PDA

View Full Version : Solo flying

TheKentishFledgling
27th Jul 2003, 22:36
After all the lovely weather we've become accustomed to over the last few weeks, it seemed grossly unfair that it looked like Friday 25th (my 16th) was going to dodgy weather wise.

The cat woke me up early on Friday morning, when it was just starting to get light. A look out of the window at this time looked fairly good - high whispy clouds, and not much wind. Being 4.15 in the morning, this could of course been my imagination :-)

I got up properly at about seven, when things were starting to look iffy on the wind front, but cloudbase wise, all still looked ok. A look at the TAFs and METARs showed that it could go either way - Southend were giving strong winds (gusting up to about 20 knots), but in the direction that would be almost straight down Manston's runway. Southend's TAF showed that the wind would increase in speed and become more southerly, and the cloudbase would drop between 0900 and 1200.

As soon as Manston's weather reports came in, I started to worry seriously, as they were giving 17017G27KT, with Manston's runway being 10/28.

We left home around eight, and as soon as we could see Manston's wind sock, I knew that at Manston it would be a definate no no, as the wind was now straight across the runway. I walked into the flying club, and Russ, my instructor said "if you're still happy, we're going to Rochester".

He had their plate out on the desk, and had just spoken to them, and they were happy to accept a first solo student from Manston. At the time they were in drizzle with a southerly eight knot wind.

After saying a hasty goodbye to my family and followers, Russ and I boarded Cessna 152 G-BTAL, taxied to Manston's runway 28 (as I said, the wind was now straight across now), and departed. Approach asked us to report the cloudbase, which was at 1500' QNH.

On the way over we spoke about landing on grass. The main problem apparnatly was going to be me thinking we were too fast on a shorter runway, and braking too hard, which could result in skidding. I was strongly advised not to do this :-)

After twenty five minutes following the Kent coast, we found ourselves joining left base for Rochester's runway 20 where a right hand circuit was in use. When we called inbound, their QFE was 996, and by the time we reported left base, it had dropped down to 994, and Rochester is fairly high at 436' AMSL.

My first landing at Rochester was awful, with a distinct lack of flare, which resulted in a rather heavy landing I was then careful to raise flap only to 10 degrees, as we only had 800 metres to operate from, as opposed to Manston's 2700 :-)

My first full circuit was a bit ropey, as I tried to get a grip on the landmarks I'd be seeing in the circuit. The next landing wasn't so bad.

Climbing out a few circuits later (I had on one climb out, spotted my families cars in the car park, so I knew they'd arrived safely), we spoke about EFATOs at Rochester. At Manston, these are fairly simple - lower the nose and get 65 on the ASI, and you'll hopefully be able to land back on the runway! Operating from Rochester's 20 wasn't so simple. After talking to Russ, we decided that the best bet would be to turn gently right, and land on the motorway being careful to try and land _with_ the traffic. If this wasn't possible, I'd slow the aeroplane right down and land it gently on the trees that are where nice flat fields should be :-) So on the next climb out, Russ chopped the power, and as soon as I'd lowered the nose, we climbed away. "There's not a lot else we can practice without breaking a lot of rules," were Russ' words.

By now we'd flown three or four circuits, and I started to feel confident. My main fear would be that, having come from Manston, the shorter runway at Rochester would be a problem - it wasn't! We were using well under half.

By now, I was hoping to be told to call "Thanet 05, downwind to LAND" as opposed to "downwind to touch and go", but each time, my heart was sinking just that little bit lower, as I feared that maybe I wasn't flying well enough to solo that day.

On the seventh landing, as we touched down Russ said "ok, brake gently, so we don't skid, like we discussed". He then said something along the lines of: "Thanet 05, request taxy to the tower to send a student on his first solo". ****, I thought, this is actually going to happen.

We stopped right by the tower, and Russ unstrapped, and climbed out. Before walking away he ran over what he wanted me to do. I'm sure all he said was absorbed at the time, but now I only remember him saying "the main thing, enjoy it", and then seeing him walking off towards the tower.

Without an instructor on board I'd now become "Thanet AL", so I called ready to taxy for a circuit.

There was a blue robin down at the hold, and by the time I had taxyed down to where he was, he was still there. As I didn't have to do any powerchecks, I was a bit unsure whether to wait for the Robin to go, or call ready for departure before him. The pilots of the Robin must have sensed this, as they were grinning and gesturing me to go before them. "Thanet AL take off at your discretion," I was told, and I found myself trundling down Rochester's runway. All that people say about the aeroplane accelerating quicker is definitely true, and I soon found myself at 55 knots, and I was flying :D

I honestly don't remember much of the circuit - it's all blurred!! I do though remember passing through a tiny whisp of cloud at 600' while turning crosswind, and panicking slightly, but luckily I was through it before it had registered with me!

The landing I think was fairly good - I was cafeful to keep it bang on 65 knots, and I touched down right on the 20 numbers. While braking (gently!) I got the call (it was exactly this): "Thanet AL, taxy to the end of 20 to where you were before you kicked the instructor out, many congratulations from us all, and happy birthday". I think it was here I finally realised that I'd flown solo, and apparantly this was reflected in my response to the call from the tower - you could supposedly hear my laughing as a replied :-)

As I taxyed up onto the concrete by the Rochester car park, I saw all my friends and fmaily flocking down from the tower. After shutting down, I was told to "stay where you are" for the cameras.

We then went over to Steve R's caff to enter the flights into my logbook, and de-brief. I think the workmen in the caff were a bit miffed when Steve saw me walk in (grinning from ear to ear) and shouted "Ed just soloed - well done!" - but thanks Steve :-)

After logging up, it was up to the tower to settle up the landing fees, and I was presented with a duplicate flight strip of my solo flight - I will treasure it.

Finally, _many_ thanks to all those people that have sent words of encouragement, advice and help over the last few weeks. Also thanks to those that have taken me flying on various occasions. The experience gained with you has, I'm sure, helped me infinitely in my flying - I hope when I've got my licence (all things going to plan, less than a year!!!), I'll one day be able to take you flying, in return for the flights you've taken me on

tKF

PS Thanks stik for letting the Private Flying crew know the solo had happened!

rustle
27th Jul 2003, 23:34
So now you've been solo you're an author as well :ok:

Nice write-up - thanks Ed :D

Rupert S
27th Jul 2003, 23:55
Well - done, I didn't realised you had soloed so recently! Looks like I'll be next flying out of Elstree on either the 10th or 11th.

Aerobatic Flyer
28th Jul 2003, 00:16
Well done! :ok:

Hope everything stays on track for PPL issue in 363 days!

stiknruda
28th Jul 2003, 02:08
Ed's gone solo, Aerbabe is about to enter her first aerobatic contest and Stik is worried:

2005 Advanced Aerobatic National Champion

1st Aerbabe
2nd tKf (Ed)
3rd Sinkrate
4th Coriolis the crab (B U S T E D ! ! ! ! ! ! )
x
x
x
x
8th Ludwig

Intermediate level

1st Paulo
x
x
x
x
x

Standard level

43rd Stik

Que val a pena

Stik

paulo
28th Jul 2003, 06:48
Stik, I feel honoured. Even to appear in a fictional result list is probably the highlight of my aerobatic career :ok:

tkf, v. cool. The only thing I disapprove of, is, how OLD I now feel. :rolleyes:

PS Anyone caught up with you about the kitty from the last bash? I dunno, these whipper snapper pilot types :}

bar shaker
28th Jul 2003, 18:34
Well done TKF:D

My 13 year old daughter flies all over the place with me and really wants to learn. I think she should wait a couple of years, but wondered how old you were when you started your training?

AerBabe
28th Jul 2003, 18:40
Aerbabe is about to enter her first aerobatic contest She is?! :eek:

stiknruda
28th Jul 2003, 18:43
She is?!

yes and I know where, when and in what!

See you in 5 weeks

Stik:E

AerBabe
28th Jul 2003, 18:49
Sorry Ed, I was so shocked by Stik's post I forgot to say Well Done!!!! :ok: Nice write up too.

Stik - You're not going to be there watching are you?? :{ I might have to take my teddy with me... 5 weeks. :bored:

stiknruda
28th Jul 2003, 18:51
Aerbabe, I'll be there as will most of the BAeA.

And yes - we will be watching!

You will be fine.

Stik

eveepee
28th Jul 2003, 20:46
TKF : Well Done !:D Hope you liked Rochester.

paulo
28th Jul 2003, 22:28
AB in the Nationals then... that's at least 'Standard'... I think I'm getting overtaken. Rapidly. :{

TheKentishFledgling
28th Jul 2003, 22:51
Thanks everyone :D

AB - how about organising a little supporters group to come and watch? :}

tKF

Rupert S
28th Jul 2003, 23:01
Barshaker, I started when I was 14. Whether there was much point in starting that early is questionable but I've sure as hell enjoyed it!

TheKentishFledgling
28th Jul 2003, 23:23
barshaker - I've been flying regularly since I was 12. I started the licence when I was 14.

To be honest, apart from the fact it's nice to get cracking on the licence, and be able to log the time 'propa, I wouldn't recommend starting the licence until you're nearly solo age.

Unless you're going to be flying regularly, you'll spend a lot of time and money going over things you've done before.

Once you've soloed, you can do everything, including the GFT.

tKF

bar shaker
31st Jul 2003, 00:39
Thanks Ed and Rupert, pretty much what I guessed. She is 15 in 18 months time and I thought that the first 10 lessons would be a good 15th birthday present.

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2003, 04:55
TKF,

Nice one - not so much of the fledgling now! :ok:

Cheers

SD