PDA

View Full Version : Someone help - Am I the youngest???

Thewigmeister
1st Aug 2003, 06:03
Hey all, this is my first post, so bear with me...

I am really not sure about this, but I gained a PPL(A) about 1 1/2 years ago, (on my first attempt, might I add :p ) and my licence now reads that I gained it on my 17th birthday, which is (I think) the youngest age you can get one under JAR rules. I also soloed on my 16th birthday.
Has anyone else done this? If so please get in touch, I'd love to know if I really am the first to have done this.

Thanks in anticipation (and possibly fear)

Stephen Wigfield

Flock1
1st Aug 2003, 07:26
I went solo after 4 hours ( in a Sopwith Camel ), and passed the licence when I was 15 (I told the authorities I was 18) - this was back in 1943. I soon moved on to 'Spits' and was stationed in Malta........

okay, all a lie. I went solo aged 31 (in a C-152), and passed about 8 months later in 2003! But Iwish that I had done it all when aged 16! Good luck to you mate.

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Aug 2003, 07:41
Hello Wigmeister,

First of all welcome to the club!

The Kentish Fledgling has just soloed last Friday on his 16th birthday and is set to finish the PPL on his 17th so you have competition.

Am sure he will come onto this thread and share his experiences.

Bon vols

FD

Rupert S
1st Aug 2003, 15:17
...I'm soloing on my 16th birthday in 8 days' time on the 10th :O
As far as I know, a few poeple have done a similar thing but I don't think numbers exceed 200 or so.

AerBabe
1st Aug 2003, 15:53
A lot of us would have liked to, but we couldn't find part-time jobs that fitted round our school work and paid well enough. :rolleyes:

I was almost an old fart when I finally got my licence. :{

Wingover79
1st Aug 2003, 17:25
I started flying just before my 15th birthday, soloed on my 17th and eventually got my licence when I was 18. I really envy those that can now go solo when they are 16...apart from how fantastic it would have been, I would have also saved some money.

Aerbabe,

Better late than never. I know how you feel though, my flying was and still is restricted by lack of finance rather than lack of motivation. I was however, incredibly lucky and had extremely supportive parents and part-time jobs in the airfield cafe and flying club that enabled me to get my PPL at such a young age.

:ok: WO79

Whirlybird
1st Aug 2003, 17:41
Aerbabe,
You are most DEFINITELY not an old fart!! because if you are, what does that make me? :eek: :{ :{

Stephen,
Welcome to PPRune, and don't be nervous; we're a nice bunch on the whole. There are a few people around who've soloed on their 16th birthday and got their licence on their 17th; they turn up in the relevant local papers and flying mags now and then. But not a lot; you'll definitely be one of an elite. ;) Good luck.

I too wish I could have learned to fly earlier. But does it really matter? If I'd learned to fly when I was 16, what would I do now at weekends? Fly? Having learned to fly at...ahem, a much greater age ;) ...what do I do now at weekends? Fly? It's no different, and I don't feel any different...though I may look it. :{ Actually if I'd learned to fly at 16 I might well be bored with it and off doing something totally different by now I suppose.

Kirstey
1st Aug 2003, 18:02
The Wigmaster, a guy at Ace Aviation in Shoreham, passed his skills test at 16yrs 8 month. Can't have his issued until his birthday, but we believe he may be the youngest to pass his skills test. 16yrs 6months is the youngest you can pass.

Dan Winterland
1st Aug 2003, 20:08
A chap I used to fly with in the RAF finished his PPL on his 17th birthday. This was in the mid eighties when you had to be 17 to fly solo under the old CAA rules, so this was quite an achievement.

He did it by soloing in a glider on his 16th birhtday. He then went on to acheive his 'Silver C' well before his 17th. In those days, to convert a 'Silver C' to a PPL, you had to fly enough dual instruction to pass the GFT and validate it with 3 hours solo flight. He did the GFT before his birthday, got up early enough on the day, flew the solo hours and then hotfooted it down to the CAA (Kingsway, Holborn in those days) and got the licence issued there and then.

BTW The Wigmeister, Both my sons have ambitions to emulate your acheivement.

Dimensional
2nd Aug 2003, 02:19
Afraid not mate: went solo on my 16th (left school early to go do it :) ), GFT at 16y 10m, PPL issued on my 17th. Had it for nearly two years now.

Thewigmeister
2nd Aug 2003, 02:53
Thanks for the input guys (and girls!)

At least it's good to know that there are more like me out there (what is the world coming to? sob, sob) who've managed this incredible feat.

BTW Dan, keep pushing the boys to do what they want to do. Sometimes us young 'uns need a little encouragement. (Good luck, by the way!)

Thanks ever so much :ok:

Steve

DBChopper
2nd Aug 2003, 06:37
I was another airfield weekend/school holiday worker who started learning at 16 then soloed at 17 (before I'd even soloed in a car) in a Piper Tomahawk, G-KING, which I seem to remember ended up broken in a field somwhere a few years later. I eventually gained my licence at age 32, er, in a helicopter!

:uhoh:

WelshFlyer
2nd Aug 2003, 09:07
I'm hoping to do the same - but make it a tripple whammy, and take my CPL on my 18th!:)

Unfortunately it might not be on my 18th It'll probably when I have enough time/money/hours!:(

After that go bush flying:) :) :)

Welcome to the club - and it's nice to see fellow teenage pilots!

WelshFlyer.