PDA

View Full Version : Flying in France/Germany - Flight Plans

TangoZulu
1st Aug 2003, 05:55
Reading my new trip kit for Germany, it suggests that flying between Germany and any Schengen country (e,g France) a flight plan is not required for VFR?

Can anyone confirm their experiences of this?

Does it apply to G registered aircraft or only aircraft of the countires in question?

Thanks

TZ

Keef
1st Aug 2003, 06:07
Oo-er.

AFAIK, a flight plan is needed for all flights crossing an international boundary, apart from a few very specific exceptions (which I can't remember off the top of my head, but might have been something like Aachen and Liège).

FlyingForFun
1st Aug 2003, 15:49
No idea, to tell the truth. But even if it's maybe not required, why not file one to be on the safe side? It's certainly not a big effort to do so!

FFF
-----------

bluskis
1st Aug 2003, 17:08
There was a notice issued earlier this year which stated that a flight plan was required, with appropriate time period before departure, even if only crossing an international border, without intending to land in that country.

This could happen where borders zig zag.

As others have said, and as advised for flights over adverse terrain or water, why not file anyway.

Lomcovaks
2nd Aug 2003, 04:24
When touring Italy in June this year I had difficulty in making almost any flight without filing a flight plan despite following the guidance in the AIC and carrying an ELT on board and declaring this before departure.

When departing Italy for Austria (via Brenner) and leaving Austria for France (overflying Germany) I filed flight plans on both occassions and was expected to do so. What was NOT required was to inform Customs of my departure or arrival.

Hope this helps.

Lom.