PDA

View Full Version : I would love to have a go in a ???????????

BRL
26th Jul 2003, 04:08
Hi all. Reading another thread made me think how much i would love to have a go in a chippy. I used to see them all the time, sometimes in formation, sometimes alone, presumably from RAF Valley or the one near Southport, flying over the Wirral when I was younger and I still love watching them flying about even now. (blatent plug, if anyone can offer us a go let me know.) :)
I also love the Pitts. This goes back to my youth when the Rothmans one used to be seen flying around around at various displays in the north-west. I still love seeing them and was lucky enough to see two at the fly-in we had at Popham last year.

So what would you like to have a go in and why?

Over to you.......

Warped Factor
26th Jul 2003, 04:17
BRL,

Our Chipmunk is minus tailplane at the moment for one of the many recurring TNS's that have to be done, but if you want to come up to White Waltham when it's back in one piece again you're welcome for a jolly.

WF.

BRL
26th Jul 2003, 04:21
Bloody hell WF you are a gentleman. I would be over the moon to go for a spin, just tell me where and when and I will be there. :cool: :ok:

Aerobatic Flyer
26th Jul 2003, 04:26
Wow! Well, seeing as BRL's wish came true so quickly, here goes.....

I'd love a go in a Spitfire!

Anyone out there offering jollies???

BRL
26th Jul 2003, 04:37
Actually there is and I am on to sorting something out with the owner. Looking at taking 6 people along. Nothing confirmed yet, but its looking good. Might cost a few quid but hey, its a Spit.!!!

Keep an eye on the forum for an announcement soon. :)

Speedbird252
26th Jul 2003, 04:44
Vought Corsair, one hell of a mean looking ar$e kicking machine....

The engine looks way to big for the rest of the airframe........oh yes please.

Speedy dreaming
:zzz:

witchdoctor
26th Jul 2003, 04:45
Hmmm, let's see...............

Any fast jet would be great. Always wanted to fly the Harrier before I decided to scrub the (very) fledgling RAF career, but a low level jolly in the Hawk would be a good substitute (the low level trip with my bro in a JP MkIII was good but not the same). The Tucano is also pretty cool and I would love one as a plaything.

Retired (RAF) jets, would have to include the Vulcan and the Phantom - my absolute favourites as a kid and the a/c that made me want to be a pilot.

WW2 vintage it would be the Spit and the Mossie - probably the 2 most gorgeous (in every way) aeroplanes ever built.

But anything free is always welcome!:ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Jul 2003, 04:47
Anything really!

FD

Averaging a new type per 10 or so hours to date so keen to keep that up.

Whirlybird
26th Jul 2003, 05:01
A Hughes 500. Or a Gazelle. Any offers?

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Jul 2003, 05:15
Beaver. On floats of course.

There's some here (http://www.brettward.co.uk/family/beaver.htm), some of which I've been for a ride in, but none of which anyone has let me drive.

dublinpilot
26th Jul 2003, 05:16
I've always wanted to fly a Cirrus. SR20 or SR22. I just love new airplanes, especially ones as well designed and equipped as a Cirrus. ;)

But since I'm over here in Dublin, there's probably not much point in any kind offers!

Though I hope to make it over for one of the bashes sometime! Maybe next year. :)

I ment to try to hire an SR20 when in USA last year, but could only find Cessna's in Las Vegas! Oh well, some day :)

dp

springers
26th Jul 2003, 05:52
BRL you mean Woodvale. Spent many a happy hour (as an air cadet) in the back seat of a Chippy over the Lancashire coast. "Can we do aeros please sir?" never failed.

Please may I have a ride in a Spitfire. Otherwise a Tornado would be pretty cool.

Back in the 70's the VC10 was the dogs b******s - would love a jump seat ride in one.

S

Slim20
26th Jul 2003, 06:55
P-51 Mustang
A-26 Invader

That's about as sexy as piston engine aviation ever got

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jul 2003, 07:04
A Tornado, one of the only true 2-seat fast jets ever developed (by which I mean it's absolutely reliant upon both crew to operate it in co-ordination). I've always wanted to get a couple of hours in the back of one to learn how this all works and co-ordinates.

And maybe a Gloster Meteor, to see how fast jets started off.

G

Pink_aviator
26th Jul 2003, 07:05
I'd like a ride in something that would
"TAKE ME OVER THE RAINBOW"

Well you lot are dreaming to.

AND THEN

"ALONG THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD"

Or a ride in a pink ballon to
"Never Never land.

PINK-AVIATOR

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Jul 2003, 07:45
Spitfire. Single seater. Nothing else would come close.

SSD

Evo
26th Jul 2003, 14:29
Spitfire or Hunter - and you need a reason? :)

but back in the real world, a Chippy or Cap 10 would be just fine

Warped Factor
26th Jul 2003, 15:04
BRL,

I'll keep you posted.

Hard to list just one a/c I'd like a go in. Not too fussed about fast jets (though I probably wouldn't turn down getting launched off and trapping back on a carrier in an F-18 or similar), it would have to be one of......Constellation, Mosquito, Spitfire or Bearcat I think.

WF.

AerBabe
26th Jul 2003, 17:24
Tricky question...

Most unrealistic: Harrier. Have always loved fast jets, and the Harrier really is something special.

Just unrealistic: P-51D Mustang - Is an explanation necessary?
Fairey Gannet - Ugly things, but strangely compelling...
Sea Vixen - Another one needing no explanation.

Possible?: Yak 3 - Gorgeous but mean looking things!

Possible!: Stampe - I have a thing for open-cockpit biplanes, and apparently this is one of the nicest.

There are loads of other aircraft I'd like to try out. Anything not in my logbook is a contender, and anything with a jet would be a great experience. Big/small, aerobatic/tourer, I just want to try them all!

Guess having a job would be a good start...

flower
26th Jul 2003, 17:54
The Harrier, it has to be the sexiest aircraft in existence.

The Spitfire or Mosquito

and a balloon trip at dawn over the Serengeti

:D

Saab Dastard
26th Jul 2003, 18:40
B25, B17, B29... drool

In fact, B anything!

Lancaster, Stirling, Catalina, Halifax, Sunderland - the list goes on.

I just have a thing for multi-engine pistons, 30's - 50's

Sigh.

SD

BEXIL160
27th Jul 2003, 00:50
Sea Fury No doubt about it. Have watched my copy ofJohn Beattie's cockpit video of the two seat version MANY times and mentally flown with him.... beautiful. Often think about it when I fly down in Portland area (in a Warrior it's not quite the same though):)

For something slightly bigger I'd love to fly a B26 Marauder. (there's one left so you never know).

Rgds BEX

Dantruck
27th Jul 2003, 01:16
A Huey and a Clockwork Mouse

Dantruck

BeauMan
27th Jul 2003, 02:33
In the realms of dreamland, I'd love to have a backseat circuit in a certain Beaufighter when it's finally flying. Gonna be a VERY long time before she's up though, so back to reality...

I'd love to fly in anything that's got an open cockpit; Tiger Moth, Stampe, Maggie, any of the Shuttleworth flutteries. That's real aviation.

Flying in a Chipmunk again is another thing I really must do, but I've set myself a personal mission in life to find out who owns WB569, and try to get myself another go in that for old times sake. She took me aloft for my first ever flight you see, so I'm rather fond of the old girl... ;)

formationfoto
27th Jul 2003, 02:49
BRL
I know Norfolk is somewhat out of the way for you (actually it is out of the way for most people) but seeing that I now have said a/c back in action the welcome is extended to you as well.

Warped Factor
27th Jul 2003, 02:52
BeauMan,

Do a search on the G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/ginfo/search.asp) web site of the CAA using G-BYSJ as the reg and you'll find out that WB569 now lives in Belgium, or at least that's where the registered owner lives.

WF.

Lowtimer
27th Jul 2003, 04:06
I've been very, very lucky over the last few years in that many of my dreams from earlier times have come true - being reunited with the Chipmunk, getting into part-ownership of a Yak-52, flying the Tiger Moth, Cap-10B, Pitts S2, and Extra 300. Given vast piles of money I'd love to work up through the T-6 / TF-51D route, but lots of people will probably mention those types, so for future daydreams of a more individual nature let's say:
- Hawker Hart (or Hart variant)
- Hawker Hurricane
- Hawker Tempest
- Hawker Sea Fury
- Hawker Sea Hawk
Is there a pattern here I wonder? to break it let's add --
- P.38 Lightning
- T-38 Talon (my very favourite fast jet, don't really understand why, and finally one I might actually achieve one day if my luck holds)
- Yak-50, with the MT 3-blader and 400hp engine. or, failing that, the new Yak-52TW. Delicious!

DBChopper
27th Jul 2003, 04:59
Um....

Agusta 109 (fellow PPRuNers could sip cocktails in the back)

Sea King - just because

EC120 - sexiest heli I've seen in a long while

by the way, Whirly, I'll happily hold your chart if you get to play in the 500...

:ok:

Taildragger
27th Jul 2003, 05:03
Scruggs Wonderplane for me.

flower
27th Jul 2003, 05:45
DBChopper,
I was very lucky a few years back to take the controls of an A109 defo worth it :ok:

Hope you get the chance

j0_ey
27th Jul 2003, 05:51
B1B Lancer - Utterly amazing!
Harrier
F-14
Apache
Spitfire
SR71 Blackbird
Stealth Fighter and Bomber
Boeing 747 (One day!)
MiG 29
Spruce Goose :=

The list is endless, but I'll stop now :p

BeauMan
27th Jul 2003, 06:02
WarpedFactor,

Cheers for that - she was still at Duxford as of Flying Legends, tucked away in the back of hangar 2 north. I heard that she'd previously been on the Swedish register, but was now owned by ARC, whose boss is Karel Bos, who is Belgian, hence the address of the registered owner. Now I just need to find out who to grovel and/or pay money to in order to be reunited with that lovely old Chippie. Blimey, just seen on G-INFO, she's 19 years older than me! :eek:

By the way, it's still a while away, but when I get my PPL re-done I'd like to look at joining a Chippy group. Don't suppose you know of any that are active in the Cambridgeshire area at all...?

BeauMan

md 600 driver
27th Jul 2003, 07:22
whirly
missed you at sherburn but the offer still stands in the gaz or the 600 when its back from repair[sorry no 500 but the 600 is sexier]

QNH 1013
28th Jul 2003, 02:56
I must have different tastes:

Evans VP1 (yes I am serious and hope to fly one in the next few weeks)
Monnett Sonerai
Monnett Sonex
RV7
DH Dragon Rapide
Stampe
Anything with a rotary engine
Hawker Hurricane

I've been lucky enough to fly quite a few of the lower-powered ones that have already been mentioned so they are no-longer on my list.

Kingy
28th Jul 2003, 03:12
QNH.. Me too!

Here is my list:

Cosmic Wind
Cassutt Racer
Tipsy 'B'
Pilatus B4 glider
Fournier RF4
Mooney Mite
Aeronca C100
Ercoupe 415 (no rudder pedals)
E2 Cub
Taylorcraft L2

...Oh and Concorde!

I think the term is 'Personal Airplanes' - they are my thing. A personal Concorde would be nice too! - I'll ask RB :D

Kingy

Megaton
28th Jul 2003, 03:12
I've been lucky enough to fly in Hawks, Jaguars and JPs but I've always wanted a trip in a Tornado for the simple reason that I worked on some of its systems for a few years and would love to see them operate in earnest.

flyingfemme
28th Jul 2003, 05:19
In my dreams - Phantom. Big, brash and beautiful......

One day, maybe - Paris Jet. I can just see the Chanel bags piled up in the back!

paulo
28th Jul 2003, 06:29
Taildragger

If you mean the Scruggs Industries Carbon Wundastunta*, no probs: I'm working on the design. Should be ready to fly in a few years. I've dispensed with 'rubbish' full wing ailerons, and decided on opposed all moving wings for a 1000 degree per second roll rate. More high performance innovations to come. :-)

* Ref: "Better Aerobatics", A.Cassidy, 2003. ;)

SKYYACHT
28th Jul 2003, 12:30
Well, I must be a bit of a saddo, because I have always hankered to fly a Dagling Primary Gliding Trainer....just a frame and a wing.....bungee launched. On the powered side of things, my list for Santa is as follows...

SE5a
Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
Avro 504K
Hawker Hart/Fury
Issacs Fury......(Hmmm, still saving the pennies!)
Avro Anson
Spitfire V
Bf 109G
Silence

That ought to do it!

Blueskies.:ok:

DamienB
28th Jul 2003, 20:54
Spitfire. Which I'd also love to do an air to air shoot with (mind you that goes for most types), but nobody will let me :{

paulc
28th Jul 2003, 21:50
Saab Dastard,

I know where there are 2 PBY's one complete and one in kit form it you want a look round them sometime.

astir 8
28th Jul 2003, 21:56
Skyyacht

there's a two seater "primary" glider called a G2, built in Denmark in the 1940's, which turns up at all the international vintage glider rallies. I had a winch launch in (on) it in Germany last year - best laugh I've had with my clothes on in years - got some excellent video footage of of my feet and 1500 feet of air, straight down, which causes some pilots to cringe.

It cost me the price of a winch launch (£3). So that dream can come true, in the right place at the right time! I can email you a photo if you like

Julian
28th Jul 2003, 23:54
Has to be

BD-5J

WelshFlyer
29th Jul 2003, 02:14
Let's see;

DHC.2 Beaver (Delicious)
Sopwith Camel or Pup,
Avro 504,
Any of the shuttleworth birds,
A trip in a Tornado would be nice, but I prefer"proper flying"

Hope this gives an insight as to the desires of a trainee bush-pilot!

WelshFlyer.

ratsarrse
29th Jul 2003, 04:15
Lowtimer: with you on the Tempest. Actually, would just like to see one flying again.

I'd love to have a go in an Auster at the moment. I really like the look of them and would like to confirm my good opinion.

SevernTMA
29th Jul 2003, 04:54
Balloon at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta.......please.......anyone?

Kolibear
29th Jul 2003, 04:56
Messenger or Lysander, please. Just so I can compare them to the Koliber.

A Yak or JP, just to try something a little faster.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
29th Jul 2003, 05:02
As someone who grew up near Filton, it has to be...

Concorde :{

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Jul 2003, 05:12
As someone who grew up near FiltonMe too. Which meant I got a tour round the works whilst they were building the thing (conducted by a one time college friend of my mother).

HelenD
29th Jul 2003, 05:28
As someone born in 69 would have t be Concorde - yes I know I dont stand a chance. Shame all Vulcans are grounded too as I could fly in one in memory of an engineer I knew who worked on them. Think for now I will stick to the PA28 and 38's

Wee Jock
29th Jul 2003, 05:58
Must get round to flying in a B747.... have flown in:

Jet Provost
Wessex
Scout
Black Hawk
VC 10
Hercules
Transall
F4
Concorde

It's a funny old world...and a Hurricane would have been nice...
:p :p :p