australian ones but with a summary of stuff from the CAR, CAOs, ect). You can get that at like any flight school for like 50.00$ CAD.

The main text they use here is the From the Ground Up (FTGU), again get it from any flight school for about 30-40CAD. It's piss compared to the Thoms, ect.

As per the ATPLs (there's only 2 exams) and you have to the hours before you can sit them.

You should have a look at the Transport Canada (TC) website, same as CASA, at URL:

www.tc.gc.ca/

Exam Study and References:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/exams/guides/menu.htm

Personnel Licencing:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/menu.htm

Good luck with the lot.

Cheers,

Dutcher

insertnamehere
5th Aug 2003, 00:04
thanks dutcher... extremely helpful :)

regards,

insert

wrenchbender
6th Aug 2003, 23:42
You say you are staying in Brampton, with access to a car. Get in the car and drive to Pearson Airport. It's 10 minutes away. There is a Transport Canada office at the airport, it's where we do all our licence renewals, etc. It's in the GTAA (Greater Toronto Airport Authority) building on Carlingview Drive, south side of airport.

They will answer all your questions. Only problem is, in all my dealings with Transport over the years, you sometimes get different answers to the same question, depends which person you talk to!

Good luck!

insertnamehere
10th Aug 2003, 06:16
Yeah thanks wrenchbender... sounds exactly like CASA at home!!!

Was wondering earlier on if I had to go all the way downtown to see TC (like CASA offices at major airports), so thanks for clearing that up.

Have visited a flying club who didnt really seem to know how to go about it. All they said was talk to TC!! I guess all paths lead there, so that's my next port of call.

Have got the AIP's too... don't really think that From The Ground Up is going to be much use... anyone disagree?

Regards,

Insert

MLS-12D
12th Aug 2003, 06:08
Get in the car and drive to Pearson Airport. It's 10 minutes away. There is a Transport Canada office at the airport, it's where we do all our licence renewals, etc. It's in the GTAA (Greater Toronto Airport Authority) building on Carlingview Drive, south side of airport.You can go there if you like, but I'd suggest that it is worth making the drive to Transport Canada's Hamilton office, where Sue Davidson can always be relied upon to be as helpful as possible.

polarkiwi
18th Aug 2003, 00:29
Hey- I had a kiwi licence and converted and this is what I found
I had a CPL- so I had to do the 2 or so CPL exams, then the IFR exam, then a CPL flight test, then an IFR flight test.

If you had an ATPL its FAR less......

So the whole meal. However its much easier than the 7 or so exams you have to do in NZ or Aussie as the subjects are less detailed here.

As for the ATPL exams- well if you have the cash- just do the weekend areo course. You cant fail.

I also did the IFR weekend course in Vancouver- when I first arrived and found it kinda useful as they fly in different directions here (odds and evens) and have some slight differences ie reported vis , airspace etc.

And the real kicker- its WAY cheaper here- everyone thinks its pricey to do an exam or flight test, they ain't seen nothing re user pays.

;)