PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Bank Angle Limits With Reduced Performance

used2flyboeing
28th Jul 2003, 00:20
Dear friends,

Does AIRBUS's Fly-by-wire system automatically limit bank angle or sideslip as a function of reduce performance - such as an engine failure on takeoff. Ive heard they add split aileron on the A340-500/600s to the good side to add drag to maintain track.

FlyMD
28th Jul 2003, 01:34
It's been a while since I touched the 'bus, but I remember a few things:

Bank angle is basically limited to 67deg, with the flight control system returning it to 33deg when you release the stick. In normal control mode, that's always the same..

Now, with autopilot on, the system will recognise an EF situation and fly the procedures with 15deg bank angle until "green dot" speed is reached, green dot being a function of VS. As long as the autopilot is on, sideslip is also controlled, but I don't remember what the limit is...

With autopilot off, no limit is made on sideslip, except of course the traditional rudder throw limiter as a function of speed...

lizard drinking
1st Aug 2003, 08:55
Although the single engine performance for turns is calculated using a bank angle of 15 degrees, I am not aware of any need to actually fly that angle. So long as speed is high enough (V2 plus 10?) the pilot can use normal bank even with one engine inop. Comment? Relevant?

prim1
1st Aug 2003, 13:10
Not the case.

15deg AOB up til characteristic -10kts.then linear increase up to 25deg AOB permitted til char-3kts